Talk

Advanced search

...to travel to Egypt?

(74 Posts)
AdoraKiora Fri 03-Jun-16 16:07:35

Its my mum's 70th birthday soon. She is a very intrepid traveller, has travelled the world, but hasn't been to Egypt and would love to see the pyramids before she gets too past it to travel.

We are both ancient civilisation geeks, and have talked about going on one of those Jules Verne Cairo-Luxor Nile tours for years. Are now starting to talk about doing it more seriously, possibly for next Spring.

UK government doesn't advise against it (North and South Sinai and the areas around Sharm seem to be the 'no go' areas), but I would be leaving two young children at home with their dad and feel a sudden attack of 'am I being unreasonable/irresponsible?' coming on.

Would you go in the current climate?

helpbuyingahouse Fri 03-Jun-16 16:10:05

Whaaat? And then if something happens, I am sure you would be the first to blame the Foreign Office for not doing enough.

Please go, since you seem more versed in ancient history than contemporary history. However, also sign a disclaimer that you don't expect the UK government to come and help you if something happens. Find an escape route by yourself. YABU.

Hoppinggreen Fri 03-Jun-16 16:10:06

No I wouldn't.
I know some people say you could be caught in a terrorist attack in London too but I would feel very unsafe in Egypt or Tunisia and wouldn't even consider going. Even if nothing happened I would be permanently worried it would and couldn't enjoy myself.

petitpois55 Fri 03-Jun-16 16:10:30

No not in the present climate, or any other climate to be honest. We hated the place when we went a couple of years ago.

Namechangeforthebadstuff Fri 03-Jun-16 16:10:50

Nope. Not a chance in hell.

hellsbellsmelons Fri 03-Jun-16 16:12:34

I love Egypt but even I wouldn't go in the current climate.

exLtEveDallas Fri 03-Jun-16 16:20:03

We are going to Egypt twice this year - summer hols and Xmas, both times to Hurghada. We've been 3 times before and have done Cairo/Pyramids/Luxor/Valley etc on previous visits.

I'd never go on a Nile cruise - I know lots of people that have been and ALL of them have been very ill. Conditions are pretty poor and the Nile itself is minging.

We won't be going back to the Pyramids etc until this latest round of unrest is sorted. I have never felt scared or out of my depth in Egypt; I think it's a fabulous country, but the major tourist traps are asking for trouble.

SouperSal Fri 03-Jun-16 16:30:53

Husband is off to Hurgarda in about 3 weeks. Neither of us has an ounce of panic about it. Have made sure his life assurance is paid up.

TheFuckersBitingMe Fri 03-Jun-16 16:38:12

Nope. We went 5 years ago when DS2 was 6 months old and were given the "you're crazy" talk by several friends. It was a great holiday and DS2 loved it (as much as any 6 month old could love anything). It was a fab holiday, but with the unrest and chances of terror attacks increasing so much, I wouldn't consider going near Giza or any of the tourist spots for a long, long time.

As a family we're not easily scared and we travel with the DCs often, but we went this Easter to Paris via Brussels. It was sufficiently close to spook DS1 (who has ASD) and I will be cautious about major tourist hotspots for a while.

Bearbehind Fri 03-Jun-16 16:44:40

I've been to Egypt several times and would struggle to recommend it even before the troubles- I always had an uneasy feeling going through the checkpoints etc- I wouldnt go near it now.

Slightly baffled by exlteve though- if the major tourist traps are asking for trouble, why are you going to Hurghada twice? hmm

Puzzledandpissedoff Fri 03-Jun-16 16:46:41

I went on a Nile cruise in April and had a wonderful time - no illness at all (Thomson ship) though it's important to be careful, use absolutely no local water, avoid salads, etc.

At no time did I feel under any kind of threat among the locals, though their desperation over the ruined tourist economy is clear. There's no point in trying to buy anything as prices simply reflect the "donation" they want rather than an item's value ... I'm talking £20 for a small pack of spice, £40 for a cheap cotton scarf, etc. You'll no doubt hate the extreme poverty, and I doubt you'll enjoy the fact women are practically invisible, but apart from that it's an amazing experience

The only thing which did freak me out was the totally ineffective security at the airport ... much shouting and posturing but little else. If you go I hope it all works out, but if anything should happen security-wise you'll very clearly be on your own

wasabipeanut Fri 03-Jun-16 16:52:56

I went years ago & even then there were times when DH and I exchanged nervous glances. Going through check points to places like Dashur was frightening in 2004 never mind now. We also got a coach from Cairo to Sharm and it makes you realise how vulnerable you are crossing the desert.

Airport security really ineffective IMO.

In summary I wouldn't dream of returning although I feel sorry for civilians of a country whose tourist revenues have plunged.

petitpois55 Fri 03-Jun-16 17:06:00

Interesting what you saw about women being invisible. We found that incredibly eerie. DD, 13 at the time felt really uncomfortable on the few occasions we ventured outside the hotel I have never visited anywhere with less redeeming features to be honest..

RortyCrankle Fri 03-Jun-16 17:06:16

I wouldn't go there if you paid me.

twelly Fri 03-Jun-16 17:11:50

Egypt has fantastic relics and is an amazing place. However I would not be visiting in the current climate, sadly the tourism of many countries has suffered.

KleineDracheKokosnuss Fri 03-Jun-16 17:15:36

I'd still go on a cruise/package.

TSSDNCOP Fri 03-Jun-16 17:23:06

No. We were due to go a couple of years ago and bowed out. To me it boiled down to whether at very short notice we could get the DC out of the resort to a waiting flight. You're in a similar boat with a 70 year old. Recent history tells us the region and its airspace and flights are clear targets. You might be alright but you just don't know.

Puzzledandpissedoff Fri 03-Jun-16 17:34:58

Know what you mean about your DD, petitpois, as some fellow guests had their 16 year old DD with them. Luckily she had the sense to dress modestly - we all did, out of respect as much as for safety - but while she was never hassled, far less attacked, the "interest" was still there in the local mens' eyes

I knew and accepted the risk for myself, and as I said I had an amazing time, but I do agree with TSSDNCOP that it's not a place to go with anyone who's vulnerable

thisonethennomore Fri 03-Jun-16 17:39:27

If the FO advised against won't your travel insurance not be valid?
I wouldn't go at the moment, I think it's foolhardy, there are so many other places in the world.

ilovesprouts Fri 03-Jun-16 17:39:45

Hell nope my boyfriend was going to a diving holiday in Feb but cancelled due to all the troubles out there .

SouperSal Fri 03-Jun-16 17:48:00

If the FO advised against won't your travel insurance not be valid

But they're not advising against travel to all parts of Egypt. If they do, DH's trip will be cancelled. (They have far more info re likely terrorist issues than we do.)

Puzzledandpissedoff Fri 03-Jun-16 17:49:25

thisonethennomore I'm no expert, but I very much doubt insurers would pay out for someone who'd travelled against FCO advice ... they're bad enough at weaselling out of claims anyway, and surely that would be classed as wilfully putting yourself in danger?

thisonethennomore Fri 03-Jun-16 18:07:53

Sorry puzzled that's what I was trying to say, too many double negatives blush

Zaurak Fri 03-Jun-16 18:27:20

I went on a dive trip there a couple of years after the Luxor massacre.
Sharm is an utter pit of a place. We were strongly advised not to leave the area. Any time we set foot outside the hotel (well covered up) I was harassed and followed. Almost all the group got horrific food poisoning - the cliche about food hygiene standards is true. And that was in a pretty posh hotel.
The archaeology may be fabulous but the country itself is a hellhole (sorry, any lovely Egyptian mumsnetters) as a woman I felt very vulnerable.

Personally there's no way I'd go. I've travelled widely and lived in several different countries so I'm not sheltered or paranoid, but no way .

mummymeister Fri 03-Jun-16 18:30:40

I would really love to go. but cant see it being possible in the next few years due to safety.

if you were a young fit 20 something travelling on your own then I might say fair enough you can get yourself out of a scrape. but not with a 70 year old really not.

you would have to be very clear about what your insurance policy would and wouldn't cover. you would probably need to get a pretty comprehensive one rather than the usual off the shelf type.

sorry, I really can see the appeal but what about Athens or Belize both with brilliant ancient civilisation relics and both well worth a trip for different reasons (and different budgets)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now