Talk

Advanced search

Should I take my daughter to see gp?

(33 Posts)
coco1810 Mon 06-Jun-16 18:48:31

I have posted this on here purely because I was not sure where else to post for advice. I apologise if TMI but DD is DC2 and only daughter.

DD is 7.5 when we got ready for bed tonight I noticed that she has a yellowish crusty discharge in her pants (sorry - tmi!). She says she's been wiping properly and she acted out for me so it's not that. She's not sore or itchy, and she has no pain while weeing.

Before anyone points abuse, this is definitely not occurring. DD has known about no pants rule since she was about three plus she tells us quite openly if she has been picked on etc. So it's certainly not that.

Any ideas? Surely this can not be the onset of puberty already? TIA!

bluecarpet Mon 06-Jun-16 18:51:53

Some canes ran over the counter might sort it out and won't do any harm. You might have to tell the pharmacist it's for you.

AngieBolen Mon 06-Jun-16 18:55:34

Yeah, becaue lying to a pharmacist about who medication is actually for is always a good idea.

On the other hand the pharmacist my advise you to see your GP.

If she's not itchy or sore I'd give it a day or two before going to GP, but I'd definitely prefer to see a GP than to lie to a pharmacist.

IcingandSlicing Mon 06-Jun-16 19:00:22

Why are you hesitating to see the GP? If any of my kids has unexplained symptoms that are worrying memI'll go straight to the gp (ok, I might me a bit of a hypochondriac).

Wellthen Mon 06-Jun-16 19:05:09

If it doesn't smell and isn't a weird colour (discharge is often yellow once it dries) then to me it seems fairly clear that it would be normal vaginal discharge. 7.5 is young but not that young. I think I started getting discharge around 10 and didn't get periods till 13 so she could be a good few years away from 'proper' puberty.

I don't understand PPs suggestion that it needs 'clearing up' - discharge isn't pus! Its just her body keeping clean.

PotteringAlong Mon 06-Jun-16 19:06:08

It's just discharge. Why on earth is your first thought abuse?!

YounicorneNumbers Mon 06-Jun-16 19:06:59

Terrible advice to get canestan and lie about it! shock

Just get a GP appointment OP. What's the angst?

NotYoda Mon 06-Jun-16 19:08:24

i don't think it was her first thought. Just a thought.

I's probably go to the GP, even though it may well be normal discharge

Glassofwineneeded Mon 06-Jun-16 19:12:06

Does she have any other signs of puberty? Changes in body shape? Buds developing?
A GP would be able to put your mind at ease and it's probably a good idea to take her although I'm sure it's nothing just the beginnings of your little girl growing up!

coco1810 Mon 06-Jun-16 19:12:41

I'm not hesitating to take dd to GP icingandslicing. Firstly our GP is closed now and rather than drag her up walk in when she seems otherwise fine in herself and sit around for hours on a school night. I thought I would ask on here if anyone had any advice or experience of such things.

Dripanddrop Mon 06-Jun-16 19:16:20

When I was around that age I started getting normal vaginal discharge (didn't start my period till 11). My dad took me to the GP and wanted to show him my pants with the discharge on, he put them in a clear sandwich bag and brought them to the appointment for the GP to peer at. I have never been more embarrassed in my life, this is a very strong memory from my childhood so I just wanted to share to avoid similar for your daughter! But yes, in my case it was completely normal.

January87 Mon 06-Jun-16 19:16:24

Wait until morning, bring her to pharmacist. Explain symptoms. Pharmacist will probably bung some canestan at you, if that doesn't clear it, then bring to the GP.

CarpeJugulum Mon 06-Jun-16 19:17:32

I had discharge like this from about age 8 or 9. It wasn't terribly nice but I was clean and not abused. The only thing that helped was washing myself in the morning and night with a flannel in the shower or at the basin. (No soap or anything, but the flannel just seemed to clean me more thoroughly).

I would still take her to the GP to rule anything nasty out (my DM did this too), but it could just be normal - FWIW I didn't start my periods until I was 11-12.

AngieBolen Mon 06-Jun-16 19:18:00

This isn't something you'd need to see the GP about immediately....I would book an apt. if she still has discard over the next couple of days. It will probably be a few days before you get to see a GP unless it's an emergency, and if you are still worried you have the apt, if not, cancel it.

That's my advice. No need to go to the walk in clinic! And definitely don't lie to the pharmacist.

coco1810 Mon 06-Jun-16 19:19:37

potteringalong I quite clearly said it isn't abuse and the reason why I said that is because I have posted on mn long enough to know that not everyone engages their brain before making assumptions.

I have no angst people, I just wanted a bit of advice that's all! goes to sit quietly in the corner while rocking at the insanity of it all!

Buggers Mon 06-Jun-16 19:19:55

I think it's just a sign that pubety is on its way, although if she has anymore problems then I would take her to the gp

SqueegyBeckinheim Mon 06-Jun-16 19:20:38

My DD is 8, and I've recently noticed a small amount in of discharge in her pants. It never crossed my mind that it might be anything other than a sign of her body starting to change, I started my periods at 10 so I'm expecting puberty to hit her fairly early.

Buggers Mon 06-Jun-16 19:21:23

Another thing, does she wash her self in the bath? Could she possibly be using too much soap? As I've heard that can sometimes cause problems down there.

Crispbutty Mon 06-Jun-16 19:23:28

It sounds very normal but just get it checked for your peace of mind anyway.

I was so prone to urinary infections and had very very bad time of it as a child. I was born with thrush, which I know is quite normal but it has plagues my life. Cystitis was agony and I know you say she isnt in any discomfort but it could also be that she is saying that to avoid going to the doctors too.

CoolCarrie Mon 06-Jun-16 19:30:58

I think that it could be too much soap as someone else has posted. I used to wash down there with lots of soap and had the same problem, it was too much and use very mild soap even now.

coco1810 Mon 06-Jun-16 19:31:21

crispbutty she had cystitis last year after tonsillitis, I'd know if she had it again, poor thing but thank you for the advice.

Buggers she does her own bath but she likes me to sit on the loo and chat so its not too much soap.

Thanks to all the advice. I will make a telephone consultation with GP tomorrow rather than dragging her to an appointment and being embarrassed. After having a straight forward boy first, I didn't expect a daughter to be so complicated!

Wellthen Mon 06-Jun-16 19:32:39

Why do people think the pharmacist will suggest cream? She has, based on the op normal coloured, normal smelling, non itchy and not excessive discharge.

So what you're saying is 'my child has no symptoms whatsoever, can I get some cream for that?'

Personally I would either phone the gp or go to an appointment alone, ask advice and see what they say. With those 'symptoms' I think its unlikely they would give a child an intimate examination so that's all they'll have to go on anyway. This saves her the embarrassment and therefore discourage any lying but might put your mind at rest. If the gp is concerned, they'll ask to see her.

FurryLittleTwerp Mon 06-Jun-16 19:33:16

If you took her to the GP she could have a swab taken as it might be a Streptococcal infection - skin organism that sometimes causes vaginal infections in young girls.

FurryLittleTwerp Mon 06-Jun-16 19:33:58

BTW swab wouldn't be internal - just of the discharge on the outside.

AristotleTheGreat Mon 06-Jun-16 19:35:02

A good friend of mine had a dd who did that.
The GP said it was due to hormones and gave her some canesten stuff.

Her dd started her periods abut 1 year later (very tall and developed for her age)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now