Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think this wasn't on?

(5 Posts)
ColdTattyWaitingForSummer Tue 24-May-16 21:37:58

We moved to the area we're in about 18 months ago and ds(9) started at the local primary school. We've struggled to fit in and make friends (different background, accent etc). There have been some bullying issues and also issues where ds who is quite gentle really has struggled with the rough and tumble ways of the boys in his class. The school have generally been pretty supportive. There have also been problems on the way to and from school (I'm physically not able to walk him due to illness and the parents round here don't tend to anyway at that age), again the school have been supportive. Last week ds finally snapped and when a boy grabbed him to stop him getting out the gate (bruises back this up) he hit him back. The school accepted there was provocation and took ds's side. Today things really blew up. The other kid threatened ds, ds hit him (I'm not excusing that, I've told him he should have walked away). Next thing I know I have two strange women and a bunch of children on my doorstep accusing ds of all sorts (this child obviously showed them where we live) neither of them was even his mother! When I told them to leave and take it up with the school and politely said I'd attend any meetings arranged to discuss they were sweary and abusive. Aibu to think you don't deal with this stuff by showing up at someone's house and yelling at them?

CaptainCrunch Tue 24-May-16 21:41:07

That sounds awful op. I work in a school in a very rough area and this kind of nonsense isn't unheard of there. It's totally unacceptable. I'd be looking to move, this crap rarely gets better ime.

ColdTattyWaitingForSummer Tue 24-May-16 21:48:58

That's what scares me captain.. To give a bit of background to us ending up here, we became homeless due to domestic abuse, and in that situation you're rehoused wherever the council puts you. I could put in for a transfer or exchange, but it might be hard with the disabled adaptations I need. Thank you for the reply though, it's nice to hear I'm not just being 'precious'.

CaptainCrunch Tue 24-May-16 21:54:54

No, you're certainly not being precious, this is appalling. The area I work in has some lovely decent families but they're sadly outnumbered by drug dealers and violent offenders. It's the sort of place no one would choose to live, they end up there through dire circumstances. Please get out if you can, it won't improve any time soon.

ColdTattyWaitingForSummer Wed 25-May-16 14:56:58

I've kept him home from school today (I know what they've been doing for numeracy and literacy so we've been working on that). I've just had to chase up the school re a meeting because I'd heard nothing. I'm considering home schooling as that would solve some of the problem, but still really upset that this kind of thing is 'normal' in my community.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now