Talk

Advanced search

Baby names threads!

(8 Posts)
Bumski Sat 28-May-16 09:16:06

Aibu to think they get really tedious....?

I'm on baby names a lot at the moment but am so tired of

"We're finally down to Oliver, Harry, Thomas and Jack, which do you prefer and why?"........

They're all the same! Normal names, don't stand out, just bloody pick one at random!

I could understand a bit more if it was "Wolfgang, Amos or William?".....

HackerFucker22 Sat 28-May-16 09:26:11

I get the rage with this current MN phenomenon of giving a child and name and a nickname.... don't nickname's just evolve?

Hate the trend of name and nn being quite different as well 'Baby will be called Dave nn John'

*my above example is not real grin

RandyMagnum Sat 28-May-16 09:30:22

At least they're not as tedious as the threads where someone's having problems with their childs name (it being spelled incorectly by people all the time "because we've chosen to spell it differently than normal", or someone they know has "stolen" their childs name to name their own child the same).

Threads, where the OP won't actually say what the name is, as if it's some sort of super top secret thing, and go through riddles or says multiple other names which are similar but not the name exactly, then half the thread just turns in to people trying to guess the actual name the OP is talking about so that everyone can have some sort of idea what the OP is trying to say.

curren Sat 28-May-16 09:37:56

I don't get why people give a child a name then insist everyone uses a nick name.

My dbro did this. Gave his second child a name but we must use the child's nickname. We aren't allowed to use the actual name at all. confused

Sparklingbrook Sat 28-May-16 09:42:13

I had my DC way before I found MN. I had no idea there were name matching rules for siblings.

Nobody cares what you name your DC in RL, I don't see the point in asking random internet strangers what they think. confused

OwlinaTree Sat 28-May-16 09:48:46

Thing is, random strangers on the internet will be honest with you about what they think of the proposed name. People in real life, not so much!

itmustbemyage Sat 28-May-16 09:59:32

I thought it was just me who found this whole baby names obsession odd. I managed to name both my DS's without asking random strangers for their input. Shock horror, both my sons are called their actual names and don't have nn's.
Also my advice would be, if you don't want your child to have to constantly spell out their name or have to put up having it spelled wrong at school, activities, sports etc don't give them a 'unique' name or spell a perfectly traditional name in an unusual way. I work with a lot of children that I don't know personally and trying to get the spelling of names correct is a nightmare e.g six different spellings of Rebecca is just unnecessary.

Sparklingbrook Sat 28-May-16 10:11:39

But asking random internet strangers if one name goes with another is just odd.

Plus unless the name is really bizarre the random internet strangers won't really care too much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now