Talk

Advanced search

To not want Office to tell me I need to shave my legs?

(338 Posts)
AliceInWonderland3 Sun 05-Jun-16 21:41:55

I got an email this week from Office trying to sell me summer shoes, the email also told me not to forget to shave my legs.

AIBU to not want a business who wants female customers telling them they need to shave their legs? I shave my legs because I know people I encounter day-to-day will be horrified by body hair on a woman, but I don't need a business trying to make me feel bad if I choose to go outside without doing so. Or trying to make me feel disgusted by something natural angry

MadameDePomPom Sun 05-Jun-16 21:43:24

Unsubscribe from their emails?

Newes Sun 05-Jun-16 21:44:03

Don't buy from Office.

PreciousVagine Sun 05-Jun-16 21:44:32

Yabu. Their emails will be aimed at their target market or whatever you call it.

MothertotheLordsofmisrule Sun 05-Jun-16 21:45:36

You're overthinking this.

Ffitz Sun 05-Jun-16 21:45:47

I think it was probably a bit of a joke about the warm weather we're having rather than a dictatorial announcement. I wouldn't worry about it. I've got very stubbly legs at the moment.

Kitsa Sun 05-Jun-16 21:45:52

YANBU. Body fascists.

Backingvocals Sun 05-Jun-16 21:46:35

That's crap. If there's one thing you should be able to buy without being body shamed it's shoes.

wheresthel1ght Sun 05-Jun-16 21:48:05

I never remember to shave mine so would appreciate the reminder!

But seriously there are better things to get annoyed about than an email from Office surely?

Olddear Sun 05-Jun-16 21:48:27

If you don't want to shave, don't. They can't take you out and shoot you for it.

GlacindaTheTroll Sun 05-Jun-16 21:49:30

"If there's one thing you should be able to buy without being body shamed it's shoes."

Unless you're a hobbit?

It is a bit crap, isn't it? Because I bet that sentence didn't really add anything.

<wonders idly if they're shaping up for a joint campaign with Wilkinson Sword...>

Queenbean Sun 05-Jun-16 21:49:32

Office is full of overpriced crap these days, YANBU

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sun 05-Jun-16 21:54:53

Sweet Jesus on a rollercoaster. It's nothing personal
. They probably sent out thousands of the same emails. Chill.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sun 05-Jun-16 21:55:46

You shave your legs so that you don't horrify other people?

I shave my legs because I prefer them like that. They feel odd to touch otherwise! I wouldn't do it because other people wouldn't like it if I didn't, they aren't their legs. The same as I wouldn't let other people to choose what I wore or how my hair looked.

I think it was likely friendly conversation, a bantery comment that will appeal to most of their audience. It's hit a nerve with you because it's reminding you to do something that you don't want to do and only do for other people.

I'd work on that, personally. It sounds like an unhappy way to live.

SucculentSoul Sun 05-Jun-16 21:56:09

I thought you meant someone in your office told you to shave your legs. That would have been wrong.

Kitsa Sun 05-Jun-16 21:56:18

Ilive she's not taking it personally. It's just a repellent message to send out.

AliceInWonderland3 Sun 05-Jun-16 21:57:30

Yep I'm never going to shop there again! But I thought others should know what shit they email women so they can decide if they want to spend their money there.

MadameDePomPom Sun 05-Jun-16 21:58:56

They probably sent out thousands of the same emails.

grin

Well yes I don't imagine it was targeted to the OP specifically! grin

That could indeed be worth getting annoyed about! 'Claire Jones the skin on your heels looks really cruddy', 'Jane Smith you might want to do something about that cellulite', 'Rachel Taylor your bum looks really massive in those shorts'.

turtlesallthewaydown Sun 05-Jun-16 21:59:35

That's crap.

noblegiraffe Sun 05-Jun-16 22:01:02

I thought you were talking about Microsoft Office and got very confused.

PaulAnkaTheDog Sun 05-Jun-16 22:01:25

Oh, for the love of God!

TwatbadgingCuntfuckery Sun 05-Jun-16 22:02:40

Send a screen grab of the message to @everydaysexism and @vagendamagazine

I had a similar email from groupon offering me hair removal products and advice on how to be 'sex ready'

I wonder if Office would send out an email telling chaps to go for a sack, back and crack wax because summer is almost here. Same thing but its never done.

BertrandRussell Sun 05-Jun-16 22:03:00

Ah- another batch of under thinkers!

Peyia Sun 05-Jun-16 22:03:36

SucculentSoul I did too, imagine the awkwardness.

YANBU It's odd marketing. Buy our shoes, shave your legs? Could understand if you were subscribed to Gillette.

My legs are like high pile carpet at the moment. Long hair don't care - and the fact I'm 8 months pregnant and can't do it anyway!

SnowBallsAreHere Sun 05-Jun-16 22:03:45

I thought your colleagues were getting a bit personal or your leg hair was so long HR had to mention it as it was causing a trip hazard

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now