We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To use my credit card

(15 Posts)
PirateFairy45 Wed 08-Jun-16 17:52:30

Would I be unreasonable to use my credit card to get new brakes/disks and tyres for my car?

I can't afford it outright and my tyres are getting rather low on tread. As well as my brake disks have been squeaking for about 4 months now...

I can afford the repayments but obviously will be charged interest on it. I already have used £490 on my credit card and will be rounding it off to around 590/650 by the time I'm finished.

FOR
- I'm concerned about the safety of my car in the event of an emergency. (My daughter travels in the car daily with me).

AGAINST
- I'll pay a hell of a lot of interest back by the time I can pay it all off.

I think I already know what I should do but WIBU to use the credit card for that?

It's not like it's going on shoes or stuff like that...

Oysterbabe Wed 08-Jun-16 17:58:07

Do it but can you apply for a different card with a 0% deal?

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Wed 08-Jun-16 17:58:29

You need to fix the brakes and tyres or stop using the car how you find that money is up to you but it isn't an option to carry on as you are in my opinion.

Loubylouchirino Wed 08-Jun-16 17:58:33

We're currently in a bit of a tight financial situation as my fiancé was offered wither redundancy or a less well paid, but permanent job role. He took the job. However, my car broke the day after he agreed to that and we've just used the credit card to fix it (and that was a ridiculous amount as we had to get towed home too from 60 miles away as we had no breakdown cover) and while we were having it repaired, we had the same debate regarding tyres and stuff. In the end we did it and put it on the credit card, as tyres are a huge safety point and if you get caught with bald tyres, the fine would outweigh the cost of a couple of tyres.

LurkingHusband Wed 08-Jun-16 18:02:11

Squeaky brakes - although **ing annopying - aren't necessarily worn. You'd need a trusted mechanic to inspect and see how much lining is remaining and the thickness/condition of the disks. (FWIW brakes are much more likely to squeak in hot weather).

Tyres ? Remember they can be points on the licence.

lanbro Wed 08-Jun-16 18:14:15

Can you keep the cost down with part worn tyres?

lolalament Wed 08-Jun-16 18:17:49

If anything happens you'll feel awful. Even if it isn't your fault you'll still be wondering if you could've stopped earlier with better brakes. Even though it isn't a financial cost, this could be a huge emotional cost.

Your insurance company might start arguing, and you'll need to take time (or maybe even time off) to deal with it.

If the police catch you then you could be fined and get points on your licence.

So you really can't afford not to get this sorted. You could look at getting part worn tyres as these will be cheaper (they won't last as long though) or could go to a scrap yard/breakers. There's one near me that sells tyres for £10 but you'd then need to change it yourself.

CornishTea Wed 08-Jun-16 18:19:13

Transfer the balance to a 0% card.

RestlessTraveller Wed 08-Jun-16 18:20:09

Isn't this exactly what a credit card is for?

Theoretician Wed 08-Jun-16 18:27:28

I agree that squeaky brake disks do not necessarily have poor performance. Unless there's definitely something wrong with them, or the tyres definitely need to be replaced because below the tread is below the legal limit, or you've been told they are damaged/unsafe, then don't borrow to replace them.

Is the car getting you to and from work in a cheaper way than any alternative? Unless that's true, borrowing to keep it running doesn't sound like a sensible option.

Theoretician Wed 08-Jun-16 18:33:12

Not making non-essential car journeys for a while, if those are the only kind, would be a better option than borrowing.

You don't know what the future has in store for you, in general avoid spending money before you have it, your priorities may be different at the time it eventually comes in. Plus of course spending on credit means you get to buy less in total, because of paying interest.

Theoretician Wed 08-Jun-16 18:34:44

Isn't this exactly what a credit card is for?

Would the same be said about loan sharks if credit cards weren't an option?

Credit card borrowing exists so that banks can make money out of people who aren't good with it.

HermioneJeanGranger Wed 08-Jun-16 18:36:59

Can you get a 0% interest card and use that? How long will it take you to pay it off?

teacher54321 Wed 08-Jun-16 18:44:54

If your car isn't safe then of course you need to spend the money or stop using the car.

PirateFairy45 Wed 08-Jun-16 19:03:46

No my car is used daily. My father uses my car sometimes too as he has a sports car and after his illness he finds it hard to get in his car. But easy to get in mine.

I'll price up the parts tonight I think. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now