Talk

Advanced search

To ask my company for its maternity policy

(5 Posts)
LittleLionMansMummy Thu 02-Jun-16 14:15:31

Newish company, became operational a little over a year ago. Small (16 staff), straddles public/ private sector. They have no maternity policy drawn up yet (I'm the first member of staff to fall pregnant) and I'd quite like to know what I'll get paid - statutory or enhanced. I'm 16 weeks pregnant and told them at 10 weeks. Will it sound grubby if I push them? I know the policy won't be written overnight but AIBU for at least asking what I might be able to expect financially? I'm currently basing it on statutory to be on the safe side, but might be going without things needlessly just so I can afford more time off when the baby is born. It all feels a bit tight at the moment!

LittleLionMansMummy Thu 02-Jun-16 14:16:21

grabby not grubby! Bloody phone.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Thu 02-Jun-16 14:21:23

Just ask them. The default position is statutory but if they choose to do an occupational scheme then they should let you know.

They're not under any obligation to offer more than statutory so bear that in mind when asking and keep in their good books.

HelloHola Thu 02-Jun-16 14:25:00

I'd be surprised if they offered anything more than statutory due to their size and how new they are - if they haven't got a policy in place just yet, then I doubt they've really thought about giving people any more than SMP.

I would ask them as soon as you can and keep asking them.

You have done everything right by letting them know with plenty of notice, so you're not in the wrong.

LittleLionMansMummy Thu 02-Jun-16 14:29:52

That was my thinking Hello especially as they don't yet even offer sick pay. I've been very careful to say how committed I am. They're very good and try to treat staff well, so I'm wondering if I could ask if they might be prepared to offer an enhanced level if I commit to paying it back of I were to leave within a year of returning to work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now