Talk

Advanced search

a parking one with a note from neighbour

(491 Posts)
KinkyAfro Sat 04-Jun-16 13:42:39

This is the letter left on DP's van yesterday. We live at 215, attached to 213, then there's a road and then 211 where note writer lives.

I'm having to sit on my hands so I don't write a response. AIBU to think this is a bit passive aggressive or AIBU to park van there?

[Message from MNHQ: We've had to remove the attached letter as it was a bit too identiyfing. We realise the rest of the thread will make little sense now to anyone new to the thread, but we're leaving it up so the OP can continue to discuss with those already on board].

KinkyAfro Sat 04-Jun-16 13:44:24

I should have said we're staying with mum until our new house is ready, we already have 2 cars on drive, van is too big to fit through

gamerchick Sat 04-Jun-16 13:44:55

I cant read that but the length says that someone is royally peed off.

ApocalypseSlough Sat 04-Jun-16 13:45:11

It's not passive aggressive. It's a very straightforward polite request. What's stopping you from parking it outside your house?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 04-Jun-16 13:45:34

What's on the cotd side? (And can you post note in correct orientation?)

KinkyAfro Sat 04-Jun-16 13:46:07

Van is too big to get on drive with the two cars on I meant to say. It's also only been there once during the day when DP was on nights. He does leave it there overnight so from 7.30 pm to 5.00 am.

Think that's it grin

Finola1step Sat 04-Jun-16 13:46:22

So nowt to do with taking up a valuable parking space but blocking their view? The view over their hedge?

Loving the passive aggressive underlining.

ApocalypseSlough Sat 04-Jun-16 13:46:49

When will you be moving? Can you tell him, 'sorry, I can see it's annoying- it won't fit on our drive but we'll be moving in six weeks'

blueskyinmarch Sat 04-Jun-16 13:47:24

You could write back: “Thank you for your polite note. You are correct in stating that you don’t own the road. You also don’t own the view. I will continue to park my van where there is a space available. If the only space is outside your house then that is where i will park.”

ApocalypseSlough Sat 04-Jun-16 13:47:34

Can you park a car on the road and put the van on the drive?

KinkyAfro Sat 04-Jun-16 13:48:07

It's down the side of her house, there's a 6ft fence in between. Just says thanks and her name on other side

SauvignonBlanche Sat 04-Jun-16 13:48:07

Seems pretty polite to me.

WhisperingLoudly Sat 04-Jun-16 13:49:00

It's not passive aggressive. It's maybe a bit OTT but I have no idea how close to her house your van appears to be when she's sat in the garden.

I personally think it's massively anti social to park a van regularly outside someone else's house.

frog51 Sat 04-Jun-16 13:49:17

I would just carry on as normal, until she is polite enough to have an actual chat about it instead. Some people have nothing better to do.

AtiaoftheJulii Sat 04-Jun-16 13:49:20

They can see the van from their back garden? What way round is this house? We need a diagram grin You'd think the 6 foot fence was enough of a blockage to their view. And yes, let's see the other side too!

Shonajay Sat 04-Jun-16 13:49:38

Does the van sit right in front of his house? If so, I'd complain too. We have a lovely light outlook with trees, and sometimes the local plumber, despite there being space outside his house, chooses to park outside ours.

This means we have considerably less light coming in, and a huge van plastered with his name etc on. There's also actually a deed in the properties saying no commercial vehicles to be parked in the street, I'd have no problem if he parked it in his drive, but we only had to politely ask him to move it once and he's not done it since.

KinkyAfro Sat 04-Jun-16 13:49:38

Re the van on drive, we cant get the other car out if van on it, we'd be constantly moving cars around to get me, mum, dp out

MeAndTheMajor Sat 04-Jun-16 13:49:58

True, she doesn't own the road. However, why can't you park it outside your own house?

Purplepicnic Sat 04-Jun-16 13:50:12

I think it's a polite request and it's not unreasonable of them to ask.

Up to you if you comply though - can you park it elsewhere without hassle?

PegsPigs Sat 04-Jun-16 13:50:27

How temporary is temporary?

KinkyAfro Sat 04-Jun-16 13:50:56

The van is at the side of their house, on the road that runs between 213 and 211

IAmTheWhoreOfBabylon Sat 04-Jun-16 13:51:44

Everyone I know in RL thinks it is rude to park outside another person's house only
MN thinks it is a free for all. I would hate a van stuck outside my house

pieceofpurplesky Sat 04-Jun-16 13:51:55

You are in 215 though. I would be pissed off too.

Jenny70 Sat 04-Jun-16 13:52:02

The note seems to say that the van is clearly visible over the neighbour's fence, and whilst they realise they don't own the parking space, it is an inconvenience and makes sitting outside less enjoyable.

To be honest, it seems quite polite to me and should it be possible to park the van elsewhere, or move spots each time I drove it home I would.

If you can't fit the van elsewhere and it's for a short term, I'd maybe return a note saying this - "This space is the only available space that the van fits in, and it is likely to be parked there for X months until our rennovations are complete. Sorry for the inconvenience."

BendydickCuminsnatch Sat 04-Jun-16 13:52:19

It is worded politely but fuck me, who can be arsed to waste their energy caring about a van on the other side of a 6ft fence. Poor love!! It 'mars' her view sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now