Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think kaspersky are holding my computer hostage

(9 Posts)
dontdoitchicken Fri 27-May-16 20:03:28

i have a old laptop i have used with kaspersky security and then stopped using and want to add a new version of it on there but i have forgotten the password and i have no clue which email account i used for it so i cant remove the program from my computer as you need the password for this,
I cant update my licence to make my anti virus valid as you need a password for this and there is no way to reset the password without the email address which i don't have so basically my laptop is a expensive paperweight !!

GrimmauldPlace Fri 27-May-16 20:04:58

Contact kaspersky and see what they can do.

dontdoitchicken Fri 27-May-16 20:06:55

i cant contact them as you need to sign into the account its from so they can fix it and since i dont know the email or the password i cant contact them

GrimmauldPlace Fri 27-May-16 20:10:25

Well that's a bit stupid. Them, not you. I've found an article here that might help you uninstall it and then you can start again with a new account.

dontdoitchicken Fri 27-May-16 20:16:39

i tried the safe mode reinstall one but it didn't work i mean there has to be another way i cant be the only one this has happened to before

Imnotaslimjim Fri 27-May-16 20:22:10

DH is an IT technician, he said have a google for a removal tool

dontdoitchicken Fri 27-May-16 20:25:56

I am happy to keep the software but need to remove the password as I have a code for a New Years worth of it but surely there has to be a way like a backdoor they keep for people who forget

GrimmauldPlace Fri 27-May-16 20:41:06

How many email addresses do you have? Too many to trial and error it and try them all?

GrimmauldPlace Fri 27-May-16 20:42:12

Oh and that safe mode method might work if you disconnect from the Internet, if you didn't already try that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now