Advanced search

To go back to privately renting from a HA property?

(37 Posts)
Cantsleepwontsleep123 Wed 01-Jun-16 09:40:59

To cut a long story short :
Privately renting for 10 years, 6 moves in that time, half our decision and the other 3 werw as landlord sold after firsy year.
Thought we had struck gold when we got offered a HA property on the new affordable rent scheme ( So rent is still £1000 a month for 3 bed but less that it would be in the private sector and renewable 5 year tenancies unless we breached anything )
However, numerous issues at my child's school since september.
He is in year 1 and did reception somwehere else so i really didnt want to move him however the school just arent dealing with the issue that he is being hurt at school frequently.
Neither of the inadvert bullying from the mother, spreading gossip around the playground due to her despising me for bringing the injurues to the schools attention and what not.
Thinking of just renting privately again in the area we were before, our family live more local that way too but the thought terrifies me of being made homeless.
We were lucky as each move we had before was covered by a redundancy payout my husband had recieved, but now thats all gone we woulf never have the deposit etc again.
My mother will pay for this one move for us but thats all she could afford.
What would you do? :-( Very upset mummy

HighwayDragon1 Wed 01-Jun-16 09:45:18

Can you home-ed or change schools?

AndNowItsSeven Wed 01-Jun-16 09:46:33

No it's a stupid idea, if you can't sort out the school issue send your ds to another school near where you live.

cestlavielife Wed 01-Jun-16 09:48:15

Change school
Apply for any in borough for yr 2 there may be places
Go to gp if he is anxious over the bullying to get back up if you need to appeal

cestlavielife Wed 01-Jun-16 09:50:16

Lea can tell you which school has places for yr 2.
You would be daft to give up secure rental when in few years he moves school anyway and you can move him now

seeyounearertime Wed 01-Jun-16 09:50:55

I wouldnt move house because the school are inept.
I'd either kick up a massive fuss and get the school to pull it's head out of it's backside, tkaing it to higher authorities if necessary, or I'd move schools TBH.

RubyGates Wed 01-Jun-16 09:52:18

Gawd no. Change school or home ed, but don't give up your housing security.

Arfarfanarf Wed 01-Jun-16 09:55:43

God no. A stable toof over your headis an even more basic need than a school

I would swap schools if possible, consider h.e. again if possible

There are swap websites where ha tenants can swap homes. You could see if you can do that.

I wouldnt put my whole family back into the hell that is private renting unless i absolutely had to.

Momamum Wed 01-Jun-16 10:00:25

Have you had your HA tenancy long enough to ask for a Mutual Exchange to another area? Worth asking your H.A.that, it might be the way to go.

I'd certainly be extremely reluctant to give up a H.A. Tenancy, with all the security of tenure and regulated rents these have.

I'd also be looking at other school options

Cantsleepwontsleep123 Wed 01-Jun-16 10:15:17

You cant exchange on these properties as they are under the " Affordable rent scheme " piloted by the government
I guess I just think maybe a new start would be best as he isnt keen to leave friends he has made so not sure he would settle in a new school locally but find the school dreadful.
They have caused more issues by repeating information to the other parent and so on.
Tired of fighting my way through instead of things just beind dealt with properly initally.
We have no tied here so feels easier to walk away - until i think back to how i felt waiting for thr renewal on the private rent tenancies.

99percentchocolate Wed 01-Jun-16 10:21:27

I'm privately renting and about to move because our landlord hinted he was about to give us notice. After a couple of months of waiting for it the anxiety was too much so we gave notice ourselves. Our house has had so many issues (no heating for two winters, leaks, broken appliances, and even a gas leak). No way would I give up a secure tenancy for private renting. The school needs to be held accountable for their inaction.

TheLastOneStanding Wed 01-Jun-16 10:21:45

Agree with others - put a rocket up the backside of the school to sort the problem out.

Write to the head outlining what has happened and what you want done about it. Ask for a written response. (email is fine for both). If you have no joy with the head write to the Governors.

Go over to the Primary Education topic if you want help.

You need to try and solve this where you are. You cannot just throw in your security without a fight.

If you do think moving schools is the only option then is there not one in the local area so you do not have to move house too?

StarryIllusion Wed 01-Jun-16 10:22:51

My friend used to send her son to school by taxi as he went to a school quite far away. She made a deal with the firm for a reduced rate as it was a daily commute. Would still be cheaper than moving house. I think you'd be mad to move. What happens if LL decides to sell a year into your lease? You wouldn't be able to afford to move again. It isn't worth the anxiety.

Cantsleepwontsleep123 Wed 01-Jun-16 10:30:44

I was hoping i could find an investment landlord
Such as shame as we had a lovely little house before this one, in an area we likes and we gave it all up " just in case " he sold
What a bad move we made ;-(
Believe me, have been fighting throughout this year
Governors etc are all aware
Nobody seems to actually give a shit though

AndNowItsSeven Wed 01-Jun-16 11:33:43

Changing schools in year one locally really isn't a big deal. Your ds will make new friends.

Cantsleepwontsleep123 Wed 01-Jun-16 11:46:34

We actually can't change places as there aren't any local schools with a place
We live in London so very populated - area we are thinking of moving to is essex so quite different in terms of places in schools and so on

AndNowItsSeven Wed 01-Jun-16 12:16:13

Ah I see didn't realise it was London, £1000 a month for a three bed house in London is a fab deal though.

Cantsleepwontsleep123 Wed 01-Jun-16 12:27:08

Yes it is.
Just a shame it's at the expense of happiness :-(

Dowser Wed 01-Jun-16 12:38:18

My Dil is thinking of doi g this because she doesn't like the neighbours.
It's so sad. The house is amazing.

cestlavielife Wed 01-Jun-16 12:45:04

if your ds is really suffering then you would have strong case to apply for a different school and appeal for them to go over numbers to let him in.
in london there is always movement in schools. but in any case you could have strong grounds to appeal.
my dd got a place in year in a oversubscribed school on appeal for medical-social reasons. what you do is you speak to ht first, if no good then call lea ask if any places, if they say none you apply to the school you want, once they respond in writing to say no places you have a window to appeal.

if he isnt suffering that badly (you say he has made friends) then work with the school.
the other family may move anyway...

Cantsleepwontsleep123 Wed 01-Jun-16 13:04:42

The house isn't amazing but we would have to go into a 2 bed but as the baby is only 1 not a massive deal

Cantsleepwontsleep123 Wed 01-Jun-16 17:07:12

Is private renting really bad in other peoples opinion

OliviaBenson Wed 01-Jun-16 17:25:46

Have you asked about this before op? It sounds familiar.

Don't do it, especially if there wouldn't be enough rooms for both of your children- they don't stay babies forever.

Just5minswithDacre Wed 01-Jun-16 17:28:33

It sounds similar to the woman who has spent a long time pondering HA in Surrey/London borders to private let on W Sussex coast Olivia. So different locations.

Just5minswithDacre Wed 01-Jun-16 17:29:26

How far up into Essex are you looking at OP?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now