Talk

Advanced search

to complain that DD had an Empire Day theme at Rainbows?

(450 Posts)
DancesWithTimMinchin Tue 24-May-16 21:54:21

DH is from a former colony. We don't think celebrating our history of colonisation is appropriate or inclusive. When we complained, the people who organise the Rainbow's didn't think there was anything inappropriate about celebrating Empire Day as a theme for a history-based afternoon.

AWBU?

Skittlesss Tue 24-May-16 21:55:25

Yes. Very.

CaptainCrunch Tue 24-May-16 21:56:21

Oh, go away op.

TeaBelle Tue 24-May-16 21:56:46

Yes. Don't send her if you think it's that inappropriate. The leaders are volunteers ffs

dollylucy Tue 24-May-16 21:57:09

What did you complain about, exactly?

DancesWithTimMinchin Tue 24-May-16 21:59:46

We just think Common Wealth day would have been more appropriate, Our kids are descended form people who were oppressed by the British Empire.

originalmavis Tue 24-May-16 22:01:01

Where do you live?

DancesWithTimMinchin Tue 24-May-16 22:02:11

East Anglia

FreshHorizons Tue 24-May-16 22:02:47

They are all volunteers OP doing it for free. If you don't like it I am sure that they will be only too happy to have you as a leader and then you can be in at the planning.

blimeyalldecentnamesaregone Tue 24-May-16 22:03:53

Yes. Don't send her if you think it's that inappropriate. The leaders are volunteers ffs

^this with bells on^

FreshHorizons Tue 24-May-16 22:04:04

Having been a volunteer leader my answer to complainers would most definitely be 'OK - you do it'.

MrsRonBurgundy Tue 24-May-16 22:04:29

if you have enough time on your hands to get worked up about that, maybe you could consider volunteering and helping the lovely people that keep Rainbows running for no pay or reward??

originalmavis Tue 24-May-16 22:06:08

And you tell the children that they are half descendants of the evil empire, half of the oppressed?

acasualobserver Tue 24-May-16 22:06:51

Empire Day? Where school children were given a map and told to colour the British bits (ie most of it) red? No-one's observed Empire Day since 1950, surely?

reup Tue 24-May-16 22:07:00

That's so weird, it's not been celebrated since the '50s. Commonwealth day would have been so much better.

Akire Tue 24-May-16 22:07:16

If it was for a history evening then can't see much wrong. Yes British had an empire that's history you can't change that. I'm guessing there was lots of fun and cultural activities not Britain is better than anyone else. Can't see why you would object surely it's good thing to have a conversation about if your family feels it's been apressed and how things are better now or forever doomed and continues to be Britions fault depending on your view point.

Jimjamjoos Tue 24-May-16 22:07:45

YANBU. The Empire is definitely nothing to be celebrated. I would have a word. It's got nothing to do with being a volunteer or not. It's inappropriate.

DancesWithTimMinchin Tue 24-May-16 22:08:18

So because they are volunteers we can't ever question their judgement? That seems a little extreme. Maybe next week they can black them all up and have gollywog afternoon if they feel like it - after all they are all volunteers with my impressionable 5 year old, let them do what they like...

Jimjamjoos Tue 24-May-16 22:09:06

grin

neolara Tue 24-May-16 22:09:15

24th of May is Empire Day, or so my Granny used to tell me. It was Queen Victoria's birthday. (And mine. which is why I know these random facts).

Foofoobum Tue 24-May-16 22:09:46

I don't think you're being unreasonable at all. Unfortunately Britain still seems to believe the empire was something to celebrate rather than what it actually was - enforced colonisation and oppression. A time we should be ashamed of, I don't think it's anything to be proud of. Then again I don't read the daily mail or fear foreigners either. Looks like we're in the minority OP. That's no bad thing.

Akire Tue 24-May-16 22:10:59

But I doubt they were celebrating being oppressive rulers over half the world and how to govern and spores millions of people. What did the girls actually do???! learning about country's and cultures ?

acasualobserver Tue 24-May-16 22:12:03

Maybe next week they can black them all up and have gollywog afternoon if they feel like it

Well, that definitely would make the news! Although, weirdly, the children would probably rather enjoy it.

MissElizaBennettsBookmark Tue 24-May-16 22:12:05

YANBU

About as appropriate as celebrating Slavery Day or Nazi Day IMO

SlatternIsTrying Tue 24-May-16 22:12:34

Simple solution - don't send your child back.

I simply cannot get any indignation worked up at all about a group of volunteers trying to teach a bit of history to young ones in his manner.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now