Talk

Advanced search

What happens to people from EU countries iving in the UK if we Brexit?

(21 Posts)
awfullyproper Tue 07-Jun-16 23:01:54

Just that really.

pambeesley Tue 07-Jun-16 23:06:56

No one will be kicked out. Anyone who is here would be able to stay

Salene Tue 07-Jun-16 23:10:47

Nothing they will go about their business as normal

wasonthelist Tue 07-Jun-16 23:26:02

Nothing.

toadworthy Tue 07-Jun-16 23:29:42

They can stay and so can British expats living in the EU.

AuntJane Tue 07-Jun-16 23:32:33

I still think it's odd that British ex-pats living in the EU don't get to vote in the referendum.

StrangeLookingParasite Tue 07-Jun-16 23:54:35

They can stay and so can British expats living in the EU.

How do we know this? My and many of my friends' status is dependant upon a spouse with British citizenship. Surely it's going to be up to the government of each country to decide what they're going to do?
I know if they decide we have to leave we are totally fucked.

beetroot2 Wed 08-Jun-16 00:00:07

Nothing because anything that has happened will stay just that.

wasonthelist Wed 08-Jun-16 00:01:53

I still think it's odd that British ex-pats living in the EU don't get to vote in the referendum.

Well that would be odd if it were true, but it isn't. Only those who've been away more than 15 years are excluded, and that seems fair - after that amount of time, you've pretty obviously made a new home elsewhere and you ought to be voting in their elections, not ours.

eternalopt Wed 08-Jun-16 00:04:34

Brexit camp say everyone can stay where they are as it only changed going forward. Reality says that no one knows, as the Brexit camp are not in charge of this country or any other.

wasonthelist Wed 08-Jun-16 00:04:41

It would be a very odd tit-for tat war if (say) France started kicking the Brits out, so it wouldn't make any sense. There's a huge number of expat Frech people living and working in London alone.

wasonthelist Wed 08-Jun-16 00:07:18

Brexit camp say

And the remainers say we'd have no choice but to leave all of the free movement rules in place in order to trade with the EU even if we leave - you can't have it both ways.

beetroot2 Wed 08-Jun-16 00:09:14

I see it as meaning we are a stand alone country again as are so many have stayed. The EU hasn't worked. You only have to look at the currency to know this.

Inaminutenow Wed 08-Jun-16 00:13:57

What about for example access to healthcare in the UK for non-British citizens after Brexit? Do you think there would be changes or fees payable?

beetroot2 Wed 08-Jun-16 00:18:06

who knows Inamin. but all i know that being in the EU for most hasn't made it better quite a few have collapsed under this. i also think that if we leave then it will help lots of others leave too.

littlemonkey5 Wed 08-Jun-16 00:27:45

I know of a few people who have retired to France for example who come back to the UK to take advantage of the NHS that they've paid into (fair enough). I guess they will be able to vote??

Goodness knows what will happen post vote. I do know that we can't worry about something we can't be sure of. We just have to go with our instincts.

My question to everyone I meet is - if we were offered the Euro, would you let that happen? I wouldn't put it past them to force us if we remain......

It's all a big fat mess and I live with 5 children and DH who think I'm their pick-up slave We need someone to organise this country's health system for non-nationals, housing for everyone and education. As long as we have total control of that and a strong leader, it is do-able.

I hate the blackmailing and scaremongering that has been going on. It hasn't happened yet, how do they know??????

AuntJane Wed 08-Jun-16 05:45:54

wasonthelist
My brother has lived in Germany long enough not to have a vote, but has chosen to retain his British citizenship. He has returned to England at least twice a year, and has maintained an English bank account, etc.

Now, because of the risk of what may happen if Britain leaves the EU - which he has no say in - he has finally applied for German citizenship.

jonsnowssocks Wed 08-Jun-16 06:10:52

I don't think we can say definitively what will happen to anyone living in a different EU country to their home country. This is one of the many reasons why this referendum is a massive waste of everyone's time.

hefzi Wed 08-Jun-16 06:23:52

Under the Vienna Convention, people (British or EU) could basically stay where they are: something that's happened under a treaty essentially can't be reversed if a treaty is dissolved (or left). So you can't remove/deport etc someone who has moved somewhere under the EU's free movement principle if that principle is later rescinded.

As for expats not having the vote: I lived overseas much longer than 15 years and always voted in the UK even so - my father was my proxy. You simply have to maintain an address (even if you're not living there) through being on the electoral roll there. People have chosen - over the years - not to, because presumably, the right to vote wasn't that important to them: their choice, absolutely, but not something enshrined in law, so people oughtn't to complain now when their is a vote that interests them but, by their own actions, they are not eligible to vote.

Janefromdowntheroad Wed 08-Jun-16 06:33:56

Nothing

Although anecdotally quite a few i've spoken to have said they would leave of their own accord. Had a long chat with the cab driver about it. He's been here 4 years, single man, works his arse off and said he would leave the day after if we vote leave.

PuppyMonkeyBaby Wed 08-Jun-16 06:38:35

I left the UK for good in 2004. I have few ties to the UK and no assets but I am still eligible to register and vote (but I'm not going to).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now