Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be annoyed that everyone seems to be on their phones all the time?

(79 Posts)
kristinmoore0022 Wed 25-May-16 18:42:04

On the train, when driving, when at a restaurant, while walking down the road. Even if they are not using it the phone is often clutched in a hand.

I know I should live and let live and I probably am being unreasonable but the fact that many people seem to have these phones surgically attached is really annoying me. Can't people spend a bit of time being alone every so often?

Lilaclily Wed 25-May-16 18:43:20

I'm usually alone
Mumsnetting is still alone yes?

kristinmoore0022 Wed 25-May-16 18:45:55

Lilaclily Not really, you are physically alone but still having input from others, although digitally. I really mean being alone with your own thoughts without distraction.

EquinoxBloom Wed 25-May-16 18:46:18

Are you mumsnetting from your phone?

Why are you online? Wouldn't it be more fun to sit and stare at the wall for a while?

Welshmaenad Wed 25-May-16 18:48:11

I don't really understand the point of getting 'annoyed' at what others choose to do when it has zero impact on you.

Personally I need distracting from my own thoughts or I would go insane grin

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Wed 25-May-16 18:49:02

I'd watch tv, but that involves input from other people.
I'd read a book, but someone wrote it so that's no good either.

<puts down phone>
<stares at wall>

kristinmoore0022 Wed 25-May-16 18:49:02

EquinoxBloom I never said that it was something not to do full stop, but it's the constant nature of it that is disturbing (especially walking/on the phone at the same time - why do people need to do this?)

oldlaundbooth Wed 25-May-16 18:49:07

It annoys me too.

But I do it all the time so don't really moan about it.

Dozer Wed 25-May-16 18:49:36

Driving - not OK, dangerous.
Walking - not a great plan, dangerous/risk of mugging.
In a restaurant - rude if with other people who might mind, alone - not your business
On train - not your business

Jushilicious Wed 25-May-16 18:52:11

I find it very annoying too but am guilty of it myself although not when I have company or in a restaurant or driving.
It really annoys me when girls walk around with a mobile in their hand but no handbag! What's that all about?

kristinmoore0022 Wed 25-May-16 18:52:17

I said in the first post that I probably am being unreasonable, but it does annoy me.

I have to admit that I have taken to deliberately walking into people who are walking and texting at the same time, hopefully next time they think again.

Dozer Wed 25-May-16 18:54:42

That's aggressive and mean.

Mobile punishment vigilantism hmm

dudsville Wed 25-May-16 18:56:27

I don't mind, phone, book, head phones, whatever floats your boat.

dudsville Wed 25-May-16 18:57:03

and anyway, how do you know they don't spend time alone?

NameChangeMum456 Wed 25-May-16 18:57:48

Not annoying to me, mostly because before phones I had my nose in a book the same way. Now it's either my phone or my Kindle, although not when I'm walking and I don't drive.

kristinmoore0022 Wed 25-May-16 18:58:10

A book I could get behind

powershowerforanhour Wed 25-May-16 18:58:49

They've probably got crap reception at home.

gamerchick Wed 25-May-16 19:01:09

It's the zombie apocalypse, it did come grin

gamerchick Wed 25-May-16 19:03:07

Pipbin Wed 25-May-16 19:04:54

Before phones people had different distractions.

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Wed 25-May-16 19:05:18

What if they're reading a book on iBooks?

EquinoxBloom Wed 25-May-16 19:05:39

How do you know it's constant? Do you follow them around?

VenusRising Wed 25-May-16 19:05:47

I sort of know what you mean op: I'm rather old fashioned, conversation at meal time kind of gal.

BUT you'd probably think I'm a phone wearing knob as my phone at the moment is massive and doesn't fit in my pocket....so I have it in my hand when I'm out and about also I can never hear it ring if I have it in my bag

Not sure what you intend to get as a result from assaulting people though.. Take it easy eh? They're not doing it to annoy you after all- no need for a personal and aggressive response....

Maybe try a session with a counsellor...
Were you much ignored as a child? Seems a very strong reaction to deliberately bump into people...... You do know that's assault don't you?

juneau Wed 25-May-16 19:08:23

I have to admit that I have taken to deliberately walking into people who are walking and texting at the same time

grin

Yeah, it pisses me off two OP. I look at my phone, but I'm not surgically attached to it and I often leave it lying around somewhere and don't notice for hours.

I love that painting of how people ignored each other before smartphones. A good book has always done the trick for me.

juneau Wed 25-May-16 19:08:39

two? too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now