Talk

Advanced search

To kill all the mice?

(28 Posts)
WellErrr Wed 08-Jun-16 17:08:19

My house is clean. Slightly cluttered, but not durty.

Anyway. We have mice. I have been decluttering last few days and seem to have flushed them all out. They're bloody everywhere. Just walked into the kitchen and there was one IN THE TOASTER eating the crumbs.

I've tried humane traps. They don't work. If you actually catch one, the fuckers come back.

They're quite sweet but I can do without rodents pissing and shitting where we eat.

I've bought a load of killing traps. I don't want to but WHAT ELSE CAN I DO!?

SweetChickadee Wed 08-Jun-16 17:09:08

Get a cat?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 08-Jun-16 17:10:29

Urghhh put traps down! There nothing humane about humane traps, use snappy ones.

SapphireStrange Wed 08-Jun-16 17:10:51

Try a plug-in deterrent thing? www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=ultrasonic+mouse+repellent&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=98325969785&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2431126867687272252&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_1l58063co5_b

(sorry, can't make the link work properly).

I've used one and I think it's worked. Hard to tell as it's only been a few days.

WellErrr Wed 08-Jun-16 17:13:20

Get a cat?

Then a dog? grin

I've got a plug in. The pricey one.

It doesn't seem to work.

Oh and last night as I was dropping off to sleep there was one scurrying about on the duvet.

Oysterbabe Wed 08-Jun-16 17:14:26

Snappy traps and poison. Yanbu.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 08-Jun-16 17:18:31

Poison and traps. It'll take a week. Put ALL food away including fruit bowl and use anti bac spray. Block up any obvious holes with wire wool. Every night put sheets of newspaper on your counters so in the morning you can just pick them up and chuck them rather than scrub with bleach first thing. If they're on your duvet and on your toaster you have an infestation!!

Babymamamama Wed 08-Jun-16 17:19:51

If you use the snappy traps they love Nutella. Good luck.

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Wed 08-Jun-16 17:20:51

Watch Cinderella, sew little mouse hats and booties and embrace your new lifestyle.

Senac32 Wed 08-Jun-16 17:23:06

We live in the country and have had mice coming into the kitchen for years. We've tried all the "humane" methods, nothing works. So we resort to putting poison down, in the undersink cupboard.
You do have to be careful of their droppings, and urine, because it can carry disease. Store all food in the fridge or plastic containers.
I don't quite know what to do about the toaster though - like you, they come for the crumbs.
And they can do other damage - they nested in the piano one winter, and destroyed felts and wires, had to pay for repair.
We have a cat, but she's old and lazy.

TheDuchyOfGrandFenwick Wed 08-Jun-16 17:23:56

Poison them!!

insancerre Wed 08-Jun-16 17:24:14

Yanbu
We've had the feckers
We have poison, traps and several of the electronic devices
The only drawback to being mice free is that now the spiders are back cos I guess the mice ate them

Babymouse Wed 08-Jun-16 17:24:50

Also search for the places they are getting in and block them - otherwise they will keep coming back!

Zaurak Wed 08-Jun-16 17:56:52

Right. Declare murine war.
A mouse can crawl through any gap you can stick a biro through. Where are they getting in? Fill gaps with wire wool - it's about the only thing the little fuckers don't chew through.
All food sealed in metal or plastic boxes if not in the fridge
Traps - snappy ones. Don't mess around with humane ones - snappy traps are far quicker and kill immediately. Bait with peanut butter or chocolate spread.
Check behind the oven, fridge and freezer - warm areas where they often best.
Poison can be useful if laid correctly but be aware that it can hit cats who eat dying mice and must be laid away from areas children frequent.
The high frequency things can deter them but won't drive an existing infestation away.
Once they are gone wash all surfaces and cupboards thoroughly- the little fuckers are incontinent and leave trails of pee everywhere.

TortoiseSmile Wed 08-Jun-16 18:00:40

Cats are the supreme deterrent, or so I always believed. Just a few chases and the smell of a cat should work? I am surprised by Senac's experience. I would add another younger, feisty cat to the household!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 08-Jun-16 18:16:24

Some cats are mousers and some aren't. I've seen mice run through the living room and the cats haven't even blinked.

It's a bit extreme to get a cat when you can just bung some poison and traps down. Certainly a lot cheaper!

P1nkP0ppy Wed 08-Jun-16 18:22:21

Get the rodent officer/bods in.
For everyone you see there will be 8 others, they breed at a horrific rate. You need to clear up every bit of food and be diligent in cleaning up spills and crumbs.
I hate them, the smell is awful and you may well be shocked at the damage they do making nests.
Traps might be a temporary solution but there will be too many to get shot of speaking from bitter experience

SapphireStrange Thu 09-Jun-16 10:29:08

I've always found that just the presence of a cat keeps mice away. When I was a kid, in the period between our cat of the time dying and us getting a new one, they'd come marauding back, then disappear when we got another cat. And we always had useless lazy ones, not proper hunters!

trixymalixy Thu 09-Jun-16 10:34:44

Poison is the only thing that works imo. I've tried all sorts of traps. Never had any smell from it either.

BeBopTalulah Thu 09-Jun-16 10:37:03

People with cats and terriers do not have this problem...ever. Are you a pet person? lol

citychick Thu 09-Jun-16 10:40:11

We always have a mouse around. Can't get rid of the buggers.

I second snappy traps and Nutella. And store all food stuffs in air tight containers.

Grrrr. It is very annoying. Good luck.

WellErrr Thu 09-Jun-16 10:52:01

I have a terrier in here at night but only in the porch. No house dogs.

Can't do poison because of children and dogs (and slow lingering death/smell).

I think one's died in the wall of the bedroom as it bloody stinks.

DH was doing some toast late last night, heard frantic scuffling and cancelled the toaster. The mouse was IN the toaster. It jumped out and he managed to stand on it.

So that's one less.

I've got loads of snappy traps so they're going down tonight. Can't put them down in the day because of nosy children.

Thanks for all the advice - wish me luck!!

WellErrr Thu 09-Jun-16 10:52:53

And I'm going to do a mix of cement tonight and do every tiny hole around the house. We live on a farm which is why I think we get so many.

BeBopTalulah Thu 09-Jun-16 10:57:02

When I lived with my parents (farm) our terriers were not house dogs. We had a rat in the kitchen once and left the dogs in there overnight. Never saw or heard from it again....Eaten? Ran for it's life? Who knows!

Blueshoe2 Thu 09-Jun-16 11:06:49

You'll probably need traps as well if they're really bad but put down peppermint oil, a few drops on door mats and on cotton wool in the back of cupboards etc. apparently the smell burns their noses and either makes them leave or stops them coming in! We used to get them pretty regularly but haven't had them since we started using peppermint oil.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now