Talk

Advanced search

To ask if the school can discourage this - sunbathing?

(23 Posts)
iProcrastinate Thu 09-Jun-16 12:41:06

Responsibly, DD's (7) school asks that DCs are sent wth sun cream applied, sun hats and water etc, and I put a little bottle on sunscreen in her bag so she can top herself up as she is very pale and burns easily.

DD came home looking a little scorched, I asked her if she felt ok and she said that she had been sunbathing during break times. I suggested that she shouldn't do that too much as she would burn (she was a bit uncomfortable and sore but not properly burned) and she said that she 'had to' - other girls in her class had told her that when it's sunny, girls 'have to lie in the sun to get brown' - they'd been laying on the field in full sun with their dresses pushed up.

DD isn't a particularly 'easily led' kid, and is cringe more likely to grass a friend up for telling her to do something which isn't allowed than to do it. She merrily grassed up one of her friends for not putting cream on when the teacher asked them to, because her friend said she wanted to be browner. She said she did know it wasn't a good idea but somehow found herself doing it anyway.

I know the school can't watch and supervise every single child at play times, but WIBU to ask her teacher to speak to the class and discourage sunbathing? Or am I firing off at a weird angle - is sunbathing a perfectly acceptable activity for 6 and 7 year olds?

PurpleDaisies Thu 09-Jun-16 12:42:51

Of course they can-they're supervised during break. The people supervising should stop this, just as they'd stop a dangerous game. Have a word with the teacher and get them to pass it on.

araiba Thu 09-Jun-16 13:15:51

why dont you tell her. shes your daughter ffs

OTheHugeManatee Thu 09-Jun-16 13:21:36

when it's sunny, girls 'have to lie in the sun to get brown'

sad

Gottagetmoving Thu 09-Jun-16 13:22:54

why dont you tell her. shes your daughter ffs

I am sure the OP has done this - she wants the teacher to discuss with the class for everyone's benefit. hmm

enterYourPassword Thu 09-Jun-16 13:23:21

Send the teacher a quick email just to let them know what's happening and leave it there.

enterYourPassword Thu 09-Jun-16 13:25:09

As always, I think of a question immediately after posting!

Do you actually 'catch more rays' lying in the sun that running in it ie. sunbathing vs football in exactly the same sun-conditions.

jenniuol Thu 09-Jun-16 13:26:59

I think you're right. A quick chat to the teacher about it would be fine and like you say she can discuss in class with all pupils.

Ffitz Thu 09-Jun-16 13:27:30

That's exactly what I wondered enter. I don't think teachers should interfere unnecessarily in play at break times. It's a chance for children to follow their own ideas and have a bit of freedom. Unless they tell everyone to stay in the shade it's going to be quite hard to police it.

iProcrastinate Thu 09-Jun-16 13:39:17

araiba - of course I told her, it says that in my post!

Thanks everyone, I was on the fence as to whether I was being OTT or not!

sashh Thu 09-Jun-16 16:09:17

Do you actually 'catch more rays' lying in the sun that running in it ie. sunbathing vs football in exactly the same sun-conditions.

You get more on any particular bit of your body in full sun. Lie on your back and you will burn/tan on your front.

Running around it is more likley to be your face and shoulders.

EatShitDerek Thu 09-Jun-16 16:10:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AuntieUrsula Thu 09-Jun-16 17:17:02

Sounds like a pretty boring way to spend break time. They'll probably get tired of it soon and revert to actually playing!

KondosSecretJunkRoom Thu 09-Jun-16 17:23:40

Do you actually 'catch more rays' lying in the sun that running in it ie. sunbathing vs football in exactly the same sun-conditions

Of course. The height of the sun at the summertime means that we cast tiny shadows in the midday sun when we are standing so I would suggest that, yes, that is true.

KondosSecretJunkRoom Thu 09-Jun-16 17:27:51

<awaits someone who knows about such stuff to hand me my ass>

RhiWrites Thu 09-Jun-16 17:28:19

Just tell her she'll get properly brown and not go red or peel if she uses her sun cream.

Don't tell the school. The group will all know who grassed them up and will take it out on her.

specialsubject Thu 09-Jun-16 17:43:55

no, she won''t necessarily get 'properly brown' if she uses her suncream. She can spend longer in the sun before burning.

tell the school to give the girls a serious talking to on stupid sheep-like behaviour, sun sense and generally not being boneheaded.

whois Thu 09-Jun-16 17:48:55

Kids copy weird shit.

Is sunbathing considered to be weire shit? I love a little lie down in the sunshine. Feels gooooood.

Egosumgism Fri 10-Jun-16 02:49:27

kondos

That makes sense

whois

it's weird insomuch as I suspect they're doing it to appear grown up insead of actually enjoying it.

Jessica78 Fri 10-Jun-16 03:07:45

I don't know where to start, but as someone who has skin cancer, I just think that young people's education about this should start early - if they were having a cigarette together at break that would obviously be wildly inappropriate - so really this shouldn't be seen as being any different? I would suggest that the school do some general education about sun sense, without being too specific towards individuals. If your daughter has pale skin, she should stay out of the sun at its hottest times.

Atenco Fri 10-Jun-16 03:47:10

I'd say they'll get quickly bored with that "game".

MadamDeathstare Fri 10-Jun-16 04:00:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

branofthemist Fri 10-Jun-16 05:48:04

I would speak to the school, I am not sure they can ban kids sitting in the sun. May be they can. But they can have a word about sun safety. And also the weird 'girls have to lay in the sun' statement.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now