Talk

Advanced search

To think that it's an unwritten rule that if you bump into someone you know in the doctors waiting room you don't ask what they're there for?

(13 Posts)
DextersMistress Wed 25-May-16 11:11:44

You chat, make small talk etc. but asking why you're seeing the doctor is so rude imo. Aibu? Doesn't everyone know this??

Iamcheeseman Wed 25-May-16 11:16:45

God yes!

Clarkgriswoldforever Wed 25-May-16 11:17:53

Yanbu.

curren Wed 25-May-16 11:20:53

Yanbu. But I can imagine me asking that as a automatic reaction, whilst thinking 'what the fuck are you asking that for?'

But in fairness I would then correct myself and say 'I shouldn't have asked that...sorry'

saoirse31 Wed 25-May-16 11:21:07

Another unwritten rule as an adult is that you're capable of deflecting, avoiding or lying to deal with this.

IAmAPaleontologist Wed 25-May-16 11:21:12

God yes! Though dh once bumped into a friend who was picking up maternity notes and had them in hand. That was awkward as of course it was well before the pregnancy was being made public knowledge. Dh was dropping in his sample post vasectomy. Interesting conversation that was hmm

BreconBeBuggered Wed 25-May-16 11:24:46

I assume it's a gauche attempt at bringing the conversation round to what they're there for. 'Ah, just routine. You okay?' generally sets things in the right direction. Persistent probers will be told to bog off.

Seeline Wed 25-May-16 11:26:39

YANBU Although my automatic response when seeing someone I vaguely know is Hello - how are you? Bloody stupid question at the GPs! Obviously I don't really want a run-down on their health status. However, my automatic response to such a question is always fine thanks - as I hobble/hack/crawl my way into the consulting room grin

CuteHoor Wed 25-May-16 11:28:22

Of course, yanbu. Persistent probers that can't be frozen out with a hard stare will be treated to a gory account of my entirely fictional piles. Or even offered a peek.

RuggerHug Wed 25-May-16 11:28:44

Yanbu! I had someone I didn't know decide after polite chat (through gritted teeth, clutching guts, one word answers from me) decide to start asking why I was there when I was waiting in A&E! angry

NeedACleverNN Wed 25-May-16 11:31:24

I tend to say "everything ok?"

This gives them a chance to either say "oh yeah fine thanks" meaning bugger off I don't want to talk about it or "actually I'm really scared. I've found a lump somewhere" meaning they want to talk about it but don't have a chance without sounding rude

AyeAmarok Wed 25-May-16 11:32:06

God yes!

I think I'd give the answer of "To see the doctor <hard stare>".

And if they didn't immediately change the subject then I'd just raise an eyebrow.

DextersMistress Wed 25-May-16 11:45:43

I just find it so awkward and find myself stumbling over words. What I want to say is 'well <random acquaintance from school gates> that's none of your fucking business'

Or my dm's over sharing friend, 'hi Dex, I'm having a smear today, what you in for'? angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now