Talk

Advanced search

to ask if its worth ever buying scratchcards?

(52 Posts)
brandy17 Sun 29-May-16 12:59:25

I know any form of gambling is a mugs game,but I have stopped buying lottery tickets and now and again buy a scratchcard
I have literally never won even a tiny amount
Does anyone know someone who has won any kind of significant amount on these , or is it never worth buying a scratchcard?

Katedotness1963 Sun 29-May-16 13:01:13

A woman in my town won £500,000 on a scratch card.

Sparklingbrook Sun 29-May-16 13:02:09

Locally a bus driver bought a scratch card from the bus station newsagents a few weeks ago and won £250,000. I have never bought one but it shows its possible.

Fluffyears Sun 29-May-16 13:02:41

I won £70 once.

knittedslippersx2 Sun 29-May-16 13:03:46

I win a fiver on Friday!

Scoopmuckdizzy Sun 29-May-16 13:04:09

A friend won £2000 a few years ago.

maggiethemagpie Sun 29-May-16 13:05:19

What a strange question - of course no one can say whether or not it will be worth it to buy them, because no one can know whether or not you'll win.

You're paying for a chance - if you're happy to spend money on that, fine, but its impossible to say in advance whether or not it will be worth it.

silverpenny Sun 29-May-16 13:05:33

Mugs game. Odds are frightening and you see people buying a load scratching them in the shop and buying again.

Tuiles Sun 29-May-16 13:06:28

I had one once, one with three different games on, and won on all of them! The total was only about £25 but it totally made my day grin

BadLad Sun 29-May-16 13:06:29

In terms of investment, it's not worth buying them, as the odds are massively stacked that you won't get your money back.

I would be astounded if it was dishonestly fixed though, with the amount of media scrutiny of the lottery and the scandal that would ensue if it were bullshit.

I like playing the lottery when I'm in England - I see it as giving money to good causes without giving away my personal details, so nobody phones asking me up my donation etc. I don't buy scratch cards, though - too easy to buy more in the hope that you'll win back your losses.

YouMakeMyDreams Sun 29-May-16 13:07:22

I've wine the odd £20, £40 and £100 twice. I don't but them very often I've just been lucky. More often than not when i do but one i win my £1 or £2 back.
Some people spend and absolute fortune on them. There was a sign in a local shop once about someone bought one their and won thousands so it does happen.

Longdistance Sun 29-May-16 13:14:57

My dad won £100 the other week. He does a few scratch cards a week as a hobby and add on to his lottery tickets.

NeedACleverNN Sun 29-May-16 13:18:30

A scratch card called my name once. It was £2. I only had £1 so I bought a £1 one. Won £2 so I bought the £2 that was really catching my eye. I ended up winning £40 grin

MyNewBearTotoro Sun 29-May-16 13:19:38

They're not a scam but the odds are such that the likelihood of winning anything significant is very low.

They have to make money so presumably for every £100,000 prize they have to sell over £100,000 worth of losing scratch cards. The chance of ever winning anything life-changing is low, but those top prizes do exist and somebody has to win them.

I never buy them now although used to occasionally when I was younger - most I ever won was my £1/£2 back.

Sunnsoo Sun 29-May-16 13:21:34

I buy them as small birthday gifts for people, but never for myself.

MirriVan Sun 29-May-16 13:23:58

This is one of the daftest questions I've ever seen on here.

silverpenny Sun 29-May-16 13:24:23

How are scratch cards a hobby?confused

WeirdAndPissedOff Sun 29-May-16 13:27:29

The odds will always be against you, but people do win sometimes - I have two relatives who have won £1000 each.
Don't think I've ever won more than £5.

nanetterose Sun 29-May-16 13:28:11

silver l imagine you can keep all the cards that didn't win.
A bit like carrier bag collections in the 70 's.

acasualobserver Sun 29-May-16 13:28:52

Tax on the poor.

PinkParsnips Sun 29-May-16 13:30:24

DH wins nearly every time he buys one (which is one a week or so) he's won 50-100 a fair few times. He doesn't buy them as much now but he's won far more than we ever won doing the lottery every week.

Somerville Sun 29-May-16 13:37:09

Does anyone know someone who has won any kind of significant amount on these
Of course some people will have heard of someone who has. But that has nothing to do with whether it's worth buying them or not.

Your own experience, of never even winning a small amount, is much more typical.

Last I checked, the expected return from a scratch card is 60p from every pound put in. So you lose 40 pence on average, for every card you buy (assuming a 1 pound card). Which to some people is worth it for the fun/thrill/pleasure of the scratch. Not for me though - no interest.

Somerville Sun 29-May-16 13:42:25

I believe the scratch card expected return rate is higher than the regular national lottery rate, which is 40-50%. And then because this is skewed towards big payouts, when some statisticians played 10,000 times they only made a return of 30%.
All this a bit hazy as I read it some time ago. But I remember concluding that scratch cards had a bit higher expected return, both in probability terms and in real terms.

HopelesslydevotedtoGu Sun 29-May-16 13:54:08

A man with a shaky grasp of statistics encouraged me to buy a scratchcard, saying "the great thing is that you win more than you spend on them". Obviously not!

I don't understand your question OP, obviously some people will win significant amounts of money on them, but most will lose small amounts. Up to you whether you think the gamble is worthwhile.

HopelesslydevotedtoGu Sun 29-May-16 13:56:31

My dad won £100 the other week. He does a few scratch cards a week as a hobby and add on to his lottery tickets.

So if he spends two pounds on scratchcards a week he needs to win £104 a year to break even. So not that exciting a win.

How can scratchcards be a hobby?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now