Talk

Advanced search

AIBU about mumsnet trending identifiable threads on facebook?

(22 Posts)
DoesMyMarthaCliffLookBigInThis Wed 01-Jun-16 23:49:52

I know that anything you put on mumsnet is visible to the whole world, but am I being unreasonable to think that mn sharing threads with very identifiable details on their Facebook page is a bit off? I mean, fair enough to share if they are lighthearted or humorous even though it still leaves the op open to being outed, but I've just seen the thead about the woman with the vegan daughter wedding appear on my fb newsfeed. Fuck sake. Of course anyone who knows the people involved in that situation will immediately identify them. Are mnhq taking tips from the daily fail now? hmm waits for story to appear on dm

Blink1982 Wed 01-Jun-16 23:52:10

Yanbu. I've never thought of that

WorraLiberty Wed 01-Jun-16 23:53:41

If that woman gets identified by people in her RL, how can you blame Mumsnet?

The OP herself put the thread on an open, public forum - one that Google throws up all the time.

Unlike facebook threads, which don't show up on Google.

notamummy10 Thu 02-Jun-16 00:00:04

I think they share the threads that are most active at the time, I guess it's for traffic. Not everybody who likes the Facebook page is a member of MN. I also get emails about active threads too!

If the OP(s) doesn't want people to identify them, then perhaps lay off with the personal details. that could 'out' them. But that is a risk with a public and anonymous forum... Although sometimes writing styles can sometimes give a person away especially if they've been outed before.

50shadesofTom Thu 02-Jun-16 05:41:23

People shouldn't post on the Internet if they don't want other people to read it and possibly identify them.

CombineBananaFister Thu 02-Jun-16 06:04:32

I've been uneasy a few times when I've wanted to post stuff, do you change a few details to make it less able to guess who you are in RL and risk the wrath of fellow posters who hunt down all your previous posts? but, as others have said, anyone could see it anyway and Wright stuff production team seem to be on here enoug as do the Dailymail looking for interesting fodder.

insancerre Thu 02-Jun-16 06:20:51

Yabu
I am often shocked by how much information people share on here
If you don't want people to know then don't lost on the internet

Sparklingbrook Thu 02-Jun-16 07:06:58

Post on MN and the thread could end up anywhere, that's the chance you take. If you don't want that don't post it. Simple.

MidniteScribbler Thu 02-Jun-16 07:18:29

If you don't want to be recognised online, then you shouldn't post anything.

Janecc Thu 02-Jun-16 07:36:38

For anything really sensitive I have a second name smile

TheNaze73 Thu 02-Jun-16 07:55:12

YABU. It's a public forum on the internet.

GeoffreysGoat Thu 02-Jun-16 14:46:39

I assumed it was an algorithm - over x many views or posts per minute and some app sticks it on other social media

NickiFury Thu 02-Jun-16 15:01:26

I agree actually. People post on MN because they need support and advice. Obviously it's a risk that they could be picked up elsewhere but I think it's a bit mercenary to use people's problems as click bait. Hardly anyone I know in RL uses MN, everyone I know in RL uses FB, so if I posted on here it would be highly unlikely to be picked up by anyone I know but very likely if trailed on FB and Twitter. I don't think they should do it with highly recognisable threads and the "well tough don't share on here then" is pretty cold imho. Some people don't have anywhere else to get support.

FurryWalls Thu 02-Jun-16 15:16:38

YABU. But I also had this thought a few days ago when a comment I had made appeared on the MN Swears By email. Totally unidentifiable, but it got me thinking nonetheless.

I frequently name change and if I post anything identifiable, I change small details (DC ages, sex, number of, etc...) so that if my thread does end up on Facebook or in the Fail I won't get outed.

It's common sense which seems to escape so, so many people on here. I am frequently shocked at threads which leave the OP just so identifiable. Or maybe they just don't give a shite about being outed. In which case, fair play to them.

dollylucy Thu 02-Jun-16 15:57:01

But don't only MN users like the MN Facebook page?
So random people aren't going to see the MN thread on FB?

dollylucy Thu 02-Jun-16 15:57:46

Anyone who posts on the moments on FB is identifiable yes, that's a bit obvious

FurryWalls Thu 02-Jun-16 16:39:29

Dolly The whole point of them is that they can be shared. They're click bait.

dollylucy Thu 02-Jun-16 18:38:02

But why would MNrs do that?

FurryWalls Thu 02-Jun-16 18:41:50

For the same reasons most things are shared on FB...the sharer believes others on their timeline may find the content interesting / relevant / funny. I guess? confused

MissBattleaxe Thu 02-Jun-16 18:42:21

Anything you post on MN is available for any member of the public to see. You only have to look at the share buttons to your left. That's why people hide behind user names and sometimes keep withold specific detail.

It's not MN's fault if it gets shared- it'a public website.

dollylucy Thu 02-Jun-16 19:45:23

I guess I'm just thinking that I would like to stay anonymous so would never share anything on FB, I guess other MNrs might not think that way

Trills Thu 02-Jun-16 20:10:24

There are fewer followers of the MN Facebook page than there are people who visit MN Talk and see the "Most active" (now "Trending") in the top right.

And that's not curated, it's just based on activity.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now