Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant and still going to florida?

(15 Posts)
NK7995a1caX11eb0ed0bae Sun 29-May-16 13:04:53

I'm absolutely stuck with what to do. My DP is deployed at the moment, he's been away for months and still has several to go before he's home. We have a DD who is 2.5 and adores her daddy, she's missing him terribly. Well, we're all missing each other.

We have the opportunity to meet him for 2 weeks R&R in Florida, we're due to fly out in a couple of weeks. Everything is booked and we're all excited, apart from my very big worry about Zika. I know it's not being transmitted in Florida at the moment, I also know that as a state they're very good about mosquito control. And yet the experts are still saying it's a case of when, not if the virus spreads to the southern most states.

What do I do? If this was 'just' a holiday then I'd probably cancel out of caution. My DP is adamant it's scaremongering and nothing to worry about. My MiL is adamant we absolutely should not go. At the moment I still want to go armed with plenty of repellent but I'm wavering. Am I being unreasonable to be 21 weeks pregnant and still planning to go?

NK7995a1caX11eb0ed0bae Sun 29-May-16 13:06:01

I'm absolutely stuck with what to do. My DP is deployed at the moment, he's been away for months and still has several to go before he's home. We have a DD who is 2.5 and adores her daddy, she's missing him terribly. Well, we're all missing each other.

We have the opportunity to meet him for 2 weeks R&R in Florida, we're due to fly out in a couple of weeks. Everything is booked and we're all excited, apart from my very big worry about Zika. I know it's not being transmitted in Florida at the moment, I also know that as a state they're very good about mosquito control. And yet the experts are still saying it's a case of when, not if the virus spreads to the southern most states.

What do I do? If this was 'just' a holiday then I'd probably cancel out of caution. My DP is adamant it's scaremongering and nothing to worry about. My MiL is adamant we absolutely should not go. At the moment I still want to go armed with plenty of repellent but I'm wavering. Am I being unreasonable to be 21 weeks pregnant and still planning to go?

NK7995a1caX11eb0ed0bae Sun 29-May-16 13:25:47

Oops, don't know how that happened! Sorry for the double post.

jellybelly85 Sun 29-May-16 13:37:59

As there are currently no cases of people being infected by Zika- infected mosquitoes in Florida, I would suggest the risk is minimal currently and would go.

It sounds like you've already looked into sensible precautions out there to reduce the chance of being bitten by mosquitoes - which is great.

The benefit to your family to spend some quality time together, IMO, would outweigh the low current risk of Zika- infection.

Perhaps look into taking out travel insurance which can support you to change travel plans in the event that things change? But other than that, have a great holiday!

boatgirl81 Sun 29-May-16 14:12:07

Reading up on it, it seems that it is in the 1st trimester that would cause the damage if you were infected.

With it also not being in Florida yet I think I would take the risk as it was booked but totally understand your worry and it is not a decision to make lightly.

eurochick Sun 29-May-16 14:30:53

Can't he head further north in the US for R&R?

NeedACleverNN Sun 29-May-16 14:36:48

I would go. Make sure I use plenty of mosquito repellent and enjoy myself

Marymaymay Sun 29-May-16 14:49:52

There is a good thread here where people weigh up the pros and cons

Zika Thread

Marymaymay Sun 29-May-16 14:50:31

Latest info says weeks 14-20 are most dangerous but any time is considered risky if in an area with Zika.

OldFarticus Sun 29-May-16 14:57:16

11 plus 4 and got back from Florida at the weekend. I was also seriously worried, but I think my concern was needless.

I wore mosquito bands and used DEET and slept under a mossie net (even though in a fancypants hotel with maxed-out A/C!) I still got bitten twice, on the face, but as a PP said there are currently NO Zika cases in Florida so I would have to be really damn unlucky. Also I was bitten on the one night when we went to a restaurant next to a lake - which was stupid and totally avoidable.

I would go but be sensible - stay away from water, don't wear scent, keep covered and hit them with everything. You are more than likely to be safe unless something changes radically in the next fortnight.

Littlefluffyclouds81 Sun 29-May-16 14:57:36

I'm in Florida at the moment. I've been here 4 days and haven't been bitten by a single mosquito, which suggests they have done a good job of controlling them. Mosquitos LOVE me, I normally get eaten alive by them within minutes of going anywhere tropical. We went on an airboat ride and I'd bought some mosquito repellent as I thought the Everglades would be prime mosquito territory, but the guide saw me about to put it on and said 'you won't need bug spray'. Now I know why - there aren't any.

The heat on the other hand...I'm struggling with that not being pregnant, I don't know how I'd cope if I was.

Frazzled2207 Sun 29-May-16 15:05:54

Assuming still no cases in florida when you leave, I'd still go

NK7995a1caX11eb0ed0bae Sun 29-May-16 18:38:58

Thank you all, I knew I'd find some collective wisdom here!

OldFarticus and Littlefluffyclouds81 - great to hear your experiences there, thank you. It's very reassuring. What mosquito bands did you use? I've already got the deet 50 repellent. Is that ok or should it be the 100? Yes, I am definitely concerned about melting into a puddle too!

Marymaymay - thank you for the link. I'd read it already but with this new information I'll give it some fresh eyes. Very interesting about 14-20 weeks. That's a nice bit of reassurance.

eurochick - no, unfortunately we can't go anywhere else for reasons I can't really explain on here. I'm sorry to be so purposefully vague! I tried to convince him to fly home but that's no go either. It's florida or nothing.

Thank you all again, I'm leaning more towards going whereas this morning I was all set to cancel. I'm not sure I'll completely relax while I'm there (or afterwards) but judging by your experiences I should be able to be relatively safe.

OldFarticus Tue 31-May-16 13:20:38

Very happy that you are still going! I honestly think once you arrive you will forget all about it. I have been in parts of Italy that seem more mossie infested iykwim? As in, you can see and hear them. Not in Florida - although goodness knows what pest control they are using...!

These are the mossie bands I use: www.amazon.co.uk/Mosi-Band-Deet-Insect-Repellent-Bands/dp/B000YH3S94 (Sorry, can't do clicky link). They are wide enough to go around ankles if you don't mind looking a bit of a twit.

I would also say be prpeared for the heat! My morning sickness seems to get worse in arrid conditions so I found myself heaving a lot whilst out and about. Take lots of cold drinks everywhere if you are suffering. Most of all have fun!

FuzzyOwl Tue 31-May-16 13:29:35

I would go as well.

I know that Zika is expected to arrive in the southern states but it hasn't yet. Ways to limit contact are: to avoid any lakes/stagnant water, use all the mosquito protection you can and try to stay indoors as much as possible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now