Talk

Advanced search

To be perplexed by the sudden LACK of smell?

(6 Posts)
TattyCat Mon 06-Jun-16 10:49:03

Just bought a house as a renovation project and had a woodworm survey on Thursday last week. When a small loft hatch was removed, the smell was horrendous and the surveyor said there was something dead up there, eg. mouse, squirrel or something. The smell was pretty horrific.

I couldn't deal with it there and then as had no step ladders to get up there, so DP and I intended to deal with it yesterday, despite the heat! When DP got up there (cos, you know, he's taller grin ), apart from a lot of mouse droppings, there was no smell. Nothing to see, no smell.

I'm a bit perplexed as to what it could have been because it was so bad and was very 'dead animal' and yet disappeared within 4 days. Am I being unreasonable to be a bit spooked?!

HeyManIJustWantSomeMuesli Mon 06-Jun-16 11:18:21

I've had this with a dead bird/mouse somewhere unreachable; bloody stinks for a while then disappears. I think it's that is probably where it rotted away/been eaten completely to just the bones so nothing left to smell.

HeyManIJustWantSomeMuesli Mon 06-Jun-16 11:18:43

Sorry, that was gross!

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Mon 06-Jun-16 11:20:15

it's probably mummified...all the good weather.

It's not a rotting corpse any more, it's squirrel jerky.

TattyCat Mon 06-Jun-16 11:23:44

Urrrr... squirrel jerky grin

I just don't see how it could rot so quickly so that there's no smell in 4 days? There's also no evidence of a decomposed corpse although that could be anywhere I suppose. Great that it's disappeared, but we also had a dead bird right next to the front door the week before, so I was starting to get a bit spooked. Expecting a horse's head in the bed next... grin

SisterKhloe Mon 06-Jun-16 11:38:45

It rotted, you smelled it, things ate it. Nothing left to smell. Be on the lookout for hordes of bluebottle flies though (disgusting)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now