Talk

Advanced search

To ask where and how you keep bananas in your house

(56 Posts)
WittgensteinsBunny Fri 03-Jun-16 21:04:21

Because I'm sick of them just cluttering up the side in our kitchen and just, well you know, hanging about in an awkward and unsightly fashion.

booksandcoffee Fri 03-Jun-16 21:05:17

In my stepson's stomach, mostly.

SoleBizzz Fri 03-Jun-16 21:05:45

Fruit bowl

WittgensteinsBunny Fri 03-Jun-16 21:07:42

solebizz On their own? Or with other fruit? We keep most other fruit in the fridge. We don't have a fruit bowl. Maybe I need a banana bowl.

acasualobserver Fri 03-Jun-16 21:10:01

On their own on a special banana hook. If you put them in the fruit bowl they make the other fruit ripen too fast. Or they are made to ripen too fast. Or something along those lines. Perhaps.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Fri 03-Jun-16 21:10:50

In a banana bag (from Lakeland) in the fridge.

HixieRice Fri 03-Jun-16 21:12:27

On a freestanding banana hook on the shelf (they still mummify too soon)

WittgensteinsBunny Fri 03-Jun-16 21:12:29

acasualobserver that's what I thought. That they give off a gas which over ripens other fruit. Maybe?

...off to check out bags and hooks and then sort a shelf to put said thing on...

WittgensteinsBunny Fri 03-Jun-16 21:14:19

Just read... In the fridge? Does that work? That really solves my problem. Off to browse Lakeland and drown my banana sorrows in Chardonnay lamenting over what Friday night has now become

SoleBizzz Fri 03-Jun-16 21:18:53

Just bananas in this house.

Nottalotta Fri 03-Jun-16 21:20:14

In a basket on the dining table, next to the fruit bowl.

idontlikealdi Fri 03-Jun-16 21:21:15

We don't. I got pissed of with the fruit flies.

MissJM1 Fri 03-Jun-16 21:23:27

All my fruit goes into a big fruit bowl and is kept on top of my fridge, used to have it on the kitchen side but my DS2 would literally eat the lot within 2 days

Playduh Fri 03-Jun-16 21:31:50

Have a big bowl and a dish it sits on. Fruit in bowl, bananas in dish. But mainly one bit goes in DS's stomach and the rest ends up in the bin.

How does everyone store half eaten bananas? Is it possible?

They're not going in the fridge, they make everything else taste of banana.

BretonTop Fri 03-Jun-16 21:33:00

I bought one of those metal fruit bowls with the arched bent hook thing-a-majig on it from Wilko's a few years back. My bananas hang on the hook. Always keep fresh and not-so fresh bananas apart though, as know the old ones will ripen the green ones too quickly and they'll go manky.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Fri 03-Jun-16 21:34:51

In the kitchen window on a banana tree.

Offler Fri 03-Jun-16 21:35:17

Banana bag here too, keeps in the fridge for up to 2 weeks, skins look a funny colour, but banana inside is fine!

NickyEds Fri 03-Jun-16 21:41:34

In the fruit bowl with all of the rest of the fruit. We get through loads of fruit so I don't worry about stuff ripening too soon.

marmaladegranny Fri 03-Jun-16 21:44:22

Another vote for banana bag in the fridge! They don't smell in their bag.

MelanieCheeks Fri 03-Jun-16 22:17:24

Most of mine are in the freezer. Dh is incapable of buying just the 2bananas needed for stepsons lunches, and can only buy a bunch of 6 in a plastic bag. So the unused ones go a deeper brown in a fruit bowl until I bung them in the freezer for making muffins or bread or summat with at a later stage. I reckon there are about 20 of the feckers in there currently.

dudsville Fri 03-Jun-16 22:18:58

On their own in the larder. The only other fresh food in there is the potato store.

rocknrollchicken Fri 03-Jun-16 22:20:37

Had to get 2nd fruitbowl to acommodate ridiculous massive Tesco supernanas. But I put in all the 'soft' fruit which is rock solid ('ready to eat' - my arse), and plonk the bananas on top, and voila, nice soft fruit in no time!

Ankleswingers Fri 03-Jun-16 22:20:54

On the kitchen window on a banana hook. We eat a ridiculous amount of bananas in this house grin

Archaea Fri 03-Jun-16 22:22:13

On a loop of string suspended from the curtain rail (DPs weird contraption!)

WorraLiberty Fri 03-Jun-16 22:22:18

I've often wondered why they don't make 2 tier fruit bowls so you can keep the bananas separate?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now