Is this wrong? WWYD?

(101 Posts)
TeacherKS1 Sun 29-May-16 21:08:44

I have a spare mattress to get rid of. It's in great condition as it was used on the spare bed. It was expensive, around £300 a few years ago. However, the cover is a bit stained. I've cleaned it with a steam cleaner but it's discoloured.

I'd rather it didn't go into landfill so advertised it locally for free. I put a photo on and described it as I have done here. I've had a few responses, just waiting for them to get back re collection.

I've just had a message from someone telling me it's disgusting.

I feel awful. I was trying to avoid taking it to the tip, and am aware that there are people in need of home furnishings etc who don't necessarily have the means to buy anything new.

Have I done the wrong thing? Was genuinely trying to help.

And does anyone know of anywhere I could take it instead of the tip?
I will take it to the tip if that's the general consensus.

TheFloorIsLava Sun 29-May-16 21:13:03

No! Whoever messaged you is a cunt! Your offering it for free?! Nobody is being forced to take it!

TheFloorIsLava Sun 29-May-16 21:14:24

Tbh I would wait a couple of days if you can and see if anyone is interested! Not sure what else to suggest, can you recycle mattresses?

MummyBex1985 Sun 29-May-16 21:14:38

Personally I always throw mattresses away. It's a bit unhygienic.

Nice intentions on your part though so no criticism smile I guess you could try and donate it? There's a charity near us that operates a shelter and donate furniture to families with no money so somewhere like that may want it.

NeedMoreSleepOrSugar Sun 29-May-16 21:14:54

Ignore the message - I'm sure someone will be very glad of it!

Greenyogagirl Sun 29-May-16 21:15:10

I've had a few second hand mattresses, they're bloody expensive new and someone will be grateful for it.
My son wet the bed a lot and his mattress was heavily stained so had to go but slightly discoloured and barely used, no problem!

TeacherKS1 Sun 29-May-16 21:15:13

I'm offering it for free. I feel quite upset about the message actually! It just seems unnecessary.

nilbyname Sun 29-May-16 21:15:43

You're doing the right thing and there will be plenty of people out there who will want and appreciate this item.
Pop a Matress protector on top, new bedding. Lovely job! People are altogether too fussy!

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Sun 29-May-16 21:15:43

Dogs homes/kennels sometimes take mattresses

You did the right thing op

RJnomore1 Sun 29-May-16 21:15:53

Hope that persons never spent a night in a hotel op.

Devilishpyjamas Sun 29-May-16 21:16:26

Ignore the clean freak. Does she take her own mattress to hotels?

Itsaplayonwords Sun 29-May-16 21:16:42

People are idiots.

There are definitely people in need and I'm sure someone will be very grateful. It will cost a lot less to get a mattress protector/topper than it will a brand new mattress if the eventual recipient has a problem with the stain. Or someone could presently be sleeping on the bare floor and would be falling over themselves for your stained but decent mattress.

Ignore the message. You're doing a nice thing.

TeacherKS1 Sun 29-May-16 21:16:44

Thank you, I feel a bit better now!

MrsBobDylan Sun 29-May-16 21:18:46

Keep going op, ignore the bloody idiot! For a very long time my financial position meant I couldn't afford big ticket items like mattresses. My DS bed was bought complete with a mattress for £19 off eBay. It's lovely quality, had light use and he loves it.

Dh and I slept on a mattress with springs poking through for the longest time... your mattress would have been souch nicer!

OrlandaFuriosa Sun 29-May-16 21:19:16

It's illegal to sell used ones, but good for you. If it were Christmas time I'd say ring crisis, they always need them, plus pillows and blankets. Is there a homeless shelter or women's aid place near you?

sunnyoutside Sun 29-May-16 21:21:36

Me and my dc slept on bare floor in our new house and all our mattresses are second hand. I am eternally grateful that we were donated them.

Depending on the ages of your dc you could ask your health visitor/school if they know of anyone who needs it. My hv was fab and managed to help me out with all sorts when we had nothing.

TeacherKS1 Sun 29-May-16 21:21:49

Orlanda I'm not selling it, I'm giving it away.

silverpenny Sun 29-May-16 21:21:59

Whats the hate for second hand mattresses? I bought a mattress from a charity furniture place which was almost new and worth over £500. I was struggling and couldn't afford new stuff for a rented place.

Pineau Sun 29-May-16 21:22:05

Ignore the idiot, I had the same once, someone will be grateful.

honeysucklejasmine Sun 29-May-16 21:22:17

We donated some to the British Heart Foundation. They just had the have the label about fire risk etc on them for them to take it.

Crispbutty Sun 29-May-16 21:24:14

I would be absolutely delighted to have a decent second hand mattress as ours is falling to bits and we cant afford a new one.. I dont suppose its a kingsize and in devon.. ((hopeful)

Celticlassie Sun 29-May-16 21:25:35

Why go to the effort to type out a message just saying that it's disgusting? What an arse. I think you're doing a lovely thing, OP, and a lot of people will appreciate it.

AgentProvocateur Sun 29-May-16 21:26:45

Some people are just arseholes. Ignore.

Orlanda, what law prevents the sale of used mattresses?

TeacherKS1 Sun 29-May-16 21:28:11

Ah, sorry Crisp I'm not in Devon. And it's a double.

Thank you Celtic, that's a really nice thing to say. Yes, she is an arse.

Greenyogagirl Sun 29-May-16 21:28:51

Lots of people sell used mattresses on fb selling sites/eBay etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now