To think it's not normal to have a headache every day?

(22 Posts)
AliceScarlett Wed 08-Jun-16 17:00:23

Every. Bloody. Day. DH says it's because I have a stressful office based job... But I don't think it's normal.

I gave up nicotine and the headaches stopped for 2 months now they have just creeped back in. I'm well hydrated, I have good posture, my glasses are fine, I get up and walk around often... What do I do? Just seems utterly pointless to see the gp.

If I think about it too much it just drags me down. Is this my future? Pain every day?

Ugh, excuse the self pitying moaning.

Fretfulparent Wed 08-Jun-16 17:14:27

Chronic daily headache
good article here
www.londonheadachecentre.co.uk/CDH-article.pdf
See your GP?

Dinoinmypocket Wed 08-Jun-16 17:14:50

I have headaches everyday. To one degree or another. My diagnosis is Chronic Daily Migraine and it is managed with a combo of prescription meds, a carefully controlled diet, extra supplements (on neurologists advice) and strict a bedtime. It sucks. It controls my life and could get me down if I let it.

See your GP. Make an appointment ASAP. If it is cluster headaches/migraine etc and you need meds it can take months for them to work.

tibbawyrots Wed 08-Jun-16 17:52:26

See your GO

tibbawyrots Wed 08-Jun-16 17:52:48

GP not go 🙄

NeedACleverNN Wed 08-Jun-16 17:55:21

I get headaches a lot

I think it's normal for me. Everything sets it off

Tiredness, heat, stress.

VestalVirgin Wed 08-Jun-16 17:57:11

It's up to you, but in your place, I would at least try to find out if it can be cured. You deserve a painfree life.

AliceScarlett Wed 08-Jun-16 19:39:32

Valid points.

Maybe I'll give up caffeine for a week and see.

GoldenBlue Wed 08-Jun-16 19:45:57

I used to suffer daily headaches, alongside regular migraines. After seeing my GP it was identified that mine were caused by hormones. I'm on a version of the pill that reduces my hormone peaks and troughs and my headaches are down to only a couple of months, migraines from 3 times a month to 3 times a year. Do see your GP no one should have to suffer every day.

Queenbean Wed 08-Jun-16 19:48:52

I used to get daily headaches and migraines too.

Then I gave up sugar and felt hideous for a few days, but after that, amazing with migraines reduced to only having them during my period and no daily headaches. I went back on sugar and headaches returned. Im in the withdrawal stage now and it's horrible but I am determined!

thatorchidmoment Wed 08-Jun-16 19:51:29

A daily headache really could easily be migraines. There are various options for treating them: such as giving up whatever may be your specific triggers (cheese, chocolate, combined Pill); going on something like a beta-blocker to prevent them, having regular meals and bedtimes every day, and looking at your medications.

Do you take painkillers for all or most of your headaches? If so, that could paradoxically be the cause of the daily nature of them. It's called medication overuse headache, and it is a particular problem with painkillers containing codeine, although any analgesic can cause it.

Bottom line: it's definitely not a waste of time to see your GP about it. Lots of headaches that were called tension headaches or stress headaches in the past are now classed as migraine, as they actually respond to prevention and treatment in the same way that classic migraines do.

All the best OP. smile

goshnotme Wed 08-Jun-16 19:58:28

A year ago, I had a headache for three months. I finally went to the doctor a the point when I found myself literally stumbling around the supermarket in pain one evening after work. Doctor diagnosed tension/stress headaches and suggested I 'take some time for myself'. Problem is, I work, run a household, and have dc, and dh is more like another very large child than an extra helper. If I'm not at work, I'm looking after children. In the moments when the children are occupied, I'm cleaning the house/cooking the supper/doing the washing/hoovering/ironing/mowing the lawn/mending clothes/trimming hedges/making beds/paying bills online/making sure children have everything needed for school next day etc etc etc.

Doc gave me some exercises to do to try and relax my neck/shoulders, which does help. The headaches come back quite frequently. For example, one started on the Friday before half term and continued throughout half term and I still have it.

Pain killers make absolutely no difference so I don't bother.

Think I just have to live with it.

I also get other types of headaches - weather-related ones, dehyration ones, perfume-department-of-department-store ones, nasty little stabbing pain ones, and these can sometimes be dealt with with paracetamol if I catch them early enough. But these tension ones are relentless.

So sorry you're suffering too. Try some exercises if you can get your GP to show you.

PegsPigs Wed 08-Jun-16 20:05:11

My daily headaches were caused by a misaligned temporomandibular joint. I got a gum shield type brace to realign my jaw and over time the headaches went. They were hugely debilitating and I don't know how anyone copes for more than the year or so it took me to find the cause. Good luck finding yours.

www.nhs.uk/conditions/temporomandibular-joint-disorder/Pages/Introduction.aspx

BuntyBlue Wed 08-Jun-16 20:09:46

I had daily headaches and was taking paracetamol on a daily basis, I got stuck in a terrible cycle and read up on it and realised it was probably the paracetamol causing it in the end. I went cold turkey and all sorted after a week of no meds.

If you're not regularly taking anything, then definitely worth a trip to your GP.

Tartsamazeballs Wed 08-Jun-16 20:11:40

I used to have this- daily exercise helped a lot.

Kittyrobin Wed 08-Jun-16 20:22:10

I suffer with chronic migrane, recently discovered that (amongst all the other 100's of things) drinking certain types of squash can set off a migrane in me. I think it's the sweetner perhaps.

Anyway, try taking an antihistamine daily!

Herbal teas which are relaxing and stress relieving help me a bit.

Go to your doctor if it's really bad there's a lot they can do if your in a lot of pain. Beta blockers, anti depressants, epilepsy medication, if it carries on they might refer you for a scan. Botox treatment.

Wolfiefan Wed 08-Jun-16 20:23:17

See GP.
Do you take any painkillers?

BuunyChops Wed 08-Jun-16 20:39:10

See different optician ( I recently had to have my eyes tested for a work reason, they had a very different result to my usual; so I saw an independent one who agreed with the work results. Will saw my usual are a chain; and since then I found lots on web saying the same. .. .)

Caffeine: how much are you really drinking? Before you give up, record your intake for a week then stop, and be prepared for a headache for a few days.

Do you take painkillers for it? You could have rebound headache-AKA Medication-overuse headache. www.migrainetrust.org/about-migraine/types-of-migraine/other-headache-disorders/medication-overuse-headache/

Dehydration: most people overestimate how much they drink. I mainly drink water; at work I'd say I drink about 2 liters I assumed I drank the same at weekends till I actually took note and realised I was drinking about 500 mls a day at the weekend (the wine didn't count grin)

If none of that helps: Hormones, get them checked.

Good Luck!

Kittyrobin Wed 08-Jun-16 20:39:20

Also, the only pain relief that actually stops a severe headache in me is triptans. I think you can only get them on prescription.

BlueberrySky Wed 08-Jun-16 21:07:03

DH gets headaches almost every day.

He has found that a monthly visit to a osteopath helps with stress and keeps his neck and shoulders relaxed.

Also he started taking probiotics and they helped too, and his skin was a lot better.

He still gets them but not at the level or intensity he used to.

WordsAreWind Wed 08-Jun-16 21:12:10

Are you in front of a computer monitor for long periods?

ThePinkOcelot Wed 08-Jun-16 21:32:25

Sorry you are suffering. My DH suffers with daily headaches and is very debilitated by them. He has what are called post traumatic headaches following a bad accident. He has tried everything and his neurologist says there's nothing else left. Our lives are certainly affected by his headaches so I do sympathise with you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now