Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think OH should take something for a cough?

(11 Posts)
Dudess Wed 08-Jun-16 06:58:03

I live with one of those people who refuses to take anything when he's ill. I, take lots regularly when I'm ill (cough/cold etc). The whole family has a cough at the moment (not me, as yet) and this morning I was woken up by ridiculously loud coughing from DH, 90 mins before alarm....and I've been looking forward to only getting up at 7am all week, instead of 6!

A Dr one time told him that medicines are useless so we all suffer with his v v v loud cough.

But when I'm coughing, or DD, the cough meds/Vicks/Hot Water & Lemon help, and quieten, us.

Ah, at least the washing's on.

#grumpgrumpgrump

Lilaclily Wed 08-Jun-16 07:00:22

There isn't anything he can take though!

LadyStarkOfWinterfell Wed 08-Jun-16 07:01:00

But cough medicines are useless!

Howmuchisthatdoggyinthewindow Wed 08-Jun-16 07:01:53

Nothing helps a cough.

Cough mixture is useless and just sugar.
Most coughs are viral and don't need antibiotics.

Cut him some slack.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Wed 08-Jun-16 07:03:24

Are you really saying he doesn't give a toss about anyone else and won't even try to soothe it?

sarararararah Wed 08-Jun-16 07:04:42

Yup - he's right I'm afraid! Cough mixtures do nothing to sort the cause. They sometimes suppress the cough but that can make things worse as it can lead to infection. You just have to sit it out I'm afraid!

Dudess Wed 08-Jun-16 07:05:05

Hehe, I suspect it's the sugar he's not keen on, whereas I quite like the blackcurrant/honey tastes.

Maybe they offer a placebo effect that make me and DD quiet/feel better when we're coughing. grin

sixinabed Wed 08-Jun-16 07:07:20

I have never found an effective cough remedy that would stop me coughing, especially in the morning. And I have tried a lot. The doctor was right.

SybilEngineer Wed 08-Jun-16 07:09:19

All these 'medicines' do is line the pockets of the drug companies. You probably think your cough isn't loud but I bet DH disagrees.

Dudess Wed 08-Jun-16 07:09:52

Supress supress supress!

All week he and DD have been in bed until. 7.30, while I have to get up at 6.00 for work. Today, I could have stayed in bed as long, but the coughing woke me up at 5.45 and DD at 6.00.

#notgoodinthemorning grin

Passthecake30 Wed 08-Jun-16 07:10:17

I'm a cougher....they can go on for months and nothing helps but time. YABU, feeling lousy and having someone have a go at you isn't fun. Been there...!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now