Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to not know whether to go back to GP

(17 Posts)
cjt110 Mon 23-May-16 14:33:47

DS (21m) wasn't well last week and was sent home on Thurs with a temp from nursery. I took him to the Drs and she said he had an ear infection and gave antibiotics. I gave 2 of the recommended 3 doses on the Thurs and the 3 doses a day. He has been on pain relief most of the time too as without it, he cries lots. He has been very out of sorts and even yesterday, still felt red hot. He is at my parents today and my Mum has said whilst he seems ok, he's very quiet and woke up very grumpy and in pain. I can't decide whether to take him back to get him checked, or just leave it.

Part of me wants to get him checked to see if his ear is any better and to check it hasn't spread anywhere else, and also query why he still appears to be getting a temp. Then the other part of me thinks we should let the antibiotics run their course (til Thurs) and see.

WWYD?

WorriedOrStressed Mon 23-May-16 14:38:27

Yes go back. Toddlers usually bounce back pretty rapidly especially after 3 days complete of antibiotics.

MintyBojingles Mon 23-May-16 14:39:53

So he's been on antibiotics for 3 days? If he's OK in himself other than grumpy I'd wait till tomorrow, see if another 24 hours makes a difference. If he seems worse I'd take him in. But I'm not medically trained.

DD had similar couple weeks ago, very high temp, ear infection, took 10 days to clear, about 8 days to come down to normal levels. But we had a trip to A&E at the end of it because she came out in non blanching rash. She was fine though. But better to get checked if you're worried.

cjt110 Mon 23-May-16 14:41:41

I don't want to be one of those mums but we were none the wiser before Thursday and just put his upset and unsettledness down to teething.

He is being quite clingy and sitting with/on us which is unheard of usually.

WorriedOrStressed Mon 23-May-16 14:52:10

Why don't you call the GP instead?

MintyBojingles Mon 23-May-16 14:54:01

Yes, call the GP and ask for advice. He doesn't sound like he's his normal self.

cjt110 Mon 23-May-16 14:55:07

Our GP doesn't do telephone consults sad Have called and got an appt for 5.10. He's usually on the go, never stops, full of beans. He's better than he was but still not himself. My mum has even commented that he's quiet.

trappedinsuburbia Mon 23-May-16 14:57:55

Yes your definitely doing the right thing, don't worry about being one of 'those' mums.

WorriedOrStressed Mon 23-May-16 14:58:27

Let us know how you get on OP

Welshmaenad Mon 23-May-16 14:59:49

My DS had quite a few ear infections as a small and after 48 hours of antibiotics he was always back on the up so you're definitely doing the right thing getting him checked over.

cjt110 Mon 23-May-16 15:03:29

I feel such a pain in the arse but I would feel even worse if it's gone deeper or something. Thank you for telling me what you'd do. I will update once we've been.

MintyBojingles Mon 23-May-16 19:27:23

How'd it go? Hope your boy is feeling better.

Witchend Mon 23-May-16 20:29:02

Ds (who got roughly 3-4 ear infections a month until he'd got grommets) would be better than he had been after 3 days of antibiotics but still gave a (lesser) temperature and be very clingy. Day 4 the antibiotics would have worked enough to bring his temperature into the normal range, but he' then be starting the tummy ache her got from antibiotics so be clingy from that.

cjt110 Tue 24-May-16 09:10:25

Hi all, all ok at the docs. Although he now has a viral rash. Dr said his ear looked much improved and reassured me he is happy to see my son any many times as needed.

NoahVale Tue 24-May-16 09:16:08

glad to hear your GP says that. very reassuring

WorriedOrStressed Tue 24-May-16 09:25:28

Glad GP was able to reassure you. Never think you are wasting their time, especially when it comes to your DC's health.

cjt110 Tue 24-May-16 10:53:56

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now