Talk

Advanced search

Complain about Postman

(58 Posts)
VoyageOfDad Fri 10-Jun-16 08:26:14

Came hope yesterday. Letter on floor. Had wrong name ( i.e. not me) wrong number, wrong street and wrong postcode.

The town was correct I'll give them that !

But I'm gobsmacked that the postman could get it so wrong.

AIBU to ring the post office and complain ?

VoyageOfDad Fri 10-Jun-16 08:26:43

* came home

dementedpixie Fri 10-Jun-16 08:27:22

I wouldn't complain. Just pop it in a postbox and hope it gets there next time

Sirzy Fri 10-Jun-16 08:27:25

I would just stick it back in the letter box, mistakes happen.

Egosumgism Fri 10-Jun-16 08:28:11

of course you are.

Time for a hobby?

AgentProvocateur Fri 10-Jun-16 08:29:35

You should call 101 and report it hmm

acasualobserver Fri 10-Jun-16 08:30:21

Another poster in search of something to feel angry about.

PaulAnkaTheDog Fri 10-Jun-16 08:32:47

Why are you gobsmacked? Ridiculous over reaction!

VoyageOfDad Fri 10-Jun-16 08:41:50

Why are you gobsmacked? Ridiculous over reaction

Because the letter that came through my letter box had literally no relation to the home it was posted to.

I guess I'm a bit old fashioned, but I thought part of the job of a postmen / women was to check the address of a letter before putting into a letter box.

Just me I guess smile

VoyageOfDad Fri 10-Jun-16 08:42:36

Another poster in search of something to feel angry about

Not angry at all.

londonrach Fri 10-Jun-16 08:43:35

Happens all the time i just put it back in the postbox. Its at the sorting office rather than individual postman. You really over reacting!

SecretSpy Fri 10-Jun-16 08:43:39

Either pop it in the post box or hand it back to the postie when you see them, I regularly get other peoples post, can't say I've ever felt miffed.

neddle Fri 10-Jun-16 08:46:36

Did you get other letters? Could it have got stuck to a correct one maybe?

Lurkedforever1 Fri 10-Jun-16 08:48:16

Yanbu. Definitely don't just put it back in the post box. Make a formal complaint demanding the post man/ woman is sacked, and preferably hung, drawn and quartered. You should also contact the daily mail, and magazines and share your real life story about 'the day the wrong post came'.

AliceThrewTheFookingGlass Fri 10-Jun-16 08:48:26

I wouldn't complain but I can see why you're shocked. If they can be so careless with someone else's post they can be careless with yours too.

I had a few parcels delivered a while back and it was only 5 minutes later that I realised one of them wasn't even meant for this street never mind this house. I could see the postie down the street looking a bit confused and went out to give it back. They had realised they had posted it somewhere they shouldn't have but didn't know which house they'd given it to. I could have easily kept that parcel if I wanted to. There was no record of it being given to me.

NeedACleverNN Fri 10-Jun-16 08:49:09

I've had that occasionally. It's it local i pop it in the right letter box. If it's not I put it in the post box to re-delivered.

Not worth getting annoyed about

NerrSnerr Fri 10-Jun-16 08:50:18

I think you should complain. In incompetent fucker should lose his job. Or just put it in the postbox.

VoyageOfDad Fri 10-Jun-16 08:51:33

I think your missing to point.

Yes I too regularly get mixed up mail. Easy to see how it got mixed up, right number wrong road - yep easy mistake. Right road but wrong number - easy mistake.

And like everyone else I usually just pop it into the right letterbox.

This case though there is literally no relation to my address , it's completely random and a two second glance from postie would have averted it.

I'm only asking , jeez , I haven't set a trap for them outside my door !

smile

Mrspopper Fri 10-Jun-16 08:52:13

Oh for goodness sake! Much bigger things in life to worry about . The postman made a mistake. Are you always so quick to make a complaint?! If so your life must be pretty busy writing complaint letters and emails.

NeedACleverNN Fri 10-Jun-16 08:52:53

It's just human error

I don't know how the whole thing works but I'm sure they have an order in their bag and they just pick up the bunch at the time, flick through and deposit.

The letter could have been stuck to another one so wasn't noticed

tibbawyrots Fri 10-Jun-16 08:57:23

AIBU to ring the post office and complain?

Why would you phone the Post Office when post is delivered by Royal Mail? confused

That's like complaining to Tesco about your Sainsbury's order.

Just5minswithDacre Fri 10-Jun-16 08:59:55

Another poster in search of something to feel angry about

confused

Post is meant to go to the correct address, after all, and OP isn't exactly ranting.

PaulAnkaTheDog Fri 10-Jun-16 09:02:04

Op, I don't wish to scare you but... human's make mistakes.

ThenLaterWhenItGotDark Fri 10-Jun-16 09:02:10

If he isn't exactly ranting, I'd be hiding behind a high wall when he is.

Meh. It happens.

I'd perhaps give it back to the postman if I knew I would see him, or drop it into a postbox.

I wouldn't bother starting a MN thread though.

VoyageOfDad Fri 10-Jun-16 09:02:16

Are you always so quick to make a complaint?

I haven't complained about anything yet smile

I'm just asking.

It's not an isolated incident, and as I receive mail not for me, I've also not received mail I've been expecting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now