Talk

Advanced search

to only do the washing up/put dishwasher on and no other cleaning on departing our holiday cottage?

(199 Posts)
bibbitybobbityyhat Wed 01-Jun-16 20:19:06

Oh and empty bins?

Just having a week away in a not inexpensive cottage. Have to be out by 10 on the last day, am planning to leave nothing dirty lying around (apart from sheets, obvs) but shan't be doing any actual cleaning either.

That's not unreasonable is it?

honeysucklejasmine Wed 01-Jun-16 20:20:39

Depends on what the terms of your rental says, really.

MargotLovedTom Wed 01-Jun-16 20:20:39

No. They will be cleaning ready for the next guests so why would you? I wouldn't leave it a mess, but it doesn't sound like you've done that.

HoggleHoggle Wed 01-Jun-16 20:20:50

I think that's fine. We left a holiday cottage last week and did the same - bin empty, fridge and cupboards empty, dirty towels all in one place, dishwasher washing remaining crockery form breakfast.

frenchielala Wed 01-Jun-16 20:20:54

Not unreasonable. They will have a cleaner employed.

ApostrophesMatter Wed 01-Jun-16 20:21:04

The dishwasher should be empty. And you should clean any excess dirt, like mud on the floor and the loos etc.

Littlepeople12345 Wed 01-Jun-16 20:21:30

They might take cleaning money from your deposit. I've recently seen a FB post on someone's cottage page review section where they didn't get it back due to the dirty toilet and muddy floors.

Sparklingbrook Wed 01-Jun-16 20:22:34

Are there any instructions to do any more? We have been to lots of holiday lets, some have a list of what to do on departure others didn't say anything.

have you paid a deposit that you need returning that might be affected?

whois Wed 01-Jun-16 20:22:38

You should leave holiday cottages tidy, and make sure there is no washing up left.

That is all.

BackforGood Wed 01-Jun-16 20:22:56

Part of the money you pay to hire it, is for a cleaner to come in and clean before the next arrival. That's why you have to be out by 10am. Of course you are not expected to clean.

Curiousmum69 Wed 01-Jun-16 20:23:26

Surely that's the perks of a holiday.

But ask the letting agent if you're unsure. They most likely have cleaners.

ChippyMinton Wed 01-Jun-16 20:23:33

Sounds fine.

Kimononono Wed 01-Jun-16 20:23:56

I can't not help clean all the way through. We go to a beautiful cottage every year and know the owners and would be embarrassed to leave it any other way.

Dh says I'm crackers 😂😂😂

Sparklingbrook Wed 01-Jun-16 20:25:07

One we went to in Portsmouth said we could clean it ourselves on departure or pay an extra £60 for them to get the cleaner in.

I chose wrong. sad

Newes Wed 01-Jun-16 20:27:24

I strip the beds, Hoover round quickly, make sure no dirty pots or toilets. That's all. We pay a premium for 'extra' cleaning when we take the dog so I'm certainly not doing an hour or more cleaning of the whole place.

SmileAndNod Wed 01-Jun-16 20:27:49

I don't deep clean like I would at home but I empty bins/ fridge/ dishwasher, wipe round kitchen, rinse bathroom and hoover round to get the sand / grass off. Just the basics in case we ever want to go back smile

DubiousCredentials Wed 01-Jun-16 20:29:19

I usually strip the beds, empty bins and obv don't leave washing up. I do leave the dishwasher on with the last load in though.

Elle80 Wed 01-Jun-16 20:29:47

No I never do. I leave it tidy and empty dishwasher but that's it. We came back from a week in Devon in a cottage and got our housekeeping bond back the next day so I guess they found that reasonable

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 01-Jun-16 20:29:50

I think it is common courtesy to leave it visually as you found it.

wizzywig Wed 01-Jun-16 20:29:52

I strip the beds, empty bins into wheelie bins (if i can find them), wash up dishes and leave them to dry, leave towels in the bath tub, tidy up too

StillStayingClassySanDiego Wed 01-Jun-16 20:30:01

When we've stayed in rented houses we've always stripped the beds as requested in the literature.

rookiemere Wed 01-Jun-16 20:30:47

YANBU
I wouldn't leave a place in a state, but neither would I be hoovering or dusting unless there is a charge if I don't.

NapQueen Wed 01-Jun-16 20:31:08

A big group of us rent a Highlands house every year and we always strip the beds and put all the laundry by the machine, empty all bins and take recycling to where it should go, take all perishable foodstuffs away, leaving anything that could be used again and won't spoil (herbs, oil, unused loo rolls, unused kitchen towels), chuck all the tea towels in the wash and vacuum our way out.

NapQueen Wed 01-Jun-16 20:31:45

Oh and out away all dishes, all furniture back where it started out and clean over the worktops.

Caravanoflove Wed 01-Jun-16 20:32:13

I once had my deposit withheld as the toilet was dirty and the cleaner had to clean it! I had hoovered through, place was neat and tidy otherwise. There were no instructions to clean before we left and the cottage wasn't cheap. If you rent a cottage out to 6 people do you expect them not to use the toilet?!
I got the deposit back, ridiculous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now