Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think being charged to have the dye washed out of my hair is wrong?

(21 Posts)
Wensleydale1 Wed 25-May-16 17:59:58

I've just got back from having my greys done and didn't have a blow-dry as normal, she just literally blasted my hair for one minute to stop it dripping (still completely wet). So I thought I'd pay the £45 listed for a full head colour. But I was charged £52 - and when I queried it the manager said that was for having my hair washed. Wtf? She said it was classed as a 'second service' so I explained that it couldn't be, because I couldn't have walked out of the salon with a hair full of dye could I, so it wasn't a choice. But she just kept going on about how some places charge £70 for a full head of colour. But that's not the point, is it, it's not being transparent about what a full head of colour will actually cost. It's always going to be a minimum of £52, not £45, so list it as £52!!!

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Wed 25-May-16 18:01:19

I agree with you. Never had a wash during a hair dye being charged as extra.

Threepineapples Wed 25-May-16 18:04:53

Yanbu - Washing out is part of the colour fee at the salon I go to

abbieanders Wed 25-May-16 18:08:39

I wouldn't go back. Ridiculous.

getyourfingeroutyournose Wed 25-May-16 18:11:55

They should have advertised the price as £52 or told you what the total would be before hand. Yanbu.

Wensleydale1 Wed 25-May-16 18:13:14

It's a shame because the girl that does my hair is great and always does a good job! I feel a bit uncomfortable going back after raising this with the manager

ShatnersBassoon Wed 25-May-16 18:15:20

YANBU. Removing the dye is certainly part of that one service. It isn't optional.

freshprincess Wed 25-May-16 18:18:42

I've never heard of that. You hardly have the option to refuse it.

louisagradgrind Wed 25-May-16 18:22:23

That sounds nonsensical and YANBU.

Elledouble Wed 25-May-16 18:29:08

YANBU! I've had my hair dyed professionally loads of times and I've always had the wash afterwards quoted as part of the price. That's an insane way to do business.

Comingfoccacia Wed 25-May-16 18:38:05

I once asked not to have a blow dry after a hair dye but was told that the salon would allow me to leave without one as it would "reflect badly on the salon" but still wanted to charge me £20 for the blow dry......they lost my business there and then.

Comingfoccacia Wed 25-May-16 18:39:11

YANBU

TheJunctionBaby Wed 25-May-16 18:39:58

YANBU. have they got a social media page like facebook/twitter/instagram? If so, I'd post your grievance on there. Whenever I've done that, companies/businesses have fallen over themselves to rectify the matter

Wensleydale1 Wed 25-May-16 18:44:23

I sent a (private) complaint through their website feedback form and the owner has offered to refund me the £7. She said that some people who live nearby actually ask to leave the salon with the dye on so they can wash it off at home (?!!!)

That's ridiculous. A wash and blow dry is charged separately at my salon, but if I didn't want the blow dry I'd just pay the price for colour- which includes rinsing it off. Thats hardly a second service - I'd go with JunctionBaby 's suggestion then never return to the salon.

As for quoting other salon prices - that's neither here nor there, hers is the salon you chose!

gingerbreadmanm Wed 25-May-16 18:52:28

Another one who was told a blow dry was compulsory with a colour and you would be charged for it. Ridiculous really.

clam Wed 25-May-16 19:05:49

It's a bit like a garage repairing your car's engine and then charging you extra to replace all the bits they've temporarily removed during the work.

ENormaSnob Wed 25-May-16 19:13:48

Eh?

Yanbu

littleniki Wed 25-May-16 21:53:06

Was it the wash at the beginning that was extra. In my salon u can pay the bit extra to have a proper wash and blow dry before and after. Or not pay it and have it sprayed down with a spray bottle and a hairdryer blast at the end so it doesn't drip

AngieBolen Wed 25-May-16 21:58:17

Some people go home with the colour on?

She is surely bullshitting you. At the salon I go to I'm not allowed to leave until I've had the colour checked.

I would look for somewhere else.

TheWitTank Wed 25-May-16 22:11:11

Agree, that's ridiculous. A wash out of dye should be included in the price. Are you supposed to trot off home with a full head of foils or plastered in dye if you don't pay?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now