to be annoyed by Hemsley and Hemsley

(182 Posts)
Eachpeachpearplum1985 Mon 23-May-16 20:48:39

Just been watching 'eat well with hemsley and hemsley'. Their thing appears to be cooking healthy, gluten free food and being hip. Tonight they went to a mega fancy shop that stocked ridiculous ingredients like bee pollen at ridiculous prices. They also won't touch refined sugar, instead using maple syrup and date syrup. AIBU to think it would bankrupt you to eat like this and it's completely unnecessary? Sugar is sugar in whatever form no? What harm does gluten do to people who aren't ceoliacs?

lastqueenofscotland Mon 23-May-16 20:52:39

I can't fucking stand them/that bloody Ella woman, any of them. I think they have othorexia and its actually a really unhealthy attitude to food.

ALemonyPea Mon 23-May-16 20:54:20

Even the title of their show annoys me.

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 23-May-16 20:55:22

Yanbu at all

PoppyAmex Mon 23-May-16 20:56:19

YANBU, they are irritating and smug in equal measures, but YABU in thinking all sugars are created equal - they have very different glycemic indexes and my body behaves and reacts differently to them.

Silvertap Mon 23-May-16 20:58:02

They bug me too.
I like some of the recipes but I tell you, that farmer selling chicken really saw them coming.

Eachpeachpearplum1985 Mon 23-May-16 20:58:29

Really annoyed me when they were in the shop and said how refreshing it was not to be bombared by branding. Yeah and paying £££££ for the privilege of scooping some seeds out of a fancy jar.

QueenCuntyFlippers Mon 23-May-16 20:58:43

I managed 5 minutes before having to switch off.

Smugness on (gluten free) toast

Bails2014 Mon 23-May-16 21:01:09

We had to turn it over, their presenting is as bland as the sugar free food they cook, they are stunning to look at but even that only kept OH watching for half the program.

OhIfIMust Mon 23-May-16 21:02:30

YANBU. Food = good. Programme = utter shit. I can't bear their smug faces - and they come across terribly considering I actually have their cookbook - and use it?!

Dozyoldtwonk Mon 23-May-16 21:02:37

Sugars ARE different, and the proof is in how they make you feel after eating them ('clean' vs. refined). But I really disagree with their overall philosophy - it seems quite restrictive (no grains, no gluten, knowing the provenance of everything they eat) & for some, inaccessible due to cost. Labelling it 'eating well', implying that eating lesser quality meat isn't eating well, for example, is ridiculous & elitist.

But, they have a market.

IMO, Madeleine Shaw is a bit more balanced & less restrictive that the Hemsley sisters & Ella but her You Tube videos are cringeworthy & twee to say the least.

KittyVonCatsington Mon 23-May-16 21:03:39

And they keep cooking everything in ghee!!! That's hardly super healthy! Switched off after the third dish was being cooked in the stuff...

almondbutter Mon 23-May-16 21:06:07

Also don't think they're especially talented cooks. Everything is super simple and doesn't require much skill.
I get the sense they're nice and you could have a fun evening eating ghee at their house, but the writing is so winsome and grating.
Hated last week when they suggested kids could be converted away from pasta on to courgetti. KIDS ARE MEANT TO GROW AND EAT THINGS.

Thebigredcar Mon 23-May-16 21:06:37

Their food looks gorgeous I think....but they are sooo irritating to watch, smug and pretentious and the food is unrealistic for someone on my budget on a day to day basis.

Eachpeachpearplum1985 Mon 23-May-16 21:08:37

I think you summed it up better than me dozyoldtwonk - restrictive and elitist.

HmmmHashtag Mon 23-May-16 21:08:58

YANBU but... For some, gluten and grains can cause havoc with the old guts, not just coeliacs.

exexpat Mon 23-May-16 21:09:49

You might like this rant about the Hemsley sisters: angry-chef.com/blog/has-anyone-seen-my-ayurvedic-tongue-scraper

And this more general piece about wellness/clean eating/orthorexia by Ruby Tandoh: www.vice.com/en_uk/read/ruby-tandoh-eat-clean-wellness

BikeRunSki Mon 23-May-16 21:09:58

The description on the TV guide put me off when the series first started. There are enough posh girls cooking on tv as it is.

Terrifiedandregretful Mon 23-May-16 21:10:00

Yanbu. The best of their ilk is Madeleine Shaw I think. Her recipes are delicious. I disagree with them all re gluten though. Also they all happen to be young and beautiful; I doubt they'd get half the attention they do if they weren't.

Marmalady75 Mon 23-May-16 21:10:43

I was annoyed by their smug faces on the advert and couldn't even watch the programme. Glad I don't now!

icy121 Mon 23-May-16 21:10:48

the angry chef hates them. His is a great blog; read it for next time you find yourself hovering in the gluten free aisle even though you're not coeliac.

FairNotFair Mon 23-May-16 21:11:06

YANBU. Smugsville.

vulgarbunting Mon 23-May-16 21:11:53

I have just had their feta and black bean burgers this evening. I am totally bought into the clean eating thing, have the Hemsley cookbook and use it. But totally agree that their show isn't great.

OTheHugeManatee Mon 23-May-16 21:14:25

Most people who go gluten free aren't coeliac or even intolerant, they're doing it to lose weight.

YANBU, OP. The whole 'clean eating' thing is for the most part thinly disguised eating disorders with a side order of conspicuous consumption.

Wdigin2this Mon 23-May-16 21:22:42

Who the hell are they????

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now