Talk

Advanced search

To miss wine o'clock?

(20 Posts)
Itsaplayonwords Sat 04-Jun-16 19:38:00

Being pregnant in the summer makes me miss that nice cold glass of wine at the end of an exhausting day. wine

I'll have to go and eat some chocolate instead!

Pettywoman Sat 04-Jun-16 20:30:06

I had Becks Blue non alcoholic beer when I was pregnant. It is surprisingly good and very refreshing, not too sweet.

Itsaplayonwords Sat 04-Jun-16 20:40:49

Becks Blue is actually really nice. I drink it even when I'm not pregnant. I've never found a decent alcohol free wine though - they're all really sweet.

Pettywoman Sat 04-Jun-16 21:01:15

Yes, they're disgusting. And you can't drink loads of juice, too sugary.

StarkintheSouth Sat 04-Jun-16 21:05:44

Oh God yes a chilled wine in the garden would be so good right about now. Alcohol free beer gives me trapped wind and a painful stomach ache (TMI?) but funnily enough Radler alcohol free does not. Don't know why. Ice cream it is then...

HermioneJeanGranger Sat 04-Jun-16 21:27:03

I found ice lollies to be really refreshing in summer when I couldn't drink due to the meds I was on.

Nectarines Sat 04-Jun-16 21:51:45

I replaced it with a lovely cold tonic water with ice and lime. Mmmmmmm!

BitOutOfPractice Sat 04-Jun-16 22:43:31

The only way to make non alcoholic wine even vaguely palatable is to make it into a long spritzer

StarkyTheDirewolf Sat 04-Jun-16 22:46:06

I've been having bitter lemon with ice and a lime slice. And pretending it's got gin in.

Itsaplayonwords Sun 05-Jun-16 08:21:32

I'm liking the idea of lime and tonic, think I'll go out and get some lime cordial today. It's not wine but it's not water either!

indecisivedoctor Sun 05-Jun-16 08:24:25

definitely doesn't hit the spot like a large chilled glass of white but... I've been having a wine glass with ice, sparking water and those posh cordials- Belvoir elderflower or rose and elderflower. Feels like a treat still at the end of the day ( minus that relaxing buzz that takes away the toddler stress!).

PrimalLass Sun 05-Jun-16 08:52:14

I'm not pregnant, and do love that cold dry wine taste, but I drink bottles and bottles of elderflower tonic and ice. My favourite is the Tesco diet one, and it is only about 45p for a litre smile I prefer it to expensive ones like Fevertree.

Lokisglowstickofdestiny Sun 05-Jun-16 08:55:38

Ice, lime cordial, soda water, a few mint leaves chopped up and a slice of lime.

MalbecAndLindt Sun 05-Jun-16 09:03:27

Sanpenellegrino (sp?) Those really nice cans. They are lovely! Trying to reduce my wine consumption as we are TTC and am really enjoying these as my Saturday night treat. They have different flavours such as lemon, blood orange, pomegranate, grapefruit, lemon & mint. Very refreshing.

ParanoidGynodroid Sun 05-Jun-16 09:44:17

I like elderflower tonic, too,*Primal*. I like Tesco low calorie tonics (4 for £1.50!) the best as they are so unsweet. I'm a dry Juner (see our thread for inspiration smile) and hate that all the non-alcoholic drinks you can buy are sweet. I don't have a sweet tooth at all

Itsaplayonwords Sun 05-Jun-16 12:37:16

I'm with you Paranoid - even mocktails tend to be so sickly sweet with either pineapple or orange juice as the base. Also not great with constant heartburn and indigestion! I'd love an alcohol free mojito.

I'm definitely going to try some of these lemon/lime suggestions. I didn't know San Pellegrino had a lemon and mint one - the lemon one is lovely so I'm going to have a hunt for the one with mint too.

welshweasel Sun 05-Jun-16 12:42:22

I used to drink bottle green elderflower in a champagne flute, made it feel more special. Also kopperburg alcohol free cider with loads of ice. And a weekly glass of cold white wine!

DanceTheBlues Sun 05-Jun-16 13:01:48

I've stopped drinking alcohol as much and have started having "posh" cordials with sparking water in a long glass with lots of ice. Sainsburys do a really nice blood orange cordial and I love the Bottle Green ones too.

Lovewineandchocs Sun 05-Jun-16 13:05:22

When pregnant in the summer I used to sit out with half a glass of wine poured into a tall glass with lots of ice and soda water or diet 7up-yum! This was only when the weather was nice, so about twice during the whole pregnancy lol. I second the alcohol free Becks being nice too smile

Pinkheart5915 Sun 05-Jun-16 13:10:29

I'm pregnant too so no wine for me either again <<sobs>>

I have tonic with lime and ice. DH makes mocktails for me in the garden or gives me sparkling apple juice in champagne flute.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now