Talk

Advanced search

Alton Tower/Thorpe park - worried?

(17 Posts)
FatPatricia Thu 09-Jun-16 09:40:00

Okay so, this is fairly embarrassing but DP has suggested we go to Alton Towers/Thorpe park or something along those lines in the next couple of weeks.. And now I can't stop having nightmares about not being able to fit on the rides (I am 18st and a size 20-22, I know I need to do something about it) but DP says IABU for being so worried.. So AIBU or will I really not be able to fit in the rides blush

Leigh1980 Thu 09-Jun-16 09:43:16

I think 20 stone is the limit although they do have a test seat which you can try first before the ride. This is at Thorpe Park

LucyInTheSkyWithDonuts Thu 09-Jun-16 09:51:19

I've only been to Alton Towers but I think, on the whole, you'll be fine. There are lots of different rides and most can accommodate all body shapes.

Personal question (sorry!) but where do you carry your weight? Are you tall? Most of the restraints press into your stomach and boobs so you may find some of them a bit uncomfortable if you are carry weight there. Also, it helps if you decrease bulk round your stomach so no really thick jumpers you can't take off or really chunky belts!

From memory, the rides which have the restricted seats have one you can try at the back of the queue, I'm pretty sure the tightest one is Galactica where you 'fly' round so maybe avoid that! Have fun!

loubielou2 Thu 09-Jun-16 09:57:15

Try not to worry. Go along, enjoy and if there are one or two that you struggle with, get yourself a coffee, sit back and watch your DP, and laugh your head off when they come off and throw up. And remember it's a day to relax, walk around and watch the rides and not necessarily do them all. In any case, I'm sure you'll be fine. Have fun..

araiba Thu 09-Jun-16 10:03:49

ive been to theme parks in usa that have spcial seats/ rows for larger customers. do alton towers/ thorpe park have the same?

IwillrunIwillfly Thu 09-Jun-16 11:05:13

I was the exact same when I went and was so worried but it was fine. I've never been to Thorpe Park just Alton Towers. There's some stuff on the website you can check out that tells you maximum chest sizes for rides, I don't think weight so much comes in to it. If I remember right nemesis and oblivion have a couple of seats with slightly bigger harnesses that you can go for (it says on the website). I found the smiler no problem, oblivion (normal seat) was a bit tight but not too bad, nemesis tight around my hips (it's a kind of bucket seat) but I fitted in a normal one. Hex it just a bench you sit on so no bother. Air was closed. Rita was fine but you sit next to someone in a cart so if you're a bit bigger I'd advise sitting next to a smaller person if that's an option! The ghost train thing where you shoot was fine.

The staff there will be used to people asking so if in doubt just ask and do it with a big smile as if you're so confident you don't care! Oh, and some of the rides have test seats outside the queue so you can try out the fit. If you're embarrassed to just try them out, pretend you're just sitting in them to get a picture smile

SistersOfPercy Thu 09-Jun-16 11:05:21

Certainly Oblivion at AT has a seat for larger people, it's seat 13 because I ended up sat in it once. I questioned why the belt system was different to DH's seat next to me and was told it was generally for larger guests and I was moved to another seat.

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Thu 09-Jun-16 14:14:11

Why do they have 'test seats'? I have never seen these before!

Beth2511 Thu 09-Jun-16 14:21:31

My dp is 20 stone, his height caused more of a problem than his weight.

Have fun, you will be fine!

Iloveunicorncuddles Thu 09-Jun-16 14:22:48

I was the same weight and dress size the last time I went to Alton Towers, absolutely no issues on any rides. Hope you have a great time.

IwillrunIwillfly Thu 09-Jun-16 14:22:51

Outside some of the more popular rides they have them so people can check the fit of the harness, check they are the right hight etc and it let's people see what the harness looks for before they get to the front of the queue

IThinkIMadeYouUpInsideMyHead Thu 09-Jun-16 14:25:21

I'm also a size 20-22 and had to get off a ride before it started last year as it wouldn't close over my boobs. It was one of those rides with the hydraulic overhead things. I was quite cross because I had asked one of the staff if I was likely to fit on the rides before I bought a pass (not in the UK, but a theme park where you paid ticket price then could choose whether to buy a wristband for the rides)

Fortunately, I am not easily embarrassed and I able to use rides with lap restraints, so the day wasn't a complete bust, but there's no point sugar-coating it and telling you it'll be fine when it may not be. Make a call to the theme park and ask them for measurements?

flirtygirl Thu 09-Jun-16 14:48:29

Thorpe park have test seats to try at most rides, and alton towers fit my 38jjs on most rudes, s20 top, i did feel hemmed in but the overhead part closed fine, this was a worry of mine last year but it was fine, go and im sure you will see bigger people also, so relax and have a good time.

Pineapplemilkshake Thu 09-Jun-16 14:56:27

Ooh I have this worry too! I'm 17 stone and size 22, and just about managed to fit into a couple of rides recently. The overhead ones are the worst, as another poster said above. At any of the USA theme parks I've had no problem though.

FatPatricia Thu 09-Jun-16 18:13:44

Thank you for your replies, I carry most of my weight in my thighs, butt and lower stomach so, boobs wouldn't be an issue. But thank you all for the suggestions and reassurances grin

Fourarmsv2 Thu 09-Jun-16 18:17:05

There's a group on FB for pass holders and I'm sure this has come up before.

If you ask on there you'll get ride and park specific advice smile

blimeyalldecentnamesaregone Thu 09-Jun-16 18:22:20

I was a 20-22 at 17st last time I went. It was a squeeze to be honest. Air (now Galactica) does have a couple of rows with bigger seats but even they were tight but ok.
I carry my weight on boobs but mainly my belly like you.

You can subtlety ask the attendants which rows the bigger seats are in and they have been fairly discreet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now