To ban her mobile

(8 Posts)
WalkingBlind Mon 23-May-16 18:42:45

My DD's grandparents (dad's side) gave her a mobile to play games on which she has now become "obsessed" with. I let her play on my phone for limited periods with controlled settings so that this didn't happen but they aren't bothered about consequences (so there's no asking them to cool it, they'll just say no. Can't cut contact as it's during dad's hours).

Last time they sent her back with it and I'm not happy being responsible for it. It's quite expensive and there's no protective case, in fact I was so worried I'd have to pay for damage I bought one! She has a Leappad and so many toys I could keep santa in business, this isn't an item she needs, it's just them trying to get her one before I ever had the chance to so she favours them for spoiling her (there's backstory to back that up).

Fair enough if she was 13.... But she's 3 angry

Is it reasonable to say I won't have it in my house again or am I being a spoil sport?

Daffodil90 Mon 23-May-16 18:46:13

She's 3?? I went into reading this thinking you were going to say at least 10!

YANBU no way id let her keep it. Ok you might not be able to stop it when shes at their house but you can when at yours.

I'd be saying no.

VestalVirgin Mon 23-May-16 18:47:24

She's 3? Take it away. Like, really, for the next three years, minimum.

In my experience, virtual playing (as opposed to playing with real toys, like lego) doesn't build self-esteem and is essentially a waste of time. Which for a 3 year old who has some development to do, is really a problem.

halighhalighaliehaligh Mon 23-May-16 18:53:21

Nothing you can do about when she is with her dad but wouldn't let her have it at your house and would be severely limiting screen time as well if you suspect she's on it non stop with him. I would just tell your dd that she is too young and it is no good for her brain to be looking at a mobile phone so much. I would also be tempted to 'lose' it and refuse to replace it if I thought they'd be too tight to get another one.

Fpmd1710 Mon 23-May-16 18:58:04

YANBU, if your child breaks the phone the grandparents will probably look towards you to fix/replace it and they should not be forcing you into that position when they haven't got the OK from you. My DS occasionally plays about with my phone, but I refuse to let him on family and friends' phones because I will not accept responsibility for it

SquinkiesRule Mon 23-May-16 20:01:09

Take it away and put it up high where she won't get it, then send it back in her bag with her when she visits next. That way she gets to use it with them, not you and when she breaks it it'll be with them.

Myusernameismyusername Mon 23-May-16 20:03:12

Just put it on a big shelf and distract her from it with all her other things. Just say you don't feel comfortable being responsible for it so it's best to stay with ex

kerryob Mon 23-May-16 20:05:09

Wow I thought you were going to say 13 as well! Take it off her at home yanbu

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now