Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to not want this job?

(13 Posts)
2coldinscotland Thu 26-May-16 21:41:22

Been a full time mum for a few years. Now looking at getting back to work mainly due to change in circumstances. Been unsuccessful so far in getting a term time clerical job. Job advertised for a taxi controller at night which would allow me to be there for school pick up, drop offs and crucially school holidays. Went for interview and asked if I want to come for training. Job pays minimum wage but this would still be helpful, i.e would pay enough for me and kids to be able to do things during summer hols. But I hate the thought of it, it is in a horrible portacabin in back of beyond. I'd be on my own and the people I met were smelly ! On one hand it would give me much needed cash until something better came along but on the other I just feel dread. What do you think?

VeryBitchyRestingFace Thu 26-May-16 21:43:35

I would take it, unless it's going to be very difficult to get to, being so far out?

That old chestnut about it being easier to find a job, when you're in a job, applies.

Euphemia Thu 26-May-16 21:45:35

Could you make the portacabin nicer? Would you need to have much to do with the smelly people?!

MrsSpecter Thu 26-May-16 21:46:26

I wouldnt write it off without trying it. You may be surprised at how much you like it.

MrsSpecter Thu 26-May-16 21:47:48

You could always keep a little kit with dettol wipes, alcohol gel, air freshener at your desk.

jellyjiggles Thu 26-May-16 21:49:00

Depends how much you need the money. If you really need it then take the job and seriously look to move. If it's unbearable then leave.

AnotherBloodyChinHair Thu 26-May-16 21:49:41

Take it and keep looking. Check the websites of your localprimary and secondary schools for admin jobs. Secondary schools might be looking for invigilators.

toffeeboffin Thu 26-May-16 21:58:24

Would you be alone in the ports cabin?

2coldinscotland Thu 26-May-16 22:12:48

Thanks for your replies . Will just think of the money .

DrHarleenFrancesQuinzel Thu 26-May-16 22:14:14

Depends how much you need the job. If its something you desperately need to put food on the table or a roof over your head then yes do it. but if its something that you can manage without then dont. Ive had awful jobs before and Ive left without another job to go to on a few occasions. Life's too short to be stuck in a job you really really hate and dread going to.

Of course you should maybe try it out before deciding that you hate it, but be careful that you thinking you hate it will actually make you hate it when there was no need to in the first place. Hope that makes sense.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Thu 26-May-16 22:16:14

If you're not desperate I'd turn it down and keep applying for better jobs.

Just because they've offered doesn't mean you have to accept.

PerpendicularVincent Thu 26-May-16 22:20:03

We're the people friendly?

Personally, I wouldn't turn down a job without giving it a try. It'll provide you with money and experience which you can use to move on to something better.

Whensmyturn Thu 26-May-16 22:55:32

I think jobs seldom look attractive. They usually look scary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now