To think what this man said was unneccessary

(12 Posts)
Buttons23 Sun 29-May-16 18:58:53

I was at a local playground today with my ds. We were over by the swings when a young child around 3/4 ran quickly in front a boy swinging and predictably he got hit and fell down. The mother quickly rushed over, she was quite near him and just comforted her son.

However the man of the boy swinging gave her such a awful look and told her she should have been watching her son in a really rude way. I just felt it was so unnecessary, it was an accident. She later told me she only took her eyes of her son for a second. To be fair her son did run in front of the swing very quickly and he was fine after a quick cuddle. I could understand if the mother said something to the swinging boy but she just went and picked her son up.

Surely accidents like that happen in a playground. Goodness knows i consider myself to be watchful of my son but I certainly don't blame myself every time he gets a bruise at the playground. These things happen.

So AIBU?

RubyRubySoho Sun 29-May-16 19:01:45

My son had been told repeatedly to stop running so close to the swings, he only learned his leason when an older girl ended up kicking him full force on the chin when he ran in front of her.

These things happen- its no-ones fault and the parent didn't blame the boy in the swing so it seems this man was being a bit of a tit.

Kungfupandaworksout16 Sun 29-May-16 19:03:48

Maybe it was his defense. He might of been expecting the mother to start kicking off (ive seen this happen) so he has got in there first!

Buttons23 Sun 29-May-16 19:09:22

That's what my partner said when I got home and told him, that perhaps he was being too quick to be defensive. However the mother did pick her son up and was turning away to walk away from the swings so there was no inclination she was about to kick off.

Egosumquisum Sun 29-May-16 19:12:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Buggers Sun 29-May-16 19:13:18

That is weird, maybe he was worried the little boy got hurt so was angry with mum for not watching him more closely? Very odd, I think kids need to learn their own life lessons on things like this - they never believe you when you try to warn them grin

Tanith Sun 29-May-16 19:21:45

I imagine the boy on the swing was upset at having hurt the younger child through no fault of his own. Perhaps his dad was emphasising to him that he was not to blame.

ilovesooty Sun 29-May-16 19:35:57

He was possibly shocked by the event and a bit shaken up or imagining it could have been worse. He might not have meant to be hostile or critical.

WorraLiberty Sun 29-May-16 19:37:01

It was probably just shock.

Have you never blurted something out in shock before?

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Sun 29-May-16 19:43:32

Poor child on the swing!

leelu66 Sun 29-May-16 19:49:57

I would have said something to him, e.g. that's a bit harsh, it happens to us all.

I think either I'm too confrontational or others are not confrontational enough? confused

Buttons23 Sun 29-May-16 20:02:33

The guy was on his phone that is what got me. So his son could have easily hurt himself on something while his father was on the phone for all he knows so to judge a mother for something that did happen in a split second did seem harsh to me. We have all been there.

Perhaps as some have said it was just shock.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now