Talk

Advanced search

To be really bad at dealing with questions

(7 Posts)
sheepmidwife Sat 28-May-16 14:51:15

I know Mumsnet is really good at this.

Working with a couple of people at the moment who quiz in a way that FEELS a bit grilling and personal and uncomfortable really - although I don't think it's meant that way.

'Have you not got a husband?'
'Why do you not work?'

The way they are phrased feels critical.

How can you indicate questions are not welcome without being, well, rude I suppose?

QuiteLikely5 Sat 28-May-16 14:55:48

You could just smile and say nothing, who is asking you?

'Why do you ask' is a good phrase to use

Fluffyseagull Sat 28-May-16 16:34:29

Ask back and pick out their supposed flaws so what if you havent got a husband confused

BackforGood Sat 28-May-16 16:46:27

Why are they asking 'Why do you not work', if they are people you are working with ? confused

I don't think 'Have you got a husband' is a negative / critical thing. When getting to know someone new I might asked if they were married / in a relationship at the moment / if they had dc etc. - it's about getting to know the person. I don't feel either yes or no is more positive or negative an answer to give, it's just sharing a bit of info about your life.

If you don't want to chat, then say so, but it seems an unfriendly way to go through life to me.

Sallygoroundthemoon Sat 28-May-16 17:35:42

Have you got a husband is a very different question to have you not got a husband. I think the why do you ask response is a good one.

JessieMcJessie Sat 28-May-16 17:52:11

Why are people with whom you are working asking why you don't work? Are you volunteering with them?

emmalimesmom Sat 28-May-16 18:04:07

have you not got a husband?
no i'd sooner want something i dont have than have something i dont want
you nosey fucker

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now