Talk

Advanced search

Not buying anything at the makeup counter

(22 Posts)
coralpig Wed 08-Jun-16 16:36:14

I didn't go with the intention of getting a free makeover at all- I was just browsing some of their products and got talking to the lady behind the counter who talked me into trying out some different shades. she ended up making up most of my face- primer, foundation, blush, gloss, concealer- the works. When I asked about prices she broke them down and it really was far more than I can afford. I had only ever been browsing. The lady wrote down the name of the products but looked very annoyed and disappointed when I didn't buy.

I feel guilty. AIBU?

justanothergrumble Wed 08-Jun-16 16:38:28

Usually If I know I'm going to buy anything I just say no thank you I'm just looking to avoid this.

justanothergrumble Wed 08-Jun-16 16:38:43

*not going

Iamnotloobrushphobic Wed 08-Jun-16 16:39:19

No yanbu. Those make up women prey on people who are just browsing and make them up with the hope that they will be guilt tripped into buying stuff they don't want / can't really afford. Good for you for not giving in to the pressure.

KinkyAfro Wed 08-Jun-16 16:39:57

Don't feel guilty, if you can't afford it then you cant afford. I've also done the same thing, knew I couldn't afford the make up but had a free 'no obligation' makeover for a big night out grin

NavyAndWhite Wed 08-Jun-16 16:40:33

I would have said I'm not buying today and if she insisted on a make over at least I would have already told her.

CrushedNinjas Wed 08-Jun-16 16:40:45

She's just disappointed that she didn't earn any commission, but that's the nature of the job.

I think she'd be more annoyed if you got her to do a full face for free before going off to get married or to a party and didn't buy anything, but again, there's not much they can do.

Do you think she did a good job or did you want to immediately rub it off?

coralpig Wed 08-Jun-16 16:41:39

She's done a lovely job- I really like look as it's nice and natural but I can't afford it all.

SaucyJack Wed 08-Jun-16 16:44:05

Well, unless you've never bought make-up before then you'd have had a rough idea that she was plastering 150-odd quid of slap on your face- so if you'd just popped in for a Rimmel mascara then you must've know you were wasting time that she could've spent with a paying customer. Is she on commission?

So YANBU to feel slightly bad.

But don't lose any sleep over it. You didn't drown her new puppy. It's an occupational hazard for her.

mizuzu Wed 08-Jun-16 16:53:58

no yanbu, I understand people need sales but you cannot be pissed off if someone rejects those sales especially if they didnt ask you in the first place to bother them.
I had this issue at sofa world, the girl literally wouldnt leave me alone, I just walked out in the end. It made me not want to even buy from there.

BooAvenue Wed 08-Jun-16 16:58:59

Which counter was it and how long did it take her to do it?

LaConnerie Wed 08-Jun-16 17:15:47

I would have just lied my way out of it with something like "Ooh that's lovely thank you, I will be back next week when I've been paid".

And then I would have avoided that shop for the rest of my life...

passingthrough1 Wed 08-Jun-16 17:19:27

I always buy at least one thing out of awkwardness when that happens so well done you for not!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 08-Jun-16 17:22:32

Yanbu, that's how it works. They work on the fact you might go back and buy at a later date.

Toxicity Wed 08-Jun-16 17:22:36

Honestly don't worry about it, she did your face up nice and who knows, you might buy one or two of the items in the future! As others said, the assistants do try and guilt trip you into buying so it's good you stuck to your guns!

ExasperatedAlmostAlways Wed 08-Jun-16 17:26:48

iv worked in cosmetics for six years. I never was pissed off when someone didn't purchase. At the end of the day I'd of rather be introducing someone to the products even if they don't buy than standing bored.

Also we know moat people can't afford to spend 150 on make up. But some do come back for things one at a time that they liked or give family and friends ideas of what they liked at Xmas or birthday etc or even recommend the product to a friend who's needing something.

ExasperatedAlmostAlways Wed 08-Jun-16 17:27:52

We also don't try and guilt trip anyone into anything. Well, I certainly never have, that's ridiculous.

NatashaRomanov Wed 08-Jun-16 17:30:03

Don't fret over it. They must know that not everyone will buy.
Next time, just tell them that you want to see how the products wear (or how they look outside in natural light!) before committing to purchasing them.

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Wed 08-Jun-16 17:30:35

She sounds like she was pushy.

Might be some benefit for someone to have said no to her.

Laiste Wed 08-Jun-16 17:44:21

I worked on cosmetics for years (inc. Dior and Clinique) and would often end up doing full makeup's on ladies who'd approached the counter never intending to buy. It passed the time pleasantly for me, was enjoyable for them, looked good for other customers to see going on and, if they liked me, the brand, and the look of the make up i would often see them back to buy at a later date. If not, no matter, still all good.

Yes, i'd list the products i'd used as well, as it's impossible to remember all the fancy names for a whole face make up. I wasn't on commission. I was paid a salary.

The only thing this assistant did wrong was to 'look disappointed'. Maybe because you just felt a bit guilty you imagined this to be more than it was?

TeaAddict235 Wed 08-Jun-16 20:32:33

I might be a bit offline with this, but I didn't think that people still really bought things from the cosmetics counters anymore. I thought that people just Instagrammed and you tubed make up and then went and bought what they'd seen. You were really doing her a favour and giving her a chance to practise her skills, IMO. Make up counters have their days numbered.

Trills Wed 08-Jun-16 20:33:58

The last time I did this at Estee Lauder the lady did not seem at all disappointed that I didn't buy straight away, she was hapy for me to go away and see how well it lasted and how it looked in daylight, etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now