AIBU to ask for help/reassurance

(5 Posts)
Pardonwhat Tue 31-May-16 17:59:09

Today I checked my credit file like I do at the end of every month (exciting, I know!).
Apparently I have a county court business judgement against my name that is still active and was heard this month. It is to an address I haven't lived at in a year.
It is for a tiny amount (less than £200) and whilst, as a single parent, I'd have had to scrape around for it I'd have still bloody paid it.
I don't have a fucking clue what it's for. Not a single clue.
All of my previous utility providers have my new address so I have no idea what it could be for! I'm easily findable at my new address via the electoral roll, utility companies, previous landlord etc..
I spent an hour in the queue to speak to someone and when 5pm came I got cut off and told to ring back tomorrow.
I'm worried sick.
Will I be able to appeal this on my credit file? If it does turn out that it is indeed money I owe then I will happily pay but on the basis I had absolutely no idea will they cancel the CCJ?
I've been working so hard to build my credit in the hope of working towards a mortgage sad
Sorry if this sounds trivial but I feel worried sick and need reassurance that there is hopefully a solution or I won't be sleeping tonight blush

myownprivateidaho Tue 31-May-16 18:00:33

I'd go to the local citizens advice bureau. They'll be able to help you.

Pardonwhat Tue 31-May-16 18:11:58

Thank you I'll look into that. I had no idea they could help with this kind of thing blush

missymayhemsmum Tue 31-May-16 22:08:39

You may be able to appeal it if you weren't at that address and therefore knew nothing about it and/or don't owe the money

guineapig1 Tue 31-May-16 22:15:15

If you did not receive the Court papers you can apply to court to have the judgment set aside. Unfortunately the application fee is about £200 if not more so it might be more cost-effective to pay...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now