Talk

Advanced search

Random woman paid for customers coffee

(235 Posts)
TheoriginalLEM Tue 07-Jun-16 17:27:47

A gentleman came into the cafe and ordered a latte. He was a bit doddery and scruffy and was counting his money from money bags (checking he had enough i think). another customer paid for his coffee when she settled her bill for no reason.

AIBU to think this was patronising and embarrassing for the man? Maybe he just doesnt carry much cash but is perfectly able to pay for his own coffee hmm

Skittlesss Tue 07-Jun-16 17:28:34

I think it's nice

ThatStewie Tue 07-Jun-16 17:28:34

YABU. It was a kind gesture.

MidnightVelvetthe5th Tue 07-Jun-16 17:29:48

Was he embarrassed? It would just seem like a random act of kindness to me, I'd be delighted if someone paid for my coffee smile

What was his reaction?

A1Sharon Tue 07-Jun-16 17:30:00

Jeez. Someone tries to do something nice and they get hmm.
You're right OP, she sounds like a right bitch.
Should we all start carrying 'lighthearted' signs around in real life too,I wonder?

AtrociousCircumstance Tue 07-Jun-16 17:30:05

Wow. No good deed unpunished.

Sparklingbrook Tue 07-Jun-16 17:30:07

Sounds like a nice thing to do if he was checking if he had enough money and was 'doddery' and 'scruffy'.

starry0ne Tue 07-Jun-16 17:30:37

God yes what a vile woman..

No I think it was nice...My friend got one of those random acts of kindness the other week..It has really lifted her spirits.

usual Tue 07-Jun-16 17:31:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

usual Tue 07-Jun-16 17:31:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SeemsLegit Tue 07-Jun-16 17:32:29

Surely paying for someone else's coffee regardless of whether they need it or not is a nice thing to do? I despair of MN sometimes I really do

SuckingEggs Tue 07-Jun-16 17:33:14

Fucking dreadful behaviour. Should have laughed in his face instead.
hmm

LineyReborn Tue 07-Jun-16 17:33:46

She might have been his secret estranged niece.

oldlaundbooth Tue 07-Jun-16 17:34:41

Yes, I'm always super irritated when some random treats me to a coffee...

TendonQueen Tue 07-Jun-16 17:34:52

It's only patronising if anyone expects more than a simple 'thank you'. He could of course have been minted. If she wants to take that chance it's up to her. It's like the message on here about don't give more of yourself than you can afford.

Dieu Tue 07-Jun-16 17:35:23

Was it that she she was getting impatient that he was taking so long, so she paid? In that case, SWBU. But if she was just being nice, SWNBU.

oldlaundbooth Tue 07-Jun-16 17:35:34

Whats that thing called these days where you pay for a coffee in advance for someone?

She's like that but 1950's style grin

Roobix04 Tue 07-Jun-16 17:35:35

It's called paying it forward. Someone did this in a McDonald's drive thru (paid for the car behind) and it's sparked a three hour chain of good will as each car did the same for the one behind.

ShatnersBassoon Tue 07-Jun-16 17:36:01

She was helping someone out and getting the queue moving on a bit faster. What a twat.

Stillunexpected Tue 07-Jun-16 17:36:20

I carry plenty of cash and hopefully look reasonably presentable. If someone took it upon themselves to randomly buy me a coffee, I would hug them! What a nice thing for her to do.

KoalaDownUnder Tue 07-Jun-16 17:36:37

I'm not even doddery or scruffy and carry my money in a leather wallet, but I'd be thrilled if someone paid for my coffee. fat chance

ChicRock Tue 07-Jun-16 17:37:42

Yeah - she should have huffed and puffed at him holding up the queue and said hurry up you doddery scruffy fool.

Or maybe she just was in a hurry and/or thought it would be a nice thing to do.

Bloody hell no good deed goes unpunished eh?!

OurBlanche Tue 07-Jun-16 17:38:10

Having paid for a number of coffees when the person in front of me seemed to be having problems finding cash or a working card, I shall take your opinion on board and cease doing so with immediate effect.

Thank you for pointing out that my small act of kindness is an obnoxious display of snobbery, a gauche gesture of contempt.

trafalgargal Tue 07-Jun-16 17:39:09

There's quite a fashion for this at the moment.

I think your reaction is a bit weird and paranoid. Not everyone needs an agenda to do something nice for their fellow human being.

I stayed in an Airbnb last week after I left I saw the host buying coffee. I paid for their coffee......Why not

bigsnugglebunny Tue 07-Jun-16 17:39:19

Bit of jealousy there OP? No-one buying you a coffee? Poor bairn.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now