Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to pull out from this nightmare camping trip?

(390 Posts)
SparkleSoiree Tue 31-May-16 15:56:56

So, camping is not, has never been and, now I can say, will never be my thing.

People love it, I get that. Kids and husbands I think mostly...I DONT GET IT.

We are booked to go camping with DH's cousin and his family in August. I'm more of a city break, lovely hotel person myself but DH and DD were really keen to go relive his scouting days and not wanting to be a party pooper I decided to throw myself in there too to show willing and that basically I can do anything I put my mind to. Turns out I'm more of a panderedto woman than superwoman!

We did a trial on the weekend in the garden with the new tent and kit DH bought. Seriously, it was like watching him unwrap his presents on christmas morning. His face was constantly smiling, sharing his joy with DD who loved it just as much. I offered some help occasionally but could not get into the spirit of it at all. He even put up little fairy lights around the rope thingies to add a little bit of glam for me biscuit .

It was a disaster for me, I got the total of 1hr 5 mins kip between 11pm and 8am, was in a seriously bad mood in the morning and did not see the fun side of it at all. Seven nights I've booked myself in for and if I had to spend 7 consecutive nights with minimal sleep I'd be driving myself home by the end of day 2! I cannot function without my sleep, I get really grumpy and moody and a desire to be on my own. I certainly couldn't think about a day trip out after spending 10 mins trying to get up off a bloody airbed and that's before I've even thought about getting dressed!

I'm considering options, one of which is not going at all and allowing DH to spend the week with his family and DD. Upside is that I would get a week to myself as my other DD is away abroad at the same time.

Another is to check into a hotel close by and swing in by each morning with some lovely breakfast items for them all and spend the day with them. Upside is there will be a lovely bathroom in the hotel, just for me, a cosy bed, a bar under cover and I won't have to make my bed in the morning because some lovely person will do it for me. More my idea of relaxation.

Other option is to borrow our friend's caravan (she has offered it in my hour of need!) and add a caravan pitch to our booking. That way we have a tent and a caravan. I could cope with a caravan - I think.

Out of those I think I prefer the first one, so AIBU to pull out and spend a week on my own doing my own thing and forgetting I'm a 44yr old mum of 3, wife to 1 and taxi driver to all?

TooTiredToBeCreative Tue 31-May-16 16:00:28

I love camping but given the option to spend a week by myself while DH had fun with the kids- I'd take it!

Wolfiefan Tue 31-May-16 16:02:04

Why didn't you sleep? Can you solve that problem? No sleep is shit. You will be miserable if you don't sleep!

molyholy Tue 31-May-16 16:02:57

Don't go. It sounds like you would probably ruin it for the people who are excited about camping. It sounds like you have made up your mind that you are going to hate it, so why bother?

StillStayingClassySanDiego Tue 31-May-16 16:03:01

I've never camped in my life and have no intention of ever setting foot inside a tent, I'm 48, have I been a bad Mother to my 3 ds's? grin

I'd go for the hotel option, it's a no brainer.

PPie10 Tue 31-May-16 16:04:14

I wouldn't go camping even if you paid me to. Sounds dreadful. I like the hotel option though.

dowhatnow Tue 31-May-16 16:04:28

What does DH and DD think to your options? Will they be really disappointed if you are not there for some of the time?

Personally I love camping. The first night you never sleep that well but after that the fresh air knocks you out and you sleep really well as long as you are warm enough

Do whatever suits you best personally and as a family.

Radiatorvalves Tue 31-May-16 16:10:28

I don't really do camping (despite military background which put me right off), however, this year I am going on a weekend camping trip with Year 6 kids and friends...which (weather depending) should be fun.

We are also going to probably camp en route to the south of france. I rang up 2 hotels, and was quoted €500 for 2 nights for 4 of us...and so camping it is. If anyone has recommendations for a camp site in Burgundy please do say....

I am probably stupid, but think I will probably survive (and can sleep in the car) and means we have more to spend on nice food and wine.

PickledLilly Tue 31-May-16 16:10:40

I feel your pain, DP is an enthusiastic camper, I hate it. No amount of him persevering and buying ever more expensive kit has managed to persuade me it isn't shit. I never sleep either. In your shoes I'd be merrily waving them off and then running around the empty house like the kid in home alone. If you can pull it off I'll be very jealous, it never works for me, he sulks!

BertrandRussell Tue 31-May-16 16:11:03

Why couldn't you sleep? A comfortable bed is an absolute essential- what were you sleeping on?

I think staying at home is fine- maybe do a couple of day trips to visit? The hotel sounds a bit princessy. The caravan is a good option too.

I hate to make it into a feminist issue, but you will make sure you don't let your dd get the idea it's because you're a woman or a mother that you don't want to rough it a bit won't you?

getyourfingeroutyournose Tue 31-May-16 16:12:26

It does sound like you would probably end up pooping on your family's party if you went but I have a feeling your hubby and daughter might want you there.

Your DH put fairy lights up around the tent to make it seem more attractive for you! Bless that man he is trying!

If you do choose not to go make sure both your DH and DD are completely aware it's not because you don't want to spend time with them it's because camping is definitely not your thing and you would be so miserable and grumpy with lack of sleep you feel you would ruin it for them.
You could try another night or so in the tent/caravan to make sure it wasn't a one off but personally I would like the idea of a hotel room to myself. Perhaps your air bed was a rubbish one? I doubt your DH would be against the idea of buying another air bed for an even better experience. Ours ends up deflated within an hour and it's painful to even try and sleep on. I wouldn't go camping again until we have a new one that doesn't deflate whilst we sleep.

MatildaTheCat Tue 31-May-16 16:14:40

Join them for three nights doing the hotel or caravan option and then scoot home for a real holiday. Unless this is all taking place in a fabulous location in which case stay the whole time.

Savagebeauty Tue 31-May-16 16:14:57

I don't camp. Not a chance.
The hotel option sounds perfect.

purplebud Tue 31-May-16 16:15:27

Discuss it with your DH. The hotel idea sounds really nice.

ChicRock Tue 31-May-16 16:21:20

What do your DH and DD think of the options you've outlined?

Personally I think not going at all would be preferable to staying in a hotel and swanning in to the campsite every morning with breakfast, I think doing that, you'll just seem really 'special snowflake' as they say on here grin.

Just enjoy a week at home and let your DH and DD enjoy the time with his family without you pissing on their campfire.

SideOrderofChip Tue 31-May-16 16:21:46

Don't go. you will ruin it for the others

DeliveredByKiki Tue 31-May-16 16:21:54

Check DH and DD wouldn't be very disappointed by you not being there and then stay home.

I did my first camping trip not including Glastonbury when I had enough illegals in my system to knock me out last summer with another family. Honestly I was expecting to hate it and it was a lot of fun BUT it's not comfortable sleeping in a tent and after 4 nights I was done. We're doing it again this summer - this time 5 nights but offsetting it by staying in a luxury hotel on the way back!

7 nights is a loooooooong time if you already don't really want to go. Is there the option you stay home and join them (armed with goodies) for the final two nights?

I wouldn't do the hotel, you'll feel kind of left out and they might feel resentful and I think I'd personally really enjoy some alone time in my own home

Sparklingbrook Tue 31-May-16 16:31:27

I wouldn't want to go either I wouldn't sleep and the toilet arrangements would bother me, I am really not cut out for camping. I would stay at home and book a hotel for the end of the week maybe.

Janecc Tue 31-May-16 16:31:30

Do the hotel. Who cares about them feeling you'd be left out as it you're grumpy all week you Won't be a pleasure to be around. I wouldn't go camping. Loathe it - same reasons as you, no sleep, cold and miserable.

BeckyMcDonald Tue 31-May-16 16:35:33

YANBU. There is not one thing I like about camping. It's cold. It all smells slightly musty. There's no TV. The food is dire. I never feel properly clean. I am absolutely never going again and if that means I can't ever go on holiday again due to not being able to afford anything more luxurious, then so be it.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Tue 31-May-16 16:36:03

You either love it or loathe it. I'm with you. It's cold, damp, uncomfortable and there's no bath. sad

The fairy lights were a sweet idea.

oldlaundbooth Tue 31-May-16 16:37:15

'I'm considering options, one of which is not going at all and allowing DH to spend the week with his family and DD. Upside is that I would get a week to myself as my other DD is away abroad at the same time.'

Bada bing baby!

RhiWrites Tue 31-May-16 16:38:02

I think you need to sort out the sleep? We're you on a crappy air bed? They suck. You want one of these: www.futondesign.co.uk/roll-up-mattresses/zipit-roll-up-futon-mattress-detail

Sallycinnamum Tue 31-May-16 16:38:09

I camped in one of those wooden pod thingies last summer.

DCS lover it, I hated every second of it. The cold, the damp, having to get dressed just to for a pee in the night. God only knows how I'd cope in a tent.

This year DH is taking them on his own. I'd rather have root canal treatment than camp, it's that bad.

SirChenjin Tue 31-May-16 16:38:41

Sleeping tablets and wine <- your answer

If they really want you to go and you really want to do this for them. Otherwise book into a hotel nearby and meet them during the day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now