Talk

Advanced search

Unwanted Gift

(102 Posts)
TransvisionTramp Mon 23-May-16 12:51:07

I held a class party yesterday for DD, and she received a gift from one of her classmates that we had given them a few weeks ago.
I think it's quite funny and she likes it, so all's well (but note to parents, if you are going to recycle a gift, probably not a good idea to give it back to the person who bought it in the first place blush).
DH thinks it's outrageous and rude of the parents.
What does mumsnet think?

Sukebind Mon 23-May-16 12:54:32

Are you sure it's the exact same item? I mean, is it possible that the child liked it so much she bought the same for your child?

PinkFluffiUnicorn Mon 23-May-16 12:56:28

I recycle gifts, maybe they got a few of the same gifts and just didn't realise it had came from you.

GoofyIsACow Mon 23-May-16 12:57:19

I think it's pretty funny! I am sure she didn't mean to be rude, she would probably be mortified if she realised.

Pinkheart5915 Mon 23-May-16 12:57:40

Your DD likes it so it's ok. Although the parents could of given it too someone that hadn't brought it.

I remember my grandparents years ago at Christmas they gave the neighbours daughter (who was 24) a leather address book and they got it wrapped up from her the following year with address written in it of people they didn't know confused

Footle Mon 23-May-16 12:59:51

Buy your DH a grip. Wrap it up nicely.

Itsaplayonwords Mon 23-May-16 13:00:54

Maybe it wasn't unwanted. Maybe they got two of the same gift and, depending on the age of your DD, maybe they thought she helped choose it and liked it so it would be an appropriate gift back. Although it's probably more likely that they forgot it came from you in the first place.

curren Mon 23-May-16 13:01:54

Ds (5) and his best friend at school have the same birthday and we have their parties a week apart. The best friend got ds the Lego X-wing. And when his friend gave him it he kept saying he really wanted one too.

So I bought him a Lego X-wing at his party. Certainly wasn't recycled.

SabineUndine Mon 23-May-16 13:03:35

It's possible she already had one, or they got two?

EssentialHummus Mon 23-May-16 13:07:24

I am OK with re-gifting, though obviously there's a need to be careful not to bounce the gift right back to the giver.

In this case there are other explanations for it, as PP have said.

GasLightShining Mon 23-May-16 13:11:18

Used to re-gift quite often when DC were younger as duplicates were common

My mother gave my DD something which I had given to her

TransvisionTramp Mon 23-May-16 13:13:23

Hahah Pinkheart that's brilliant.

I didn't think that they might have bought the same thing for us, but I suspect it was ours. They originally couldn't come to the party but changed their mind last minute the evening before and the party was 10am on Sun. grin.
Either way it's fine, not being snarky I found it quite amusing and thought it would give some of you a laugh.

TransvisionTramp Mon 23-May-16 13:14:36

Also - yes possibly she had duplicates.

BiddyPop Mon 23-May-16 13:18:32

My DAunt intentionally did that to me a couple of Christmases ago - I ALWAYS get a set of smelly bath stuff from her, and DH gets a bottle of wine - but we got a board game we'd given her family the previous year that time. And then back to smellies and wine. (I always make DH share!).

But we've had duplication of gifts arriving here, and quite probably regifting in both directions amongst DCs class. It doesn't bother us - as long as the relevant DC has a present that they would like, and spares don't go to waste.

Toddzoid Mon 23-May-16 13:20:44

Probably a duplicate thing. A lot of people keep things like that on reserve for other people's birthdays. I doubt they realised it was from you, anyone with a conscience wouldn't regift the item back to the giver! They'd probably be embarrassed if they realised.

I wouldn't fret about it at all. It's not that rude either, just one of those things.

Toddzoid Mon 23-May-16 13:21:51

My Nan is always giving away stuff she doesn't use to people. I usually get a pile of toiletries. I once got a set I'd bought her for Christmas. She didn't realise at all and I didn't care. It was a nice set actually, I was quite happy to have my money back wink

BiddyPop Mon 23-May-16 13:24:56

BTW - I laughed at DAunt doing it - as it was a particular game I thought her DSDs would enjoy as a family but DAunt obviously took as a comment on their family dynamic! I don't care, its a good game!

BillBrysonsBeard Mon 23-May-16 13:25:36

Agree with you OP, not a big deal but pretty funny! I kinda think that it was their gift to give. I used to worry about choosing presents that my nieces and nephews already had, but then thought that it's the act of giving that counts, who cares if they already have it.. They can re-gift or sell.. It's theirs to do what they choose with. The giving of the gift was still much appreciated and acknowledged.

nitsparty Mon 23-May-16 13:27:39

not a major incident, I know, but what about Not Hurting People's Feelings? Does this count for nothing these days? Please let it be an oversight. It's hard to keep track of all the tat that your kids get given.

blindsider Mon 23-May-16 13:36:41

It's hard to keep track of all the tat that your kids get given.

This

TransvisionTramp Mon 23-May-16 13:40:22

Oh I'll definitely thank her when I see her at pick up. Like I said DD likes it - it's all good.
I'm not fretting at all, and really do think it's quite funny.
I'm also enjoying reading all the comments about Aunts and Nans regifting . grin

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER Mon 23-May-16 13:40:41

I don't suppose it was done deliberately. Can be hard to keep track of who gave what, esp. with a lot of kids at a party. Having said that I think a lot of kids do get too much. My SIngaporean SiL, 3 still fairly young children who get inundated on their birthdays, makes them give half their presents of toys away, I think to an orphanage. That's probably going a bit far, but the kids accept it.

Friend of mine used to get a frumpy sort of nightie from her MiL every Christmas. One year she gave her Mil what she thought was a nice new nightie, not a recycled one. And lo, it came right back to her the following year.😀

OutToGetYou Mon 23-May-16 13:45:15

No big deal - I keep a present cupboard for such situations, topping up with things for people I may well have to buy for, and if I get a gift I don't want that goes in there too. If a gift is needed at short notice there's usually something suitable.

The friend probably didn't tell her mum who the thing was from (if she could even remember, you know what kids are like).

Fatcakes Mon 23-May-16 13:45:53

My MIL regifted to me a photo album I had given to her 10 years before. It was better than the balloon modelling kit and freezer clips from her the Christmas before though.

OutToGetYou Mon 23-May-16 13:45:58

dss (15) and his mates al just give each other a £10 note in a card now - I suggested we mark it and check if it's the same one being passed around!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now