Talk

Advanced search

To be upset my friend has asked for money?

(147 Posts)
Tobeavsangel Sat 28-May-16 11:42:40

I woke up to a text of a friend asking to borrow £700.

I dont have that kind of money to just lend out and not worry until next payday. Ive also recently purchased (last week) a new house and paid the deposit. Which she knows about.

I paid her phone bill a year ago and I wasnt paid back for over a month.

Im upset of being put in such an awkward position.

SharingMichelle Sat 28-May-16 11:43:15

Just say no smile

RandyMagnum Sat 28-May-16 11:44:13

No, only lend money if you can afford to lose it, or the friendship, or most probably; both.

blueskyinmarch Sat 28-May-16 11:44:35

You text back and say sorry but you can’t help her.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Sat 28-May-16 11:44:35

There doesn't have to be an awkward situation.

You can't afford to lend her £££'s so tell her and she 'll have to accept it.

SweetieDrops Sat 28-May-16 11:44:47

Just tell her you can't afford it, you're skint after the house purchase. She needs to learn to manage her own money better.

coco1810 Sat 28-May-16 11:45:15

Definitely say no! I wouldn't ask my parents for that amount of cash. Time to find a new friend.

chewingawasp Sat 28-May-16 11:45:35

What is this money for? In any effort that is a lot money to lend and I think most people would struggle to do this if a friend requested it.

HighDataUsage Sat 28-May-16 12:02:33

Send her a text to say that you don't have that sort of money to lend her any more as you a 're on a tight budget yourself. What did she want the money for any way?

KinkyAfro Sat 28-May-16 12:03:05

She should have the brains to realise that you probably don't have the money to lend after buying a house! Don't tell her you can't afford it, just tell her no, you no longer lend money to friends

myownprivateidaho Sat 28-May-16 12:05:39

I don't think it's awkward. Just say no. If she doesn't take no for an answer it's awkward.

nilbyname Sat 28-May-16 12:08:50

This would be my reply-

I'm assuming that text wayang for someone else! Hope your having a nice weekend, see you soon xxx

nilbyname Sat 28-May-16 12:09:11

* Was for

Flaming auto correct!!

Willow2016 Sat 28-May-16 12:10:24

Just say "no, sorry not got that kind of money to spare"
End of, no discussion.

DId she say what its for? Not that it matters, who asks to borrow £700 by stealth txt so you woke up to it, not even got the guts to ask to your face?

MiyakoOdori Sat 28-May-16 12:11:05

No is a complete sentence!

Just say I'm sorry what with the house purchase I don't have any money to spare.

Don't engage with any begging texts either

BranTriLlygaid Sat 28-May-16 12:12:07

Your friend sounds quite rude asking for that amount, can only assume she's very desperate to do so. You are under no obligation though, I think 'feeling upset and awkward' is a bit much. It's only awkward if she starts begging. I'd see if I can offer to help her situation in any other way, that is a lot of money to be needing to borrow!

VeryBitchyRestingFace Sat 28-May-16 12:12:34

£700??

How much was the phone bill you paid last year? Was it a similar amount? Did she approach you via text last time? shock

TheDuchessOfArbroathsHat Sat 28-May-16 12:13:17

Does she say what she needs that kind of money for? shock

myownprivateidaho Sat 28-May-16 12:13:32

God no don't send a pass agg response, so unnecessary.
Just be brief and honest - sorry no I can't.

VeryBitchyRestingFace Sat 28-May-16 12:13:55

Oh yeah, and what does she want the £700 for this time?

Nairsmellsbad Sat 28-May-16 12:15:46

Just say no (nicely). The less you explain the less opportunity you give her to argue.

VeryBitchyRestingFace Sat 28-May-16 12:15:57

The evil in me would be tempted to text back and say

"you want to borrow 7 quid? Sure, but I'll need it back by the end of x. Bit tight at the moment due to house sale."

blush

SaveSomeSpendSome Sat 28-May-16 12:16:06

Never a lender nor a borrower be!!

I never lend money.

I have done years ago but it then came to the point were once someone had paid me back they were asking for a borrow again within 2 weeks so i was never actually getting the money back as it was being borrowed again.

228agreenend Sat 28-May-16 12:25:12

£700 ! That's a lot,of money. What does she want it for.

Just say no!

WhatchaMaCalllit Sat 28-May-16 12:25:40

I'd reply with
"Hi x, I'm after getting your text message. Since completing the purchase of my new house, I don't have any money spare to loan you." You could finish by saying sorry, but that would be your choice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now