To buy an aeropress and expect decent coffee?

(14 Posts)
Marsaday Sat 04-Jun-16 11:33:07

Our filter machine has given up the ghost, so I've been looking at new machines.

My sister has a fancy bean-to-cup machine but it was about £500shock
I found some reviews of the aeropress online which seem good, so I showed OH.
He said "£25?!? But it's just a piece of plastic! It can't possibly make good coffee."

Can anyone enlighten us? It is a useless piece of plastic or does it really produce coffee good enough to rival the £500 machine? Also, is it a pain to clean?

Captainladder Sat 04-Jun-16 11:39:31

I have one. It's a doddle to clean and easy to use. I LOVE coffee, hate the instant stuff, but not enough if a snob to be able to tell if the water that was used to make it was at the exact temperature it should be for the ultimate cup etc etc. I'd buy the aero press and then spend the 475 you have left from not buying a bean to cup on a coffee grinder and some seriously yummy smelling organic coffee beans.

workshyfop Sat 04-Jun-16 11:41:32

They're fab, make great coffee and couldn't be easier to clean. Get one!

exLtEveDallas Sat 04-Jun-16 11:44:33

Love our Aeropress. So much easier and quicker than a cafetière, and less space/cost than a coffee machine. Use decent coffee and you will get a lovely cup. One of my best ever buys.

andadietcoke Sat 04-Jun-16 11:52:07

The DeLonghi bean to cup Magnifica is Amazon's deal of the day today for £219 which is 50% off. Just putting it out there!

Marsaday Sat 04-Jun-16 11:54:48

Hmm, sounds good so far. I have a really good grinder already.
Currently using waitrose peruvian fair-trade decaf beans. I only buy fair trade coffee and currently limited to decaff as my baby is EBF and even one normal coffee turns her into a grizzling grumpy nightmare for the entire day. This means my choices are rather limited at the moment sadly.

Any suggestions of places to get really good decaf fair-trade beans also gratefully received!

Marsaday Sat 04-Jun-16 11:55:58

andadietcoke eek, why did you tell me that??? <Runs off to check amazon>

GravityLucy Sat 04-Jun-16 11:56:59

I bought one for my DH. He loves it and I have received lots of good comments about the coffee it makes when I do one for friends. I don't really drink coffee myself. My friend who has a fancy pants coffee machine said she was going to buy one for when she's just doing a coffee for herself as it's quicker & easier to use the aeropress and the coffee is as good.

CharlieSierra Sat 04-Jun-16 11:58:15

I use an Aeropress at work. It's great.

andadietcoke Sat 04-Jun-16 12:01:13

marsaday sorry! I just tried to find it and searching doesn't bring the deal one up wierdly but this is the link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0036TDF6I/ref=cmswrcpapi_JsRuxbY4VBSQ6

witsender Sat 04-Jun-16 12:01:20

We love ours. so much that we have a couple that to work, come camping etc. It took a while to find a coffee that we liked with it, as you use a different amount to a normal filter coffee so they can taste different. But neither of us like instant, and don't always have the time for a full filter/it may just be one of us so the Aeropress is great.

Only time I switch back to a filter machine is if we have lots of people round and it is easier to do a jug.

expatinscotland Sat 04-Jun-16 12:03:05

We have a filter machine for mornings because we drink a lot of coffee in the mornings. I got an AeroPress for my birthday a couple of years ago and take it with me traveling because I cannot stand instant coffee.

Bolograph Sat 04-Jun-16 12:08:08

Although most of the coffee is shit there are hidden gems in the nespresso range, the cheapest machines are exactly the same as the expensive ones bar the decor and you get a decent coffee in a minute with nothing to clean and no loose grounds. If keen you can fill your own capsules with your preferred coffee although that seems a faff, and there are lots of third party capsules now. For about sixty quid it is hard to fault.

onemoremummy Sat 04-Jun-16 12:09:58

We love our aeropress!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now