Talk

Advanced search

To be eating like royalty while the kids are away?

(46 Posts)
DuvetDayEveryday Wed 01-Jun-16 16:53:57

Older two DC are away for the week at camp, so it's just me, DH and the four year old who eats like a bird.

We did our online shop on Monday and realised we could buy a whole world of goodies for our usual budget as we don't have to feed the kids. Plus they are fussy buggers so a lot of things are off the menu when they're here (unless I cook two or three separate meals, which I do occasionally).

So yesterday we had crispy duck and pancakes and then roast lamb with sweet potatoes.

Today we had sort of huevos rancheros with avocado and some overpriced chilli mayonnaise, and we're having a duck breast salad with croutons for dinner.

The rest of the week we've got a hot hot curry, sea bass, stuffed chicken breasts and a couple of Pizza Express pizzas.

It's twice as much meat as we'd usually eat and there's no way we'd usually buy duck, especially not twice in the week, as although the kids love it it works out too expensive.

I'm feeling a teeny tiny bit guilty though. Some of it is stuff they wouldn't eat anyway but some of it (duck, roast lamb, pizzas) is treat food they'd love.

Aibu? I think I might be a bit.

Thurlow Wed 01-Jun-16 16:59:34

Christ, no! Isn't this the joy of your kids going away for a bit?!

squoosh Wed 01-Jun-16 17:01:04

Are you sure you'll want them to return home though?

DuvetDayEveryday Wed 01-Jun-16 17:04:19

I must admit the thought of pasta bake and nuggets and chips again next week is turning me pale.

squoosh Wed 01-Jun-16 17:08:24

You've had a few good years with them. I say set them free and continue enjoying your top notch grub.

DuvetDayEveryday Wed 01-Jun-16 17:12:22

grin

fieldfare Wed 01-Jun-16 17:15:37

Enjoy it, we're doing the same!
Dd is veggie so we usually eat mainly vegetarian meals during the week as it's easier. We're having a meat feast this week!

nuttymango Wed 01-Jun-16 17:27:39

Can I come round for dinner at yours?

Penfold007 Wed 01-Jun-16 17:30:16

The oldest two are away at camp having fun so treat yourselves and enjoy. Like you I prefer to cook one meal the family will eat and avoid doing separate meals. If DS isn't home then fish is on the menu if DD is away more meat is eaten. Do something they both really enjoy for when they return.

shinynewusername Wed 01-Jun-16 17:30:17

You are comfort eating to deal with missing them so much, so definitely NBU wink

oldlaundbooth Wed 01-Jun-16 17:31:54

Will your four year old tell on you, though?

scampimom Wed 01-Jun-16 17:32:01

Lord no, tuck in while you have the chance!! It's not as if it was all your DCs' favourites and you're laughing devillishly as you shovel it all in your face, chuckling about your poor deprived LOs - they wouldn't want that stuff if they were there!

Save me a plate of huevos rancheros would you

MothertotheLordsofmisrule Wed 01-Jun-16 17:32:23

Yanbu.

Says the woman who is getting excited at the thought of eating an aubergine/courgette based meal when fussy pants dh goes out this Sat.

babynail Wed 01-Jun-16 17:35:39

Yabu to feed your poor children crap like nuggets and pasta bake.

squoosh Wed 01-Jun-16 17:36:20

There's always one...........

AdoraKiora Wed 01-Jun-16 17:36:37

God, no! YANBU.

When I have the odd evening to myself I dont even cook - I just have an platter of stinky cheese and posh crackers, wine and then a bit later a luscious dessert or some posh chocolate.

Gotta give the old meal-planning and pasta bake-making a miss when you have the chance! grin

Niggit Wed 01-Jun-16 17:37:10

No, YANB at all U! Go on, fill yer boots - for us it's one of the joys of the two of us going away in the motorhome. Sigh I still remember stuffing my face on smoked scallops and oatcakes washed down with single malt in a remote corner of Uist...

NoncommittalToSparkleMotion Wed 01-Jun-16 17:37:38

Hell no YANBU. I'm coming over for dinner!

twilightcafe Wed 01-Jun-16 17:39:20

What's bad about pasta bake?

YANBU

BeatricePotter Wed 01-Jun-16 17:47:28

Another reason why I don't have kids.

Every day is a banquet in the Potter house..........

228agreenend Wed 01-Jun-16 17:51:45

Enjoy! Bon appetit!

WriteforFun1 Wed 01-Jun-16 17:52:50

Beatrice, can I come to yours? I don't have kids either but I find cooking so dull...I'll bring nice wine and wash up?

Op you should probably treat the kids to duck occasionally if they like it. I actually don't mind pasta bake.

oldlaundbooth Wed 01-Jun-16 17:56:40

grin squoosh

diddl Wed 01-Jun-16 18:05:13

YABU.

diddl Wed 01-Jun-16 18:05:38

Oops!

Missed the N out!grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now