Talk

Advanced search

To hate the stupid rabbits

(72 Posts)
HairsprayBabe Thu 02-Jun-16 18:01:28

So MIL and FIL have gone on holiday this week. DP said we would look after the rabbits while they were away without asking me.

The rabbits are house rabbits and currently in a hutch in the kitchen stinking our whole house out angry

DP said because I am on annual leave this week I can clean out and look after them....
I went to change the water this morning and one of the fuckers bit me angry

So I am leaving them and DP can clean them out when he gets home. The whole of the downstairs of my house STINKS... DP says we are a team and I should pull my weight when it comes to helping family!

Please please tell me I am not mad and unreasonable... sad

SeemsLegit Thu 02-Jun-16 18:04:39

I would make sure they had food and water but I wouldn't be handling them or cleaning them if they're biters. Let your DP do that since he was so keen to have them

HairsprayBabe Thu 02-Jun-16 18:09:06

I have pushed food in through the bars of the hutch IYKWIM the water is in a bowl not a bottle so i have poured it in with a sports bottle
Im not being cruel to them sad

tinyterrors Thu 02-Jun-16 18:14:03

Leave it for your dp. He agreed to look after them without consulting you so they're his problem to sort out. If he'd consulted you and you'd agreed then I'd say you're a team and look after them between you but he didn't so leave him to it.

Bearbehind Thu 02-Jun-16 18:15:57

It might just be me but I find adults without children keeping rabbits really quite weird/ creepy hmm

It's also cruel to keep them indoors in a cage IMO- at least in an outdoor run they can stretch their legs and smell less.

I know it doesn't help now but I'd never have them again.

Wolfiefan Thu 02-Jun-16 18:17:54

He agreed to it? He didn't ask you?
He needs to crack on and look after them then.

HairsprayBabe Thu 02-Jun-16 18:21:34

They are DPs sister she is at uni and they live with MIL and FIL, she got them when she was 11 or twelve so old rabbits! They free range in the garden if itbisnt raining so they have a very pampered life when at home...

DP loves them hmm and it is super weird I just hate how he drags me into things he agrees to do!

UnderTheGreenwoodTree Thu 02-Jun-16 18:24:41

How kind of your DH to volunteer your services like that hmm

I like bunnies myself - but the bite would be a dealbreaker.

He can clean them out. YANBU.

VodkaValiumLattePlease Thu 02-Jun-16 18:28:54

Bearbehind you may feel that, but rabbits aren't really a good pet for children anyway, they don't like being picked up or cuddles and kids don't get that.

megletthesecond Thu 02-Jun-16 18:30:02

They need to be free ranging and they'll be happy again. Hutches rabbits are miserable sods.

pictish Thu 02-Jun-16 18:32:14

Well the decision is made - your dh will be taking care of the rabbits.
What a bloody cheek he has, offering to do it then leaving it to you. Fuck that.

Leigh1980 Thu 02-Jun-16 18:33:21

I had a rabbit for 8 years. Why the hell is it creepy and wierd Bearbehind? I like rabbits. You're wierd for thinking you shouldn't have a rabbit of you don't have kids. I'm never having a child so does that mean I can never have a rabbit?? Mine was an indoor rabbit and ran free in and outside. He was very happy and got on well with my cats. They used to all share the cat biscuits hmm

HairsprayBabe Thu 02-Jun-16 18:34:05

Our garden isn't safe for them next door have a dog and the fence is "escapeable"

One is lovely and calm the other i am fairly sure acended from hell angry devil rabbit

Leigh1980 Thu 02-Jun-16 18:34:27

Mine didn't smell either at all!

Gottagetmoving Thu 02-Jun-16 18:38:16

Your DP is bu not consulting you before agreeing to take the rabbits, especially if he expects you to look after them
I wouldn't be looking after any ones animals but would agree to having them if my DP was happy to take care of them.

jessplussomeonenew Thu 02-Jun-16 18:39:09

You're a team, which is why he should have consulted you!

HairsprayBabe Thu 02-Jun-16 18:54:06

I know! It's like he thought I wouldnt have anything better to do with my holiday...

70isaLimitNotaTarget Thu 02-Jun-16 19:03:15

Is it a long distance from your house to your ILs?
I'd be tempted to ship the stinky rabbits back to their own house and make your DP sleep there have his dinner with the bunnies, see them for breakfast, let them run round the garden while he supervises and clean the cage .

That'll make him a bit less keen to volunteer you wink

XiCi Thu 02-Jun-16 19:05:24

You should have them bubbling in a pot for when he gets in from work wink

HairsprayBabe Thu 02-Jun-16 19:11:08

Its not far at all about a 10 min walk, but we dont drive and i am absolutly not hoofing them all that way!

XiCi
Interesting thought... couldnt do that to a poor defenceless animal though... so it would just be the biter going in grin

Noregretsatall Thu 02-Jun-16 19:22:40

Yabu! I have a bunny, he doesn't smell! If the poor little blighters are confined to a hutch all day then no wonder they smell! The litter tray is overflowing I expect. This always makes me sad when I hear of bunnies locked up, if it was a cat kept confined all day, there'd be an outrage. Bunnies need to run and hop and stretch their powerful back legs. They only bite to defend themselves and usually it's because they feel threatened or are not used to being handled.

Noregretsatall Thu 02-Jun-16 19:26:09

Sorry just seen your post that they free range in garden when at home. They're probably miserable stuck in a hutch. sad

HairsprayBabe Thu 02-Jun-16 19:27:40

Good job they are going back to the PiLs at the end of the week then, shame on me for neglecting the rabbits i didn't even want hmm

Litter tray is not over flowing... they are being cleaned out twice a day...
its probably because we dont have rabbits in the house normally and so I am not used to the smell of them

HairsprayBabe Thu 02-Jun-16 19:29:33

Sorry Noregrets that came out very nasty blush

Lurkedforever1 Thu 02-Jun-16 19:31:59

Buy a huge garden run, and then volunteer dh and his parents to refund you. No wonder they're grumpy stuck in a hutch.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now