To think daisies just aren't the same anymore

(22 Posts)
EatShitDerek Tue 07-Jun-16 19:46:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

VestalVirgin Tue 07-Jun-16 19:50:40

Where did you pluck the daisies? Perhaps they're just from somewhere with different growing conditions to what you remember.

Have to admit I didn't try to make a daisy chain recently.

EatShitDerek Tue 07-Jun-16 19:51:35

Hensintheskirting Tue 07-Jun-16 19:53:36

And you've got thicker, grown ups nails rather than sharp, fine little girl nails... (I'm presuming you're no longer a little girl Eatshit)

MothertotheLordsofmisrule Tue 07-Jun-16 19:55:31

Maybe your nails are thicker and therefore the holes are bigger, resulting in more splitting.
In my experience children's fingernails are like bloody razor blades (as my nasal passages will attest to) so can make a thinner split in stem.

Or it's cutbacks in the Dept of Mother Nature.wink

TheWeeBabySeamus1 Tue 07-Jun-16 19:56:31

I tried in the park today ( purely for my sons benefit of course ) and failed miserably.

I think Hens theory must be right - either that or the daisies are conspiring to make a fool of me in front of my son.

DesolateWaist Tue 07-Jun-16 19:58:58

I think the nearby fags and booze don't help.......

dizzyfucker Tue 07-Jun-16 20:00:19

eatshit it could be the daisies......or it could be that you have considerably larger finger nails now! Instead of making a perfect little hole for the next stem, you just lacerate the bugger in half smile.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Tue 07-Jun-16 20:00:19

I blame David Cameron.

The alcohol I've spotted in the picture may not have helped your fine motor skills. wink and the beauty of the daisies is marred by 20 Sterling.

BankWadger Tue 07-Jun-16 20:01:57

I can still make a daisy chain and I have a decade on Derek. My nails aren't fine either.

Must be my super power (along with threading needles) hmm

GettingScaredNow Tue 07-Jun-16 20:02:22

Me and Dd spent aaaggggeeeessss picking. Daisies and then set about making a chain but we only managed to connect 3 before giving up Dd got bored and I felt exactly the same as you!!
Used to make whole ropes of them at school that was many moons ago

Sucksfake1 Tue 07-Jun-16 20:06:01

Eatshit are you me?

Booze, menthol fags (narrows eyes)

Incidentally I can't make them my bastard garden is full of dandelions they seem to be everywhere this year.

EatShitDerek Tue 07-Jun-16 20:07:27

Notfastjustfurious Tue 07-Jun-16 20:08:00

I've tried this recently too, trying to show my dds the wonder of daisy jewellery. It didn't work out and they gave me the hmm look and toddled off. The big finger nail theory makes sense, they all just sliced right through.

TalcAndTurnips Tue 07-Jun-16 20:08:17

I used to enjoy making a Gladiators style daisy pugil-stick:

1) Pick two daisies

2) Remove head from one and gouge a small hole on underside of head

3) Insert end of stalk of other daisy into hole

4) Enjoy hours of fun duelling with snotty brother. Competitor - READY

Passmethecrisps Tue 07-Jun-16 20:10:30

The only issue I have with talc's method is that your chain is only ever as long as a daisy stalk.

I found my shellac got in the way recently

Sucksfake1 Tue 07-Jun-16 20:13:54

Il try if I ever find any.

My pointy acrylic chavvy nails may be an advantage mind grin

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Tue 07-Jun-16 20:14:13

I would report you for product placement, but I'll let you off because I'm liking your daisy chain making hippy vibe. smile

My garden is also invested with a super strain of dandelions that pop up as soon as I mow the lawn. I'm sure they weren't there last year.

Sucksfake1 Tue 07-Jun-16 20:15:12

Ilost northeast? Or is it countrywide ?!

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Tue 07-Jun-16 20:18:16

South East, so it's a widespread dandelion invasion!, not helped by my nieces' love of blowing dandelion clocks all over the lawn, bless them.

powershowerforanhour Tue 07-Jun-16 20:18:18

The best were in my granny's orchard. They grew tall trying to get more light as shaded by the fruit trees and the grass was never cut close there, and the stems were thicker and fleshier than the ones growing on the lawn in direct sunlight. Ah happy days.

TalcAndTurnips Tue 07-Jun-16 20:19:52

I would agree Passmethecrisps - under EU regulations the daisy pugil-stick cannot be classed as a chain; merely a stand-alone wild flower arrangement.

I have noticed that, on the verges of local motorways, there exists a variety of monster daisy - evolved no doubt on a diet of traffic fumes and lorry driver wee.

The heads are about the size of a fried egg - imagine a daisy chain made out of those feckers shock Fit for a shire horse or a smallish elephant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now