Talk

Advanced search

To ask about this (because I know we all love a person hygiene question!)

(125 Posts)
Wetbankhols Sat 28-May-16 13:31:02

Lately, I can't always be arsed showering and don't notice any particular difference in how I smell.

HOWEVER, when I shower regularly, I seem to notice I get a bit more inclined to need to keep up the routine, if that makes sense.

Do you think showering more can actually cause you to sweat/smell more?

PPie10 Sat 28-May-16 13:32:48

So how often do you shower confused

AgeOfEarthquakes Sat 28-May-16 13:34:43

No.

I think that if you don't shower very often you stop smelling yourself after a while. Whereas if you shower regularly you get used to smelling clean and so notice more quickly when you start to get smelly.

flirtygirl Sat 28-May-16 13:36:14

Totally agree with age of earthquakes.
You simply become noseblind.

Wetbankhols Sat 28-May-16 13:36:52

It depends PPie. Generally every day but lately, not so much.

Age I do smell myself grin and also I know DH would inform me if I needed freshening up.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sat 28-May-16 13:37:10

No you just go nose blind at your own smell when you're not showering.

Not being bothered to wash is a big depression indicator, although obviously no one can diagnose over the Internet and it's perfectly possible to not shower and not be depressed. Worth mentioning incase you've got other symptoms, though.

ClopySow Sat 28-May-16 13:38:20

I'm with you op.

After i shower, if i forget to put on deoderant, i get stinky oxters pretty quickly.

I don't if i haven't showered.

DrowningInWallStickers Sat 28-May-16 13:38:37

I bath every two days (Dc do too) because we can't afford to pay for the gas to heat up the water three times in one day. When the dc are away for a week I bath daily and notice that my hair gets greesier faster if I do. Literally over night it can become greesy.

However I think leaving it anymore than going 2 days without a bath is rank. You might not notice you stink but other people sure will. I would bath daily if possible, there's times when I really hate not being able to bath daily.

Pico2 Sat 28-May-16 13:38:39

If you spray perfume on yourself you can initially smell it strongly. After about 5 mins you stop smelling it. That isn't because it has stopped smelling (though the strength will have diminished a bit) but because you get used to the smell. Same with body odour, only it builds up gradually, so you don't have the initial strong hit.

Arfarfanarf Sat 28-May-16 13:39:34

I think you just don't notice the smell.

I think unless you have a physical job or exercise a lot you could probably get away with not showering every day as long as you 'top and tailed' so to speak, but certainly it doesn't feel as clean, even if you don't actually honk.

Wetbankhols Sat 28-May-16 13:40:12

Clopy, that's exactly what I've been finding - I wonder why though?

DrowningInWallStickers Sat 28-May-16 13:40:47

Might also be worth mentioning that I don't think most people get greasy and smelly over night, unsure why I do. Not overweight or excessive excercising etc so could just be the way my body works. I really think it depends on the individual

Wolfiefan Sat 28-May-16 13:44:38

Shower,bath or proper strip wash every day. Anything else is just grotty.
You do stink if you don't wash. You just get used to it and don't notice.

Wetbankhols Sat 28-May-16 13:47:20

DH must have been getting used to it as well, then!

Birdsgottafly Sat 28-May-16 13:50:43

""also I know DH would inform me if I needed freshening up.""

I agree with "going nose blind".

Part of being really attracted to someone, is liking their smell/taste, we also like this more as we fall more in 'love'. So your Partner wouldn't notice, if you smell bad enough to need a wash, to others.

It's like "other people's children smell bad and need disciplining".

In the same way that you can't smell your own house, except when you've been on holiday.

I have always wondered about anti-perspirants. When I was younger (I'm 48), there were very few male anti-persperants and the men I knew, used to get sink washes, a couple of times a day, with 'proper' soap and didn't smell.
But the men who worked manually tended to wear Cotton shirts and they were washed at high temperatures.

It's a myth that people never used to wash.

I think people should wash daily and if you choose to use (or not) chemicals, then that bit is your business.

ClopySow Sat 28-May-16 13:52:49

Dunno. It's a mystery to me.

I shower every second day. I don't stink in between. Unless i'm premenstrual, then no amount of showering would keep my oxters fresh.

Do you get that? Hormonal cats piss oxters? Or actually just one oxter? Or sometimes hormonal burger/onion oxter?

Wetbankhols Sat 28-May-16 13:53:24

I just honestly have noticed that if I shower I need to then shower again pretty soon, whereas if I skip a day, I don't. Weird smile

Wetbankhols Sat 28-May-16 13:54:30

I do agree though, that you feel 'fresher' somehow when you have a daily bath or shower, I just can't be arsed always.

gingergenie Sat 28-May-16 13:54:53

OP and clopy I'm with you. I don't shower daily. I wash what's necessary and I know my kids would definitely tell me if I was stinky. As would oh!

FanDabbyFloozy Sat 28-May-16 13:55:06

The reason previous posters mention not needing showers unless they shower is because the old deodorant is keeping them going for more than 1 day. It's not the shower that causes the sweat, it's the lack of any residual deodorant.

WeirdAndPissedOff Sat 28-May-16 13:55:31

I agree that you become nose blind very quickly. But disagree that you would necessarily stink if you showered every other day - long as you put deodorant on and weren't doing a physical job.

BastardGoDarkly Sat 28-May-16 13:57:56

<goes to google oxters>

JaceLancs Sat 28-May-16 13:58:06

I shower or bathe nearly every day, however I only wash my hair every 4-5 days
When I was younger I had to wash it every day, now it looks better if I don't wash it as often (wavy dry hair)

Wetbankhols Sat 28-May-16 13:58:20

I always put deodorant on though (roll on, I detest sprays) and it just seems to wear off faster.

WhatALoadOfWankers Sat 28-May-16 13:59:01

I think that although you may not stink you will smell stale IYSWIM

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now