Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To not understand why baby's bedrooms are called nurseries

(19 Posts)
Abbinob Tue 07-Jun-16 18:33:11

I dont get it and it drives me nuts.
I know aibu to care what people want to call a room in their house but it seems to weird to me.
Maybe because I live in a flat? Having a 'nursery' in a flat would seem silly but in a massive house maybe not so much?
Too much time.on my hands today clearly

Diamogs Tue 07-Jun-16 18:34:03

I'd guess it is because that is where they would have been 'nursed'?

PartiallyStars Tue 07-Jun-16 18:37:25

From reading old books I believe the nursery was where the nursemaid looked after the children, and where they slept. When they were older it transformed into "the school room" and that got their own bedroom. I only gather this from Enid Blyton, E Nesbit etc!

mamapants Tue 07-Jun-16 18:38:45

This irritates me too, its their bedroom. Why it needs a special name I have no idea, and at what age does it magically turn into a bedroom I wonder.

museumum Tue 07-Jun-16 18:41:21

Is a posh people thing. From when people had nannies and tutors the nursery was like a suite of rooms where the children slept, played, ate and were taught. The child related staff would have rooms there too.

Applying it to a bedroom in a flat is quite amusing.
Like having a "drawing room" in a two bed flat.

mamapants Tue 07-Jun-16 18:43:52

I get what the word comes from I just don't get why normal people with normal houses use it.

ineedamoreadultieradult Tue 07-Jun-16 18:45:44

I inwardly cringe when people call the babies room a nursery. Unless they live in a mansion and have a live in Nanny it doesn't really fit.

MatildaTheCat Tue 07-Jun-16 18:48:31

It's what people who are having a family often refer to when thinking of a use for the tiniest bedroom. As in, 'Oh, perfect for a nursery!' It will fit a cot, chest of drawers and a chair.

I had one and I'm not posh. It was a three bed house.

Doik Tue 07-Jun-16 18:48:50

Reception room makes me feel the same. I know it's standard for all house sales but it makes me picture the lady of the house waiting to receive her guests.

TheWernethWife Tue 07-Jun-16 18:53:33

Doik up here in the working class north its called the front room - hate it being called the lounge. I'll just lounge about in the lounge lol

Abbinob Tue 07-Jun-16 18:55:31

Thewernetwife it's front room to me too, dp calls it the lounge though and it drives me mad. We're south east.

Doik Tue 07-Jun-16 18:55:56

My house up north was just sold and advertised with one reception room! smile I don't know anyone who calls it that in real life either. It's a lounge to me too.

Nanny0gg Tue 07-Jun-16 20:20:59

I have a living room. It's not a front room because it's at the back.

And saying 'nursery' saves saying baby's bedroom.

Don't see the problem.

MustStopAndThinkBeforePosting Tue 07-Jun-16 20:31:21

In a flat, "nursery" means "we can't call this a bedroom as it is too small to fit a standard single bed, but you can squeeze a cot in.

Kenduskeag Tue 07-Jun-16 20:44:52

Do you get irrationally angry about a lot of the quirks of the English language, or just this one?

UterusUterusGhali Tue 07-Jun-16 20:50:26

I used to feel the same about the use of the word "study" for a home office.

Unless it's got an armillary globe and a bankers lamp in it, it ain't a study!

I've kinda got over it now though. grin

iwouldgoouttonight Tue 07-Jun-16 20:55:56

'Nursery' annoys me too. And I end up getting confused about whether people are talking about a room in their house or nursery as in childcare.

My DP has started calling the garage a 'workshop'. I think he thinks it makes it sound as though he goes in there to craft things out of wood, when in reality it's just a place to keep junk and is too small to fit an actual car in.

cozietoesie Tue 07-Jun-16 21:05:15

'Workshop' is 'speak' for MINEALLMINE, iwould. grin

Eminybob Tue 07-Jun-16 21:11:15

Haha I used to refer to DS's bedroom as the nursery when we were decorating it and when he was tiny. Ffs it's the box room in a 1950's ex council house!

I had PFB syndrome. I'm over it now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now