Advanced search

DS treatment cellulitus!

(32 Posts)
beggingbehind Wed 25-May-16 22:38:08

I have posted this in children's health before this happened iyswim. Ds got cellulitus in arm was put on anti-bs it spread a bit on another anti-b and told to come back if it got worse or go to A&E. This afternnon spread alot pus and liquid coming out of wound and a lump was getting slowly bigger under wound and he was throwing up. I took him to A&E. Nurses were lovely and having waited for a couple of hours to see doc he had a look at it said it hadn't spread (It had since we had been there!) ]hmm] That there wasn't any pus in it (there was clear liquid coming out) to which DS poked it on the lump and a bit of green pus came out doc said "so there is a bit." Said carry on with anti-bs it should be fine theres nothing seriously wrong with it! He asked for pain killers non were given after seeing doc for 5 mins we left! It takes alot of courage for DS to go to hosptitial he went and nothing was done. I wasnt exactly expecting IV anti-bs but at least blood work or something. I might be over reacting but he is prone to celulitus and abbses. Once a doctor left it for a couple days we went back to doc and he ended up having surgery so it just scares me (and him). AIBU to think something else should have been done know DS is refusing togo to hospitial again. Hes been on anti-bs since monday which i realise isnt a long time. Hes in so much pain and fed up so am i .

beggingbehind Wed 25-May-16 22:42:41

He has mental Helath problems and has been seen in A&E with these before and is sort of reason he has the infection in first place and he feels there judging which is why he hates A&E iyswim

lougle Wed 25-May-16 22:43:27

How old is your DS? Does he have a fever? Is his heart rate higher than normal? Is his breathing faster or slower than normal (you'd need to check this without him realising you were doing it because people subconsciously match your breathing when they see you counting!)?

The best thing you can do is photograph the arm and use a biro to mark the edge of the rash.

beggingbehind Wed 25-May-16 22:45:47

We have done biro (thing) even at hospitial it spread slightly. He has a temp of 37.6 which for him is high (but apparently isnt hmm) breathing nromal, heart rate slightly high. He is 16

Welshmaenad Wed 25-May-16 22:46:07

Hmmmm, having had cellulitis several times and it being treated far more seriously,it does sound lackadaisical, however I'm a diabetic with two paternal aunts/uncles who have had amputations due to cellulitis so they're probably a bit terrified of me.

Have you considered making a complaint via PALS to see what the LHB's justification is?

Myusernameismyusername Wed 25-May-16 22:47:02

Yes contact PALs and see GP tomorrow?

CrapDIL Wed 25-May-16 22:47:44

Can you get to another A&E? Do you think you could convince him to go?

StopShoutingAtYourBrother Wed 25-May-16 22:48:26

Take a pen and mark around the cellulitis. Bear in mind anti bs will take 24 hours to work, if it's not getting better then I'd go back I'm afraid. Check us breathing is ok and he's not getting sleepy

Justbeingnosey123 Wed 25-May-16 22:49:59

It's a very difficult situation. From my experience all I can say is pain killer wise there isn't really anything but paracetamol and ibuprofen. As for what should they have done 48hrs is the minimum time to see if antibiotics are working so I can see why they haven't changed anything yet. As for blood tests yes they could of but as always it's weighing up a traumatic experience (bloods) vs what it tells you (nothing there is a clear cellulitis there.) as theory wouldn't of added anything I can see why they weren't done. However none of that is a help to you or your poor DS, my advice would be to draw round the red area and take pictures, so if it carries on you can clearly show any changes to them. Hope that helps

beggingbehind Wed 25-May-16 22:50:24

We have a nurse apptment tomorrow )DS dosent want to go) at GP who said if hadn't improved he'd be sent to hospitial. But even if DS goes hes gonna say doc said it was fine so dont know if nurse will send us i almost want her to! No A&E around for 40 miles

beggingbehind Wed 25-May-16 22:53:10

Its already spready by a couple MM! Hes been on them 48 hours already.

StopShoutingAtYourBrother Wed 25-May-16 22:55:20

Good advice - then check in the morning. It will give you a good indicator of how quickly it is spreading and therefore how seriously the docs should take it. Hope he's ok OP

MrsKCastle Wed 25-May-16 22:59:49

I saw your first thread and am surprised the doctor tonight didn't take it more seriously. Weren't they concerned about the vomiting at all? Do take your DS back if it gets worse tonight. How quickly is it spreading?

Out2pasture Wed 25-May-16 23:01:38

eventually I'm sure this will be treated but I would want to know why he is prone to this? has he been tested to see if he is a carrier of mrsa? for those that are often special soaps are prescribed.

lougle Wed 25-May-16 23:06:24

I'm a little concerned that it is continuing to spread after 48 hours on abx, tbh. Which part of his arm is it on? Is it near a joint?

beggingbehind Wed 25-May-16 23:07:35

Apparently the vomiting isnt bad as he had an hour between throwing up. He has conditions that weaken his immune systemn and skin conditions. He has also never responded well to tablet anti-bs since he were a bain.

beggingbehind Wed 25-May-16 23:08:54

No not near joint a few centimetres away.

beggingbehind Wed 25-May-16 23:14:11

I can see where DS is coming from i don't want him to go to apptment tomorrow and them send him to hospitial after weve been tonight! I think they might after apptment it would have been 72hours on anti-bs no improvement which Doc said would require treatment in hospital.

Justbeingnosey123 Wed 25-May-16 23:14:20

The nurse's appointment tomorrow would be great if Ds would attend as a referral from a gp/nurse may (depends on local set up) get you into see a specialist team as oppose to a&e Drs who I'm guessing you saw today. Like I said that does depend a on where you are. From your post I understood he had changed antibiotics has he been on the new ones 48hrs? If it's spreading fast then go back before but the nurse maybe a comprise you can come to together??

beggingbehind Wed 25-May-16 23:19:37

Yes, justbeing, we get a referral to Children's Assessment Unit which would be good. But after doc said it was fine i dont know if nurse will send us although they did say if it hadn't improved he'd need to go in. Hes been on one for a little over 48hours ad added another lot 24hours ago.

Justbeingnosey123 Wed 25-May-16 23:23:36

She/He will send you if they are worried, regardless of what today's dr said they are professionals who have to make their own judgement and take appropriate actions so it shouldn't matter, what was said/done today.

beggingbehind Wed 25-May-16 23:32:51

Thank you

beggingbehind Thu 26-May-16 07:43:12

Im hoping the appotment today can shed come light on whats been going on

MrsKCastle Thu 26-May-16 07:52:51

How does it look this morning begging?

beggingbehind Thu 26-May-16 07:55:18

Well (this might not make sence) but its spread a little more but less red (less angry looking) iyswim. So the antibiotics must be doing something but hes still in pain and the lump got harder

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now