Talk

Advanced search

to think we can afford to have a baby on our income?

(212 Posts)
LeilaBell Mon 30-May-16 10:50:42

DH and I have been talking about starting a family for some time. We both want to start a family, but we disagree on the timing.

DH says we possibly couldn't afford to have children in London on our current income, so we should wait until our salaries hopefully go up in a few years.We both feel ready for a baby but DH thinks our income in London is not enough to start a family, while I think we would be just fine.

Our household income (two earners) is nearly £70k a year, we have no mortgage/ rent (inherited a two bedroom property) and no debt. On top of that we aren't big spenders, so we have a good amount of savings for maternity leave/ emergencies.

I think that given our income we can afford at least a baby (if not two!). Perhaps I think so just because I am naive and I don't realize how expensive babies/ children are?

AIBU to think we can afford a baby already? Are children so much expensive than I think? Is having children in London only for the millionaires nowadays?

DaveCamoron Mon 30-May-16 10:51:36

Are you joking?

MyBreadIsEggy Mon 30-May-16 10:52:55

Please tell me you are having laugh....
DH and I have one 13 month old DD and another baby on the way. We manage on £26k hmm

OohMavis Mon 30-May-16 10:52:59

hmm

Bearbehind Mon 30-May-16 10:53:03

Is having children in London only for the millionaires nowadays?

Yes - not a single person who earns under a million has children in London? hmm

Is this a stealth boast or a daily mail reporter?

TheHiphopopotamus Mon 30-May-16 10:53:34

Sounds to me like your DH just doesn't want a baby. A lot of people have kids on a lot less money than that.

Cerseirys Mon 30-May-16 10:53:53

Has to be a stealth boast, surely? It fact I'm not sure it's particularly stealthy!

OohMavis Mon 30-May-16 10:54:09

Is having children in London only for the millionaires nowadays?

Yes. Every newborn baby you see in London has millionaires for parents.

CoffeeCoffeeAndLotsOfIt Mon 30-May-16 10:55:45

Millions of people raise children on a fraction of your income.

Is this post serious??

whois Mon 30-May-16 10:56:00

You have a free 2 bed flat and are asking if you can afford to have a baby? Yeah.... You can.

Although you should try to save a 'rent' portion to try and move up into something bigger if you want 2 children.

meowli Mon 30-May-16 10:56:02

If you wait until you think you can 'afford' to have children, you'll never have children.

silverpenny Mon 30-May-16 10:56:09

Is this a wind up or daily mail fodder?

stiffstink Mon 30-May-16 10:56:17

Can I just check you are talking about human babies and not babies made of diamonds?

BarryTheKestrel Mon 30-May-16 10:56:37

You must be joking!
Granted I don't live in London but it's only really housing that costs more in London.
We happily manage on £24K a year and we rent!
If you believe you can't afford a baby on £70K a year you never will.

whois Mon 30-May-16 10:56:46

Who inherited the flat - you or him?

Bearbehind Mon 30-May-16 10:57:15

It's actually incredibly offensive to post on a parenting forum wondering if you can afford a child when you earn £70k and have no housing costs- you need to take a look around you OP and get a grip.

TwentyCupsOfTea Mon 30-May-16 10:57:53

Your husband doesn't soubd like he wants a baby.

OohMavis Mon 30-May-16 10:59:05

stiffstink grin

formerbabe Mon 30-May-16 10:59:42

London is primarily expensive for families and everyone else because of the cost of housing. If you are mortgage/rent free then I can't see why being in London is prohibitive.

DuckAndPancakes Mon 30-May-16 11:00:35

A baby human?.....

MrsBungle Mon 30-May-16 11:00:55

No rent/mortgage and £70k a year? No, you definitely can't afford a baby confused

CoolforKittyCats Mon 30-May-16 11:01:37

I think you are having a stealth bost about what you have

CrazyDuchess Mon 30-May-16 11:02:19

Nope - totally not enough money... I'd put off reproducing until you are a millionaire living in London hmm

SansaryaAgain Mon 30-May-16 11:02:51

DP and I live in London with one DS and manage on about that. We pay rent on a two-bed flat in a nice area and DS goes to nursery. So if we can do it, so can you. However I suspect the real problem here is that your DH doesn't want a child, so if this isn't some weird stealth boast then that is what you have to worry about, not the cost of living.

yorkshapudding Mon 30-May-16 11:03:05

Ooh this should be good

(puts feet up, grabs popcorn)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now