To ask what is a reasonable amount of clothes for a child!

(45 Posts)
scottishegg Wed 08-Jun-16 19:46:23

Self confessed clothes hoarder here. I have 4 kids aged from 3 months to 8 and their wardrobes are busting at the seams! Each have enough clothes for about a month with no washing as an example my oldest daughter has about 25 dresses, 15 tshirts, 10 pairs of shorts etc boys are much the same! I give a lot of clothes away as soon as they outgrow them but have too much in their current sizes! I find it difficult to get rid of clothes that I like and fit them but find it hard to find things and get organised!

What is a reasonable amount of clothes for a child do you think?

Mull Wed 08-Jun-16 19:50:03

Crumbs my two have A LOT less than that but I admit to being tight at the other end of the scale to you! Not much help, sorry!

stiffstink Wed 08-Jun-16 19:51:28

I'm of no use to you. I recently decluttered DS's baby clothes. He had 30+ pairs of jeans... in ages 0-12 months. Shameful!

<shouts to self in the past> Oi stiff! Babies don't need to wear jeans! They get carried everywhere!

scottishegg Wed 08-Jun-16 19:51:41

I need a lot less it's silly!!!

ApocalypseSlough Wed 08-Jun-16 19:53:14

Just stop buying and reuse and share. Take anything that's too small and can't be passed down to the charity shop. But don't buy any more clothes!! grin

NapQueen Wed 08-Jun-16 19:54:54

Dd is 4 and a half. She has (roughly) ten dresses (day ones nothing fancy), ten tshirts, four cardigans, four pairs of leggings, a couple of skirts and a couple of pairs of shorts. What feels like a zillion pairs of socks, five pairs of tights and a drawer full of knickers and vests. She has two light rain coats and two thick coats. Two gillets, three fleeces.

DS is 18mo and he has five pairs of trouser five pairs of shorts; about 15 tshirts. Two fleeces; one tick winter coat. Lots of socks.

Both of them have an inordinate amount of pyjamas (just like their mum!).

HackerFucker22 Wed 08-Jun-16 19:56:14

DD had a lot of clothes... and I mean a lot. I have a son and 9 nephews so I think finally having a girl has sent me a bit dolally.

I don't even like pink or typical girlie stuff.

I have a niece due soon so I can at least pass our stuff on.

HackerFucker22 Wed 08-Jun-16 19:56:42

* has a lot of clothes

Pinkheart5915 Wed 08-Jun-16 19:58:35

My ds is 9 months and he has a very full wardrobe.
DD is due in August and already has lots of clothes

I just can't resist a cute baby outfit

ohohohitsmagic Wed 08-Jun-16 20:00:15

Kondo them.

doesntmatterwhoyouare Wed 08-Jun-16 20:07:50

DS 2.10 and DD 17months each have approximately
6 jogging trousers / leggings / corduroys
1 jeans
5 tshirts
7 long sleeved t-shirts
5 vests
2 jumpers
1 proper shirt / dress
1 fleece
1 light jacket
1 pair sandals
1 pair trainers
1 pair boots/ wellies

Seems to be enough.

GrumpyMummy123 Wed 08-Jun-16 20:10:03

My DS 2 has way to many clothes IMO. I hardly ever buy anything new but a self confessed suckered for a bargain bundle on ebay, Facebook selling pages etc. Plus charity shops. He probably has 5 pairs of jeans, 8 track bottoms, 8 pairs shorts, 20? T-shirts, 20+ long sleeve tops/goodies of various types, 10 pairs PJ'S..... He never runs short and a fair bit he never wears but I'm rubbish at decluttering!

Swirlingasong Wed 08-Jun-16 20:12:24

I think it varies as sone children just seem to get muckier than others. My advice would be to get four cardboard boxes, one for each child. Start the week for each child with completely clean outfits. Over the course of that week, as you wash and fold clothes do not put them away but in the child's box. Do not take anything out of the box to re-use, or if you do leave a note in the box. At the end of the week you should have a reasonably accurate idea of what each child needs for a week (remember to account for term time/holidays).

Then, you need to decide how many week's worth you need. I'd go for about two weekly's couple of extra bits purely on the basis that I would like to feel I could take a two week holiday without doing washing. This never happens but I can dream.

DulliDulli Wed 08-Jun-16 20:12:47

DD and DS have a full set of uniform x5 so no washing needed during the week. They then have 3 outfits for the weekends. And a big drawer of underwear/socks. One winter coat and one rain jacket.

I realise this is much less than a normal wardrobe but I'm really not into clothes or clothes shopping.

Bubbinsmakesthree Wed 08-Jun-16 20:13:40

2yo DS has about 10 short sleeved Ts, 10 long sleeved, 10 bodysuits, 3 sweaters 5 pairs of shorts, 5 pairs jeans/trousers, 2 pairs dungarees. Loads of socks, a gilet, a waterproof jacket and a lightweight anorak. More than needed really but most is from NCT sales so averages £1-2 per item.

ProcrastinatorGeneral Wed 08-Jun-16 20:14:13

Each child has enough non-school clothes to fill one of those small wheeled suitcase things. School uniform and a waterproof coat, plus a couple of hoodies each. Sorted.

suitcaseofdreams Wed 08-Jun-16 20:14:33

Mine (twins) had A LOT of clothes until they started school - I was always finding stuff in the wardrobe that they'd never worn and had already grown out of...
But since they started school and are mostly in uniform, they have loads less. They have also got more fussy about what they wear and tend to just wear the same favourite things over and over so I've stopped buying as much

Hard to say what a 'reasonable' amount is though - enough that you don't have to be constantly washing and they have a range of clothes suitable for different occasions and situations? Think mine prob have (each although they sort of share) about 4 or 5 'bottoms' for each season - so trousers, jeans, cords etc for winter and shorts, lighter weight trousers etc for summer. Similar amount of tops - t-shirts for summer, long sleeved for winter. Couple of hoodies each. One winter and one summer coat. Loads of underwear as you can never have enough of that - socks are always disappearing somewhere. Oh and loads of pyjamas cos they both love pyjama days!

wobblywonderwoman Wed 08-Jun-16 20:19:33

I have two toddlers

we were given a lot of gifts and also passed down stuff so I have had to buy very little - only pjs and summer clothes really

but I didn't keep everything. I exchanged gifts for older sizes. Only kept some hand me downs

currently have ten tops each. Maybe 8 trousers joggers
Two smart outfits each (monsoon / shirts and beige trousers)

Pjs - a lot

Coats - good amount

One pair of shoes and wellies each

Lots of shorts and vests that I keep in a seperate area so chest of drawers are neat and tidy

wobblywonderwoman Wed 08-Jun-16 20:21:29

Sorry want to add- mine are always in a sandpit or getting grubby so they need two changes most days and then I need to keep a bag in the car etc. I think ten is sufficient to allow washing and drying time also

SpiceLinerandHoneyLove Wed 08-Jun-16 20:24:37

DS is 3.
Approximately:-
Drawer one - 7 long sleeve tops, 10 t shirts, four play jumpers, a couple of naice jumpers and a couple of best jumpers
Drawer two - 4 pairs jeans, 4 pairs chinos, 4 pairs smart shorts, 3 pairs holiday shorts, about twelve pairs socks and a couple of belts
Drawer three - six sets pyjamas, few items of clothing in next sizes up in waiting to get transferred to drawers
Wardrobe - 'naice' clothes hung up for when not at nursery - three pairs trousers, two pairs chinos, smarter shorts, suit, about six polo shirts, three short sleeve shirts and about six long sleeve shirts
Plus two macs, two winter coats and assorted hats and gloves

It sounds an awful lot when written down but he gets really grubby at nursery! I'm also a ruthless decluttered and regularly gumtree (buy and sell) bundles to clear out and make way for bigger stuff

Cakescakescakes Wed 08-Jun-16 20:26:46

My boys have 7-8 tops each (mix of tshirt and long sleeve), 4-5 bottoms (inc shorts and trousers/jeans), a light coat and a warm coat and a hoodie. Plus 2-3 pairs pjs and underwear. That's it. Having more is just so wasteful I think as they never get the wear out of them. I do washing every other day so they never run out of clothes.

Cakescakescakes Wed 08-Jun-16 20:27:23

I am incredulous at some of the wardrobes listed on here!!!!

OhTheRoses Wed 08-Jun-16 20:27:25

Mine had six or seven day's worth, tee shirts doubled up for two a day, probably ten pairs of socks/pants, et,. Shoes, doodles, wellies sandals. School uniform was 2/3 shorts or tunics and five shirts/blouses, 2/3 jumpers, half a dozen pairs of tights.

They grow faster than stuff wears out.

Cakescakescakes Wed 08-Jun-16 20:28:11

They have more than 2-3 pairs of pants etc. Just realised that read a bit confusing.

BrandNewAndImproved Wed 08-Jun-16 20:29:20

I used to buy my dc loads but I don't waste my money anymore.

They have 3/4 pairs of shorts
A couple pairs of jeans each
Two track suits each
About 15 tshirts each.

I buy clothes twice a year, a summer bundle and a winter one but do pick up the odd tshirts in Asda now and again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now